Policy Impact on Season Tickets

It is certainly possible that they could lose money on this but I doubt there would be a disaster. My rough, but reasonably accurate calculations, shows that they would break even if they lost approximately 20% of their season ticket holders. That doesn't include any additional revenue that they would receive through the sale of these tickets to others including Nebraska, Michigan, and Wisconsin fans.

Also, a conservative ballpark figure for the amount of the revenue the additional revenue the additional donations would generate, assuming the same number of seasons tickets as we have now is $3,000,000 to $3,500,000 for the first year. That would equate to approximately $10,000,000 in the third year. I know there are some here who believe or are hoping this will be a disaster but it ain't necessarily so.

I've done a rough version of the analysis myself and I agree: it's a near certainty that the University makes significantly more money with the new arrangement. However, if we get a Mariucci situation (and keep in mind the football team doesn't even sell out some pretty big games already), it will be unfortunate and cost the University a lot of interest in a program that only now is starting to develop some. We already are saddled with a gameday experience that pales in comparison to other places and this ain't gonna help. The University might not care if they are counting the money, but it bums me out to think about it. If that comes to pass my interest in the team will certainly plummet.

I've done a rough version of the analysis myself and I agree: it's a near certainty that the University makes significantly more money with the new arrangement. However, if we get a Mariucci situation (and keep in mind the football team doesn't even sell out some pretty big games already), it will be unfortunate and cost the University a lot of interest in a program that only now is starting to develop some. We already are saddled with a gameday experience that pales in comparison to other places and this ain't gonna help. The University might not care if they are counting the money, but it bums me out to think about it. If that comes to pass my interest in the team will certainly plummet.

Thanks for your comments. Personally, I wouldn't go quite as far as to say that "it's a near certainty that the University makes significantly more money with the new arrangement." But it clear that many people don't understand the risks and rewards of the new pricing program. I did enjoy your comments about the potential of unintended consequences in doing it.

Thanks for your comments. Personally, I wouldn't go quite as far as to say that "it's a near certainty that the University makes significantly more money with the new arrangement." But it clear that many people don't understand the risks and rewards of the new pricing program. I did enjoy your comments about the potential of unintended consequences in doing it.

I'd agree that in the near term the University makes more money. My concern is that after the first few years it backfires and sets the program back, as well as price me out. My personal situation is that I have a daughter graduating next year and I've agreed to take on $35,000 of approximately $50,000 in student loans. I have a pretty decent job in IT, so I feel quite confidant that I will be ok for the last ten years of my career. However, I am not to the point that I feel totally secure. Point being is that everyone's situation is different. I hope it pans out and the diehards, corporate folks, more well off people make this work to the teams benefit. I think it's a situation that no one will know until it transpires.

I will repeat a point I made earlier since it did not have much impact.

It used to be that for most Gopher games, you either had to be there in person (with cheap tickets whose location was based only on seniority) or you could listen on radio.

Today, just about every game is professionally televised, and we are so accustomed to this luxury that Aggievision is considered a woeful letdown from the standard we feel entitled to.

So, if you don't want to pay for tickets and the donation, watch on the damned TV. If the Gophers reach the level of popularity I hope they do will the vast majority of fans will follow the team that way anyway.

The U does not owe you or me cheap tickets. The game is available with a quality viewing experience on TV at a very reasonable cost.

The world changes. It is not fair. But this is still a great time to be a Gopher fan, whether you buy tickets with a hefty donation, go to an occasional game, watch at a local watering hole, or in your own home.

I will repeat a point I made earlier since it did not have much impact.

It used to be that for most Gopher games, you either had to be there in person (with cheap tickets whose location was based only on seniority) or you could listen on radio.

Today, just about every game is professionally televised, and we are so accustomed to this luxury that Aggievision is considered a woeful letdown from the standard we feel entitled to.

So, if you don't want to pay for tickets and the donation, watch on the damned TV. If the Gophers reach the level of popularity I hope they do will the vast majority of fans will follow the team that way anyway.

The U does not owe you or me cheap tickets. The game is available with a quality viewing experience on TV at a very reasonable cost.

The world changes. It is not fair. But this is still a great time to be a Gopher fan, whether you buy tickets with a hefty donation, go to an occasional game, watch at a local watering hole, or in your own home.

The U owes us fairly priced tickets.

The U owes us a winning streak against Wisconsin equal to the one Wisconsin currently has against us.

Which is assisted with the operational budget to compete financially against Wisconsin. If College Football (and broader athletics) is big business, then you need to have the same commitment to your product as your competitors.

There is a lot of risk in this for the U but obviously in order to go this route they must know they will come out ahead financially, at least in the short term. They are banking on the team continuing its upward trend in order to keep fan interest and the season ticket base high enough at the new prices.

Where this all falls apart for the U on the money front is if the product on the field plateaus or declines and you have a mass exodus of fans no longer willing to pay the steeper season ticket prices as they continue to increase. What will be disappointing is if we end up with large pockets of unsold seats in prime locations even if it means that the U is making more money overall off the smaller season ticket base.

S64EWK2x_reasonably_small.jpg

Looks like Mortell's new twitter pic would make the case that it's tied to "The Right to Bare Arms"

Which is assisted with the operational budget to compete financially against Wisconsin. If College Football (and broader athletics) is big business, then you need to have the same commitment to your product as your competitors.

Do I get a refund for my "donation" if the program declines?

Just renewed. Nothing like waiting until the last minute. I was asked if we wanted to increase the # of seats and I said to the guy that we had every intentions of doing so this season but the scholarship charge is now keeping us from doing so. Look, I get why the U is doing this but it has kept us from adding more seats and really the U from making even more money off of us.

Renewed 2 of 4 and left it to someone else whether they want to pony up for the other 2.

the stadium should be filled this season but with single ticket sales and not season ticket holders

The U owes us fairly priced tickets.

I will say my point one more time with small words. Since you can see the games on the box in your house, the cost at the games does not count as much.

the stadium should be filled this season but with single ticket sales and not season ticket holders

No.. Once you're out of the habitt of attending games week after week you'll drop off for various reasons. By the end of the season it won't look good. Next year will be worse sadly.

No.. Once you're out of the habitt of attending games week after week you'll drop off for various reasons. By the end of the season it won't look good. Next year will be worse sadly.

I'm wondering if they'll still open the concession stands.

Yes, but no registers, only calculators.

LOL. Very good response. I still don't get what they were thinking. At the first game they got my total wrong 3-times ( a different total each time) before I finally just agreed to pay $0.75 more than I should of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opener with a big time opponent... conference home games vs. Nebraska, Michigan and their new HC, Becky... they'll get people into the stadium.. a couple of years from now, with the results that will come.. that's when it may get dicey. But the SEASON TICKET figures this year will be interesting.

Top Bottom