POLL: Will UST have a better KenPom ranking than our Gophs at all during the 2022-23 season?

Will UST have a better KenPom ranking than our Gophs at all during the 2022-23 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UST 10-0 at home 2-8 on the road. Probably lose the home court advantage when they move into their bigger arena.

Some are calling this a signature win for the Tomboys, however it wasn't enough to boost them past the Gophers in the kenpom rankings. Gophers are currently 182 while UST, still can't break past 200, sits at 206.

In your opinion, what's an acceptable spread between the two? Would it be OK if the Gophers were 35 and UST was 40?
It's not really about the magnitude of the spread between the two. It's that UST is a low-major Summit League team ranked in the lower half of college basketball teams. A fan of a P6 team should feel zero pride in being ranked ahead of such a pipsqueak, and embarrassment of being ranked anywhere near them.

In your opinion, what's an acceptable spread between the two? Would it be OK if the Gophers were 35 and UST was 40?
Honestly, I don't care how good St. Thomas is doing in the Kenpom. If we are at 35, I'm pretty happy regardless of where St. Thomas is located. If we are near 200, that's god awful regardless of where St. Thomas is ranked.

Now if a local team filled with half MIAC players is ever ranked higher than the Gophers, that should be a giant spotlight on just how awful our program really is.

Having a program that is similar to St. Thomas in their second year of D1 play should be unacceptable to everyone.

I don’t pay much attention to KenPom. Can someone tell me what these rankings are based on? Is it W-L and opponents factored in? Or some other stuff?

Intelligent comeback I knew it would take less than 10 minutes for that from you.. 🤡

What was wrong with what I said? Again... the Gophers being terrible doesn't make St. Thomas good no matter how hard you try.
I think most people are saying the same thing.

St. Thomas is a bad basketball team so it's especially embarrassing and unacceptable to be worse than them.

I think most people are saying the same thing.

St. Thomas is a bad basketball team so it's especially embarrassing and unacceptable to be worse than them.
Respectfully, just curious, have you attended any St. Thomas games this season? I’ve attended 6.

I understand that it’s an entirely different level of Division I basketball, it would be foolish not to acknowledge that, but one thing I can say unequivocally is St. Thomas is not a bad basketball team. They are fun to watch, well coached, give great effort, and maximize the talent they have. I’ve never left Schoenecker Arena thinking that’s a bad basketball team I just watched.

We’ll find out a lot more about the Tommies on Thursday night when they host Oral Roberts and Max Abmas. ORU is a big step up in weight class from the rest of the Summit League. It might not go well, but I’m looking forward to seeing if the Tommies can keep it competitive, heck, maybe even pull off a stunner.

Last edited:

Respectfully, just curious, have you attended any St. Thomas games this season? I’ve attended 6.

I understand that it’s an entirely different level of Division I basketball, it would be foolish not to acknowledge that, but one thing I can say unequivocally is St. Thomas is not a bad basketball team. They are fun to watch, well coached, give great effort, and maximize the talent they have. I’ve never left Schoenecker Arena thinking that’s a bad basketball team I just watched.

We’ll find out a lot more about the Tommies on Thursday night when they host Oral Roberts and Max Abmas. ORU is a big step up in weight class from the rest of the Summit League. It might not go well, but I’m looking forward to seeing if Tommies can keep it competitive.
Everyone should go to this game. Oral Roberts may go to the sweet 16 this year…and UST is fun to watch at home. Plus, the value of these tickets is so low, you can’t find a better deal to watch high level basketball in such close confines (it’s essentially a high school gym).

Not 100% certain, but I think they’ve already announced a sellout. But where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Not 100% certain, but I think they’ve already announced a sellout. But where there’s a will, there’s a way.
My issue with UST is season tickets are so cheap families bought them and rarely show up. I know multiple families who rarely go. So even though it’s a sell-out there are lots of empty seats (kids sports/working late/etc). These sports venues have to come up with a way to work with the season ticket holders on last second RSVPs essentially to resell the tickets to another person in order to create a better atmosphere in the arena

Last edited:

Different circumstances. No telling which team is actually better unless they played. I would bet on the Gophers and hate it.
Without Garcia it would be a coin flip. UST would smartly throw bodies at the poor foul shooters if needed to get back in the game, and oddly, they have superior guards.

Top Bottom