POLL: Will UST have a better KenPom ranking than our Gophs at all during the 2022-23 season?

Will UST have a better KenPom ranking than our Gophs at all during the 2022-23 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Respectfully, just curious, have you attended any St. Thomas games this season? I’ve attended 6.

I understand that it’s an entirely different level of Division I basketball, it would be foolish not to acknowledge that, but one thing I can say unequivocally is St. Thomas is not a bad basketball team. They are fun to watch, well coached, give great effort, and maximize the talent they have. I’ve never left Schoenecker Arena thinking that’s a bad basketball team I just watched.

We’ll find out a lot more about the Tommies on Thursday night when they host Oral Roberts and Max Abmas. ORU is a big step up in weight class from the rest of the Summit League. It might not go well, but I’m looking forward to seeing if the Tommies can keep it competitive, heck, maybe even pull off a stunner.
Don't get too offended by the "bad" adjective - 215 is underneath the average of D1 and is therefore objectively bad. You obviously get that it's a different standard for a Summit-level team - this does not discount that they can still be fun to watch, well-coached and compete well with others of their ilk. It's snobby, but to use a baseball analogy, a great minor league team is still a minor league team.

And the Gophers are worse than that....

Different circumstances. No telling which team is actually better unless they played. I would bet on the Gophers and hate it.
I agree with this completely. I'm just saying that we are in an absolute disaster scenario where I am not sure if we'd be favored on a neutral site.

Respectfully, just curious, have you attended any St. Thomas games this season? I’ve attended 6.

I understand that it’s an entirely different level of Division I basketball, it would be foolish not to acknowledge that, but one thing I can say unequivocally is St. Thomas is not a bad basketball team. They are fun to watch, well coached, give great effort, and maximize the talent they have. I’ve never left Schoenecker Arena thinking that’s a bad basketball team I just watched.

We’ll find out a lot more about the Tommies on Thursday night when they host Oral Roberts and Max Abmas. ORU is a big step up in weight class from the rest of the Summit League. It might not go well, but I’m looking forward to seeing if the Tommies can keep it competitive, heck, maybe even pull off a stunner.
No, no worries. I actually think what they've done is really impressive and I'm huge Johnny Tauer. Side note, I went to Nativity for grade school and if you grew up playing basketball while going to Nativity you thought the Tauer name was right up there with Wooden.

I have not been to a game but I've watched three games on Youtube (they have full games).

My point in calling them a bad basketball team is that they are a bad team team compared to Big 10 schools and it is a major issue if the Gophers have a worse KenPom ranking than UST in their third season of D1 basketball. The argument that UST has a higher Kenpom than the Gophers is more of a critique on the Gophers than a celebration of UST.

But you're right, they are really well coached, Rohde would be our best guard by miles, if they played the Gophers, I'd have to bet on UST, and I think they are a capable athletic guys over 6'8" away from being really dangerous.

No, no worries. I actually think what they've done is really impressive and I'm huge Johnny Tauer. Side note, I went to Nativity for grade school and if you grew up playing basketball while going to Nativity you thought the Tauer name was right up there with Wooden.

I have not been to a game but I've watched three games on Youtube (they have full games).

My point in calling them a bad basketball team is that they are a bad team team compared to Big 10 schools and it is a major issue if the Gophers have a worse KenPom ranking than UST in their third season of D1 basketball. The argument that UST has a higher Kenpom than the Gophers is more of a critique on the Gophers than a celebration of UST.

But you're right, they are really well coached, Rohde would be our best guard by miles, if they played the Gophers, I'd have to bet on UST, and I think they are a capable athletic guys over 6'8" away from being really dangerous.
They also need one guy 6’10” plus who weighs 265 who can bang. Clearly if he is in the summit he wont be the most skilled, but they need a bangerDD4295D0-DD7E-492C-8675-3DA778F54A95.jpeg

Not even that big 6’8 240 would good but I agree with you… anyone bigger than that with skill wouldn’t be in the Summit.

No harm intended, was just curious. Thanks for replying. ... and I agree about Andrew Rohde. UST & Tauer have a tough job on their hands this summer keeping him away from bigger schools.

Everyone should go to this game. Oral Roberts may go to the sweet 16 this year…and UST is fun to watch at home. Plus, the value of these tickets is so low, you can’t find a better deal to watch high level basketball in such close confines (it’s essentially a high school gym).

Calling all masochists. Think the Gophers are bad? Come see their leftover players in a high school gym!

