Point Guard

The legal issue -- which will never be addressed -- is how can a public university provide an arena, marketing, practice facilities, travel, uniforms, coaches, trainers, tutors and all the rest to professional athletes?
A public university can pay people to do these things. It might be a political issue (unpopular to some folks), but I really can't think of a legal issue associated with a public entity. In a business sense, it certainly pays for itself.

The legal issue -- which will never be addressed -- is how can a public university provide an arena, marketing, practice facilities, travel, uniforms, coaches, trainers, tutors and all the rest to professional athletes?
How can they provide XYZ, that they already provide, to students who also work for the university now (dining hall, maintenance crew, grounds crews, etc)?

That's like an athletic scholarship. No problem. But schools are not paying athletes NIL money from university funds. Private parties are paying it.
I though the subject was the university itself paying players, like student-employees that they currently already do.

NIL is another subject, of course.

I know plenty of talented young people who when applying to, for example law schools, took very much into account which school was offering them the best aid package. (In addition to the rankings/reputations of the various schools, job prospects of alumni, etc.)
I'm against paying normal students to attend college also.

I think it's absurd...but so far, I can still watch if even if certain teams pay millions for a quarterback, etc. But I will quit watching if our freshmen get bribed away. If you think that's a good thing and continue to watch under those circumstances...that's your choice.

How can they provide XYZ, that they already provide, to students who also work for the university now (dining hall, maintenance crew, grounds crews, etc)?
Universities build arenas and pay travel expenses, spend on marketing and promotion, for grounds crews and dining hall workers?

Universities build arenas and pay travel expenses, spend on marketing and promotion, for grounds crews and dining hall workers?
They do it for their musical centers.

Universities have a ton of things that they spend money on the grounds, workers, and promotions. Many of the things are siloed and have their own budgets but they started with public money. NCAA football could easily do that.

Top Bottom