Policy Impact on Season Tickets

Not as good as Nelson would have been had he not been provoked outside a Mankato bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should've thrown more in the non-conference season.

After they win the BTW this year this is all a moot point. We are just not used to success and all that encompasses it. Our group of eight are in for the long haul in section 112.

Who hates Iowa??

We hate Iowa!

Gopher Football, even with the increase, is still the best "Value" you will get for your money over any other Sports Entertainment option in the Twin Cities.

262 replies, 18,500 views. Either he's been clicked on this post a LOT or there apparently is a lot of interest.

Please! Of those 262 replies and thread views, I would venture 85+% of them are from the same core group of 10 or so overly pissed off (who have now moved onto simply ranting) posters who reply to this thread multiple times day after day after day after day after day. Usually telling us the same thing over and over and over again about how old "Norwood" (their way of addressing of our AD, not mine. I choose to refer to him by his title of AD) is trying to personally screw them over somehow.

So enjoy your Spring/Summer my fellow Gopher rubes. Maybe the core group of guys replying to this thread on a regular basis can keep this real blockbuster of a thread going gangbusters until September. How exciting! :rolleyes:

This thread wants to know how tight Leidner's spirals are?

So to summarize this ridiculous thread: Essentially the same people constantly rehashing and trotting out the same tired, old crap and same tired, old rants page after page after page. An echo chamber. Real ground breaking stuff to be found here. Smh. :rolleyes:

you continue to post that you don't like this thread, yet you continue to post in this thread, and thus, continue to bump this thread. Smh :rolleyes:

Admittedly I don't read every word of every topic on this subject but I do check in from time to time because I am worried about my own situation (renewing my 4 for this season but sadly considering downsizing or dropping my tickets as the donations skyrocket in the next couple seasons).

The one thing that has completely stuck out to me is the consistent drum beat from Supadupafly and the ironic way many of his posts are complaining about others posting too much on the subject. Honest question because like I said, I haven't read every post/thread: has anyone posted MORE on this topic? If not, wow what a classic example of irony and/or self absorption.

Back on subject... It does seem like a lot of hard core fans are dropping some or all of their tickets. I would think it would be even a bigger drop in tickets among non-Gopherhole types. I wonder at what point the loss in season ticket sales balances the gain in $$ from donations? I'm hoping this drastic increase is scaled back if the season ticket drop is dramatic.

The one thing that has completely stuck out to me is the consistent drum beat from Supadupafly and the ironic way many of his posts are complaining about others posting too much on the subject. Honest question because like I said, I haven't read every post/thread: has anyone posted MORE on this topic? If not, wow what a classic example of irony and/or self absorption.

You nailed it! He's definitely one of the "same 10 posters" that he himself is talking about. And he does this on many threads that he doesn't like the topic. Smh :rolleyes:

This topic is 100% relevant and I haven't seen a single function on this board that forces people to click this thread if it isn't of interest.

You nailed it! He's definitely one of the "same 10 posters" that he himself is talking about. And he does this on many threads that he doesn't like the topic. Smh :rolleyes:

This topic is 100% relevant and I haven't seen a single function on this board that forces people to click this thread if it isn't of interest.

6 replies of 280 = Just barely 2%. Yep, but I am definitely one of those same 10 posters hey bud?! Thanks for playing. Oh and carry on, luddites. Smh

6 replies of 280 = Just barely 2%. Yep, but I am definitely one of those same 10 posters hey bud?! Thanks for playing. Oh and carry on, luddites. Smh

The funny part of this is that the more you protest the worse you look. Keep going.

Back on subject... It does seem like a lot of hard core fans are dropping some or all of their tickets. I would think it would be even a bigger drop in tickets among non-Gopherhole types. I wonder at what point the loss in season ticket sales balances the gain in $$ from donations? I'm hoping this drastic increase is scaled back if the season ticket drop is dramatic.

I was thinking the same thing. Sure, we may pick up some new season ticket holders but I would be surprised if it would make up for those dropping out. My guess is that we'll see a drop in season ticket holders but not enough that we won't see an increase in ticket revenue due to the new pricing policy.