No harm intended, was just curious. Thanks for replying. ... and I agree about Andrew Rohde. UST & Tauer have a tough job on their hands this summer keeping him away from bigger schools.
Rohde is not ready maybe in a year or two he could be he needs to improve from 3.. 28% ain’t going to cut it.. he needs to get bigger.. the SDSU kid that went Creighton is 40%+ career three point shooter and Griesel at Nebraska is high 30’s%…the potential is there the kid can play..

Both Scheierman and Griesel shooting percentages in all three categories have dipped this year which makes sense.. You don’t have 6’4 wings closing out on you they are 6’7 and you are not backing down 6’2 guards… both good players still

Even if you hate UST, Oral Roberts is a real team this year. Real basketball fans would understand that
Can you imagine being a Gopher fan and being dumb enough to mock other programs who are doing way better than us? I'd understand that logic if I wanted Ben to be canned, but could you imagine being dumb enough to mock those programs and still be a CBJ apologist?

If those programs are full of our leftovers and they're better than us (or it's even close), wtf does that say about our coach?

Oh no, it didn't feel like a gotcha post. I think UST won't have to sweat it too much this summer but next summer could get interesting.

Can you imagine being a Gopher fan and being dumb enough to mock other programs who are doing way better than us? I'd understand that logic if I wanted Ben to be canned, but could you imagine being dumb enough to mock those programs and still be a CBJ apologist?

If those programs are full of our leftovers and they're better than us (or it's even close), wtf does that say about our coach?
Can we mock their alumni who post here using the Gophers downfall as a way to boost their teams image?

Can you imagine being too stupid to understand the following:

Can we mock their alumni who post here using the Gophers downfall as a way to boost their teams image?

PJ won the last regular season game at Wisconsin his second year to avoid back to back 5-7 seasons. When Ben Johnson got here we had no one on the team after the players had left. And honestly we only had a few who I would have wanted to keep and they weren’t going to be staying here. I think Johnson has done a pretty good job recruiting since he has been here. He have a great class coming in and this last class was also very good. That’s not counting Garcia and Battle. A lot of schools also wanted Parker Fox, but unfortunately he hadn’t been able to play here yet. Johnson has built relationships with coaches in the state that the last coach had totally messed up. Missing out on Winter (and Robison) had more to do with what had happened here the previous 7 years than it did with Ben Johnson. Plus…i think we are in pretty good shape even without Winter on next years class. I know the U did make him a priority though.
Lol. But he WON. Comparing PJ to Johnson is ridiculous at this point. It’s comparable to PJ going 4-8 and 3-9.

He never made the NCAA tournament. Pitino did twice.

Indiana in basketball is no different than Nebraska in football. They haven't been a power in either sport for over 20 years. I know you're not going to tell me we can't compete with Nebraska in football, so why are you moving the goal posts with Indiana in basketball? It's not an awful comparison at all.
Bull. Indiana has had multiple excellent seasons in the past 20 years.

Why would you hire Pitino’s ex assistant for a HC job?
Because he can recruit 5-stars.

But the way, i haven't figured out who your team is yet. I've pressed a few others on here...and we have Wisconsin obviously, St. Thomas, Michigan State, UMD...but who's your team?

Because he can recruit 5-stars.

But the way, i haven't figured out who your team is yet. I've pressed a few others on here...and we have Wisconsin obviously, St. Thomas, Michigan State, UMD...but who's your team?
Why does it matter? People can root for multiple teams. I’m sure if people compared the content of @Spaulding!No! to you, the content (whether positive or negative) is still more thought provoking than what you provide to this online forum (which doesn’t require a blood oath to post). Your takes have been so bad you literally had to switch user names (then blame it on not remembering your password, yet every website known to man has a password reset option). Either they are all hail CBJ and this is year double zero or future star Evans is coming next year, we are saved.

So even if @Spaulding!No! has some negative takes, who cares, sometimes they are accurate, there should be more negative than positive with the Gophers program…otherwise apathy has fully set in.

First time at a UST game last night for me and was pleasantly surprised, great atmosphere and a back and forth game for the most part. Rohde is legit, think Kendall Blue will be really good down the line too. As stated above, they don't have any beef down low-ultimately why I think ORU was able to win.

Definitely had a big-game atmosphere. Felt like a tournament game. Both teams making big runs back and forth, multiple guys from both teams making shots. Tommies played really well (I think 16 3s?), but Oral Roberts showed why they’ve won so many games. Answered every UST run, never once lost their poise.

Top Bottom