Police say Alabama star Brandon Miller delivered gun to former teammate Darius Miles before shooting; Oats said Miller 'wrong spot at the wrong time'

I'm not sure how the law works but being that he was never found with the weapon on him and said he had it at one point it probably isn't a crime. Same as saying you used drugs in the past can't get you picked up for drug charges.
The gun was used as a crime against another person - fists the difference and was the point of my post zi was responding to.

In NY, you cannot own a gun unless it is licensed and registered- otherwise that is an illegal weapon. My point was is that a legally owned weapon, if not then the DA could maybe charge him with that. If the shooter testifies he was given the weapon by Miller, then that might be enough to prove ownership.

The gun was used as a crime against another person - fists the difference and was the point of my post zi was responding to.

In NY, you cannot own a gun unless it is licensed and registered- otherwise that is an illegal weapon. My point was is that a legally owned weapon, if not then the DA could maybe charge him with that. If the shooter testifies he was given the weapon by Miller, then that might be enough to prove ownership.
Details in the story make it pretty clear the gun belonged to Miles not Miller. Miles left it in Miller's car and texted Miller to bring it back to him on the day of the shooting. So Miller didn't own the gun but he brought it to Miles and that same gun was then used to murder someone.

Miller doesn't deserve to have his career ended by this but Oates calling it a "wrong place wrong time" situation and acting like Miller did nothing wrong is just complete BS. He brought a gun to someone and that directly led to the murder of someone else while Miller was still there. At minimum there should be a suspension of some kind for his actions but Oates is making it very clear that winning is the most important thing so he is going to keep putting Miller out there.

The fact that Miller knew that Miles had a gun is scary in itself. The fact that Miles asked miller to bring it to him is crazy. Wonder what was going through Millers mind when he was bringing him the gun? Im sure he was thinking nothing possibly could go wrong with me bringing a guy a gun haha

not a lawyer - but couldn't that be considered criminal facilitation? Miller transported the eventual murder weapon and delivered it to the perpetrator. one could argue that if he had refused, the crime may not have happened.

beyond that, what the bleep did Miller think was going to happen? a college "student-athlete" calls another college "student-athlete" and says "bring me my gun." Is there any alternate universe where that does not end badly?

did these people not know what happened with the New Mexico State team?

Details in the story make it pretty clear the gun belonged to Miles not Miller. Miles left it in Miller's car and texted Miller to bring it back to him on the day of the shooting. So Miller didn't own the gun but he brought it to Miles and that same gun was then used to murder someone.

Miller doesn't deserve to have his career ended by this but Oates calling it a "wrong place wrong time" situation and acting like Miller did nothing wrong is just complete BS. He brought a gun to someone and that directly led to the murder of someone else while Miller was still there. At minimum there should be a suspension of some kind for his actions but Oates is making it very clear that winning is the most important thing so he is going to keep putting Miller out there.
Thanks for clarying

So - if I sell someone a gun without proper paperwork, background check and waiting period I may be in violation of the law. But, if I just give him a gun . . .

According to the article, Miller delivered Miles' own gun to him.

But, hey, I lost track of how many times I asked my college roommate to bring me my "heat in a hat" and make sure "there is one in the head."

not a lawyer - but couldn't that be considered criminal facilitation? Miller transported the eventual murder weapon and delivered it to the perpetrator. one could argue that if he had refused, the crime may not have happened.

beyond that, what the bleep did Miller think was going to happen? a college "student-athlete" calls another college "student-athlete" and says "bring me my gun." Is there any alternate universe where that does not end badly?

did these people not know what happened with the New Mexico State team?
I would think explicit knowledge that a crime would happen if the gun was delivered would be enough, but that didn't happen. Seems Miles only said "bring me my gun loaded", but if he had said "bring my gun loaded so I can kill someone" then I am guessing Miller would be screwed. There are obvious implications to what asking for a loaded weapon means, but there is plausible deniability regarding the fact it was later used in a murder. This would be gone if Miles explicitly stated that was his goal.

Here's the video:

Go Gophers!!
Oats is totally unconvincing. Shocked we didn't get the "he's a great kid and would never do anything wrong" argument. Sounded much more like he was covering his own behind by "not being able to control what happens after practice." Yuk.

According to the article, Miller delivered Miles' own gun to him.

But, hey, I lost track of how many times I asked my college roommate to bring me my "heat in a hat" and make sure "there is one in the head."
Just a regular Tuesday night in my dorm.

The fact that Miller knew that Miles had a gun is scary in itself. The fact that Miles asked miller to bring it to him is crazy. Wonder what was going through Millers mind when he was bringing him the gun? Im sure he was thinking nothing possibly could go wrong with me bringing a guy a gun haha
At 1:30am….

This begs another question: why did Miles give Miller the gun in the first place?

Maybe I'm missing something but did Oats know that Miller supplied the gun prior to saying the "wrong place, wrong time" line? If he did, wow.

I watched some of the AL/SC game and Miller is a very talented scorer.
But, one would think that the AL administration would have been so mortified to have some of their BB players not only routinely carrying heat but involved in a murder that they would have insisted that Miller be suspended.
Win at any cost is not a good look, but then it is the SEC.

This begs another question: why did Miles give Miller the gun in the first place?

Can we conclude that Miles gave Miller the gun? My guess is that Miller just knew where Miles kept it.

Win at any cost is not a good look, but then it is the SEC.

As Charles Barkley once said: "Hey, it's the SEC! If you're not cheating, you're not trying."

You can’t rely on the coach or university to do the right thing. They have one goal in mind and that’s to win. Where is the conference or maybe even the ncaa to suspend this kid. The NCAA loves to come in and punish kids for all sorts of BS reasons. Now you have a kid that provided a gun to another kid that killed someone and not a beep to be heard from them. Can you imagine if this had happened at UAB. The program would have been shut down already.

Can we conclude that Miles gave Miller the gun? My guess is that Miller just knew where Miles kept it.
I believe it was in Millers car!!! Of course Millers attorney said that miller never saw it in his car. I believe it was left in the backseat.

You can’t rely on the coach or university to do the right thing. They have one goal in mind and that’s to win. Where is the conference or maybe even the ncaa to suspend this kid. The NCAA loves to come in and punish kids for all sorts of BS reasons. Now you have a kid that provided a gun to another kid that killed someone and not a beep to be heard from them. Can you imagine if this had happened at UAB. The program would have been shut down already.
Little things like premeditated murder don't mean much when compared the big things (like winning basketball games). It is Alabama after all.

Miles left/hid the gun in Miller's car then texted Miller to bring it back to him later on.

The beauty of this whole thing is St Thomas can’t play in the post season for like 4 years after moving to division 1. Not just team spots but an individual athlete can’t even compete. That’s their punishment for trying to improve their athletics and their university. Here you have a murderer on a team and they are going to play for a national championship. The NCAA loves to say schools have a “Lack of Institutional Control” all the time when handing out punishments. Would having a murderer on your team not be a “Lack of Institutional Control”?

Top Bottom