Regarding what will happen in the 2016 and 2017 seasons will depend largely on what happens on the field. As several others have already noted, hopefully we win 10 or more games and there will likely be more butts in the seats the following year no matter the price. If somehow we get cursed and win no more than six games, then we likely see a very noticeable drop in season ticket holders.

Win between seven to nine games and this is where the new pricing policy makes things interesting. My best guess is that you probably see a drop in season ticket holders at seven or even eight wins and perhaps hold steady with nine victories. If we have back to back seven to nine win seasons over the next two years, I'm guessing a noticeable drop as we hit full implementation of the increased ticket prices.

I personally believe Teague when he says the demand is there to offset any season ticket holders who bow out. I'm willing to bet he made an arrangement with Land O Lakes and other corporate sponsors to give them a block of tickets for their donations to the facilities project. The tickets will be "sold". Whether they are filled is the question, IHMO.

I personally believe Teague when he says the demand is there to offset any season ticket holders who bow out. I'm willing to bet he made an arrangement with Land O Lakes and other corporate sponsors to give them a block of tickets for their donations to the facilities project. The tickets will be "sold". Whether they are filled is the question, IHMO.

Interesting point. Teague has said that he used consultants to do a pricing comparison analysis and a demand assessment. I am also comfortable in saying that it would include a pro forma analysis for each of the many possible scenarios. They would then incorporate adjustments into the plan to minimize potential problems that could occur. We may not like what Teague is doing but he is a lot smarter than people here think he is. It may not be what DarrenTheGreek is suggesting but there is a plan for it.

Doesn't this make 7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renewed for same 3 seats. Could have saved $450 for moving across the aisle, but didn't.

Since it's all about money for the Athletic Dept, making a point about the atmosphere at a game is probably irrelevant, but if you want to see the impact of corporate tickets on gameday atmosphere look at Mariucci Arena. Lots of "sellouts" with lots of empty seats and the fan experience absolutely sucks compared to what it was 10-15 years ago.

Since it's all about money for the Athletic Dept, making a point about the atmosphere at a game is probably irrelevant, but if you want to see the impact of corporate tickets on gameday atmosphere look at Mariucci Arena. Lots of "sellouts" with lots of empty seats and the fan experience absolutely sucks compared to what it was 10-15 years ago.

I'd be curious to hear the Athletic Department's thoughts (actual, not just some press release fluff) regarding whether they consider a sold out but mostly empty stadium to be a "successful" outcome. I would assume that they believe it is, because the Mariucci situation you reference has been a big problem from a gameday environment perspective, but I really haven't felt like the U has done too much to try to change it. They seem satisfied with sold but empty seats.

Renewed for same 3 seats. Could have saved $450 for moving across the aisle, but didn't.

So are you saying during the renewal process you could have moved down? I know you can't move up but was under the impression the only way to move down was by not renewing and then starting new in June.

Oh, it was a too clever way of saying I'm in the very last seat of "chairbacks". I have no idea what the process is to "move" there. Quotes are fun, I forgot to use them in my last post.

I'd be shocked, absolutely shocked if this is the case.
This is either a calculated risk that the team will be so good ticketholders will stay or new ones will take their place OR he got really bad advice from his paid consultants.

There's simply no way they don't lose big money on this in 2016 unless the team is on the cusp of a rose bowl-esque level.

I'd be curious to hear the Athletic Department's thoughts (actual, not just some press release fluff) regarding whether they consider a sold out but mostly empty stadium to be a "successful" outcome. I would assume that they believe it is, because the Mariucci situation you reference has been a big problem from a gameday environment perspective, but I really haven't felt like the U has done too much to try to change it. They seem satisfied with sold but empty seats.

I don't think you can compare with Hockey. The same forces that make this the state of hockey (i.e. high youth participation, strong pro-fan base) work against college hockey. Too many Hockey season ticket holders also have Wild tickets that conflict games and youth hockey conflicting games. That doesn't happen in football. Also more weekday games which are harder to attend/less desireable. I would bet Fri/Sat games that the wild don't play look pretty full at Mariucci. We could go back to a 7000 seat stadium if you want to see it full that's what this state can support. If they didn't sell those to corporate season ticket holders you would just have unsold single game seats for those weekday games.

