POLL: Will UST have a better KenPom ranking than our Gophs at all during the 2022-23 season?

Will UST have a better KenPom ranking than our Gophs at all during the 2022-23 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Then I should win an award for being in deep cover. I’ve been pretending to be a gopher fan for decades, bought season tickets for over a decade, attended the U, and even went to the game yesterday just to pretend to be a Gopher fan to mock Ben Johnson.

Just so you have this crystal clear, badger fans do not want us to replace Ben Johnson, they like him right where he is.
Is there proof of you at the game yesterday? Maybe you go for social reasons or something instead of because you're a fan. Like to hang out with Wet_Blanket & Spaulding and that crowd. LOL

As for Badger fans liking us having Ben Johnson as coach...how many outstate 5-stars have they reeled-in recently? I'm willing to roll the dice on this style of recruiting vs theirs.

Is there proof of you at the game yesterday? Maybe you go for social reasons or something instead of because you're a fan. Like to hang out with Wet_Blanket & Spaulding and that crowd. LOL

As for Badger fans liking us having Ben Johnson as coach...how many outstate 5-stars have they reeled-in recently? I'm willing to roll the dice on this style of recruiting vs theirs.
Yes, I’ve been posting here for a decade and I’ve finally busted. It was a dead give away, I am skeptical of our historically unsuccessful coach. That kind of skepticism makes it clear that I found only be a badger fan.

Yeah, they love that we have an historically bad basketball team and they doubt our signing of Evans changes that. We could maybe win what? 3-4 big ten games next season, im sure they’re really worried about the trajectory of our program .

No one outside of a few diehards on each side cares if St Thomas has a higher KenPom rating than the worst Gopher team in 30 years.
Well, it's possible if not likely that one or both major newspapers do a puff piece on UST at some point this season, and they'll probably mention that they have a comparable power rating as the Gophers.

Quite honestly, their elevation to D1 and rise to the upper division of the Summit should be a bigger local sports story than it has been. I'm serious when I say they should be a point of civic pride around here. It's a good story.

Last edited:

Yes, I’ve been posting here for a decade and I’ve finally busted. It was a dead give away, I am skeptical of our historically unsuccessful coach. That kind of skepticism makes it clear that I found only be a badger fan.

Yeah, they love that we have an historically bad basketball team and they doubt our signing of Evans changes that. We could maybe win what? 3-4 big ten games next season, im sure they’re really worried about the trajectory of our program .
You can be skeptical of Ben. But you should be fair. Watch the progress of our freshmen...not game-by-game but over the entire season. And watch our recruiting.

You say Wisconsin isn't worried about our recruiting & trajectory. Well the feeling is mutual...I'm not worried about their recruiting & trajectory.

Strangely, I think if UST rises into a legitimate D1 basketball program that can sustain success for a number of years, it can ultimately be good for the Gophers program because it should light a fire under everyone’s asses— administration, coaches, players—to change their best. Competition is good. Without it, the U has allowed itself to take its fans for granted for far too long by producing a shitty, uninteresting product year after year.

Strangely, I think if UST rises into a legitimate D1 basketball program that can sustain success for a number of years, it can ultimately be good for the Gophers program because it should light a fire under everyone’s asses— administration, coaches, players—to change their best. Competition is good. Without it, the U has allowed itself to take its fans for granted for far too long by producing a shitty, uninteresting product year after year.
Solid point, but...I've felt for some time that UW's success should be the same kind of motivational and inspirational stimulus, but it hasn't worked out that way. Maybe our university administration of questionable competence is already doing the best they can.

Didn’t bother to read other postings. But to answer the title of this thread - who cares if UST has a better ranking than the Gophers, who really cares, I don’t.

CBJ jock riders should probably start only looking at EvanMiya, that is the only site that has the teams even close. He has UST 204 and MN 200, others like Torvik UST 172 MN 219 or Haslem has UST 150 MN 258. This program is in a dark place folks.

Doesn't St. Thomas have a forum where you guys can circle jerk over their net ranking?
this isn't Net Ranking, and it is related to UofMN basketball. Like it or not, these programs will be linked going forward due to proximity and being the two D1 basketball programs in the state. Competition is good for the gophers.

What has St. Thomas done? They've beaten nobody worth a darn...yet. They moved to D1 after years of beating up on MIAC teams. The Gophers are not good this year, but that doesn't mean UST is in the same weight class. Honest question... would any St. Thomas player start for the Gophers?

If UST doesn’t have a player that would start to me it just shows the lack of direction and identity the Gophers have… UST has a better coach and an established culture if they didn’t this conversation wouldn’t be happening….

What has St. Thomas done? They've beaten nobody worth a darn...yet. They moved to D1 after years of beating up on MIAC teams. The Gophers are not good this year, but that doesn't mean UST is in the same weight class. Honest question... would any St. Thomas player start for the Gophers?

Neither have the Gophers. And they've played better than Gophers, with the evidence coming from this ranking and every other ranking in existence.

If UST doesn’t have a player that would start to me it just shows the lack of direction and identity the Gophers have… UST has a better coach and an established culture if they didn’t this conversation wouldn’t be happening….
A culture of what? Beating up on liberal arts schools and being rich enough to move up a division? They've beaten nobody. Ben Johnson's Michigan win last year was more impressive than anything UST basketball has ever done.

A culture of what? Beating up on liberal arts schools and being rich enough to move up a division? They've beaten nobody. Ben Johnson's Michigan win last year was more impressive than anything UST basketball has ever done.
I guess so. I guess the coach carried it over to D1…

I guess so. I guess the coach carried it over to D1…
I hope so. I want them to be good. But until I see that metaphorical "Michigan win," to me they're nothing more than a reason for people here to shit on CBJ when comparing them to the Gophers.

Johnny tauer would start at coach.

Kendall Blue is a superior player to IMO to Carrington. He has a mindset the gophers needed Carrington to have. Drive and attack (yet can still shoot when needed). Heck of a finisher as well.

Rhode may be able to start for these gophers.

A real question…would either teams (gophers or UST) guards start for any other team in the Big10? The answer is no. (Also most gopher players would barely see the floor on other b10 rosters)

Top Bottom