I don't think you can compare with Hockey. The same forces that make this the state of hockey (i.e. high youth participation, strong pro-fan base) work against college hockey. Too many Hockey season ticket holders also have Wild tickets that conflict games and youth hockey conflicting games. That doesn't happen in football. Also more weekday games which are harder to attend/less desireable. I would bet Fri/Sat games that the wild don't play look pretty full at Mariucci. We could go back to a 7000 seat stadium if you want to see it full that's what this state can support. If they didn't sell those to corporate season ticket holders you would just have unsold single game seats for those weekday games.

Actually, many communities have their youth football leagues play Saturday mornings from K-8th grade. (The SSYFL plays Saturday mornings. The league is made up of 8 communities.) Furthermore, some hs conferences have gone to Saturday JV games and an occasional Sat. Sophomore game.

Combine a soccer schedule (daughter) into that, and that is why we dropped our season tickets this year even though we're paying $100 less/ticket. With the 9 or 11am youth football games and out of town soccer games, it's too much money not to make all the Gopher games.

We ended up not renewing. We were in 237, a section that formerly required no donation. I had hoped to drop down to the non-donation bench seats to our right during the renewal process, but to renew in the first place required the non-refundable $150 donation. So I'd be paying $150 for the opportunity to buy cheaper seats with slightly more priority than your average joe off the street. Just couldn't justify that knowing there'd be a good chance I wouldn't get them anyway & would have to pay $330/seat vs $310 as well.

Actually, many communities have their youth football leagues play Saturday mornings from K-8th grade. (The SSYFL plays Saturday mornings. The league is made up of 8 communities.) Furhtermore, some hs conferences have gone to Saturday JV games and an occasional Sat. Sophomore game.

Combine a soccer schedule (daughter) into that, and that is why we dropped our season tickets this year. With the 9 or 11am youth football games and out of town soccer games, it's too much money not to make all the Gopher games.

I'm not disputing that, but it's still a numbers game. I get been offered Wild/Gopher Hockey tickets every year multiple times because people want to go watch their kids go play High School Hockey, or Wild and Gophers play the same night. No one has offered me gopher football tickets because they don't want to miss a 3rd grade flag football game. In your case you know you have 100% conflicts on Saturdays so tickets don't make sense for you now, better that 100% conflict for a limited number of years than the 50% conflict that never goes away with Hockey.

This is either a calculated risk that the team will be so good ticketholders will stay or new ones will take their place OR he got really bad advice from his paid consultants.

There's simply no way they don't lose big money on this in 2016 unless the team is on the cusp of a rose bowl-esque level.

Good to see you've crunched the numbers already.

We renewed our 4 seats in 117. My friend and used to split two tickets each and then would each bring another friend for free to fill up our other two seats with the hope that eventually we could get some more people to jump on the season ticket bandwagon. Unfortunately with the donation increase we had to add a third person to our group and will most likely have to sell our 4th ticket next year to another person if we can find a willing party.

I say this is unfortunate because I enjoyed bringing a family member or friend who had never experienced the college football atmosphere, and now I really won't be able to do that as often. Luckily the two other guys in my group are pretty hardcore fans so I won't have to sit next to some whiners when I get up and start screaming or dancing during the games.

It is certainly possible that they could lose money on this but I doubt there would be a disaster. My rough, but reasonably accurate calculations, shows that they would break even if they lost approximately 20% of their season ticket holders. That doesn't include any additional revenue that they would receive through the sale of these tickets to others including Nebraska, Michigan, and Wisconsin fans.

Also, a conservative ballpark figure for the amount of the revenue the additional revenue the additional donations would generate, assuming the same number of seasons tickets as we have now is $3,000,000 to $3,500,000 for the first year. That would equate to approximately $10,000,000 in the third year. I know there are some here who believe or are hoping this will be a disaster but it ain't necessarily so.

Top Bottom