Playing for Pitino

Miles Tarver

Reaction score
How do you think the players like playing for him? It seems like the team has responded well so far this year to the system and such...

On the other hand, is it me or does it look like Pitino is a huge a$$hole to his players in-game?

Obviously things are going well so far as I believe they are over-achieving at this point, but just wanted everyone's opinion!

It's just you. The players are as loose as I've seen them in years.

Agreed. Not a lot of talent on the roster, but they know what they're doing and have had success. I don't see him being any more of a butt than any other coach and maybe less. His benchings have actually lead to changed behavior (see Mo last night) unlike the previous adminsistration, where habits never changed with yelling or benchings.

How do you think the players like playing for him? It seems like the team has responded well so far this year to the system and such...

On the other hand, is it me or does it look like Pitino is a huge a$$hole to his players in-game?

Obviously things are going well so far as I believe they are over-achieving at this point, but just wanted everyone's opinion!

If we go back to all the in-game posts from the begining of the season, we do find out that most wins were ugly but happy to have them. This means that players don't respond. It is just that the other team is weaker. If players are responding, why would Rick be so worried about MN basketball with his tweets?

Watching the way Pitino talks to his players and times his substitutions, I feel like he has found a good balance. Players know if they do something stupid, they well get chewed out and get a seat on the bench. However, they also know they will get a chance to hit the court again and redeem themselves. Looks like they've responded well.

If by a$$hole, he means, engaged in the game. Then yes, he's a huge a$$hole.

If by a$$hole he means pulling a player when he screws up/does something stupid, then yes he's been an a$$hole at times.

If we go back to all the in-game posts from the begining of the season, we do find out that most wins were ugly but happy to have them. This means that players don't respond. It is just that the other team is weaker. If players are responding, why would Rick be so worried about MN basketball with his tweets?

Uhhh, what? I think something was lost in translation .....

Uhhh, what? I think something was lost in translation .....

Criticism is better received when it is accompanied by appropriate praise and when people see passion and purpose. I think the players are getting praised, it appears there is a building relationship and the passion is obvious.

Watching the way Pitino talks to his players and times his substitutions, I feel like he has found a good balance. Players know if they do something stupid, they well get chewed out and get a seat on the bench. However, they also know they will get a chance to hit the court again and redeem themselves. Looks like they've responded well.

I'll agree with this. You can definitely tell when he's upset with someone. It would be interesting to know the dynamics of each player, and how they respond to criticism. It seems the team is taking it well so far even with Pitino's outbursts during games.

If by a$$hole, he means, engaged in the game. Then yes, he's a huge a$$hole.

Pete Carroll is engaged all game in the NFL and is always upbeat and positive in-game. You don't have to be an asshole to be engaged.

Yelling and chewing players out doesn't automatically make a coach sh!tty to play for. I had two coaches in high school who were intense and would regularly chew us out. One of them never really connected with the players, so most of the team didn't respond well to the screaming and hated playing for him. The other coach yelled just as much, but was a cool guy when he wasn't screaming and connected well with all of the players. Because of that, we responded well when he yelled and it just motivated us more. We loved playing for him.

Based on my experience and given how well players respond to Pitino's yelling and the confidence that players play with, I'm going to go ahead and assume the players respect him and like playing for him.

From what I can tell, he's rather mild mannered compared to a lot of top coaches. These are college kids we're talking about. Most of them need a kick in the ass from time to time.

From what I can tell, he's rather mild mannered compared to a lot of top coaches. These are college kids we're talking about. Most of them need a kick in the ass from time to time.

I mean come on. Tubby is 108 and he still needs a kick in the ass from time to time!

Sorry to bring Tubby up again. My bad.

Miles, if ya can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!!!

King probably got yelled at the most too....

What game was it at the Barn when he turned the ball over and he went and sat down on the bench without the substitution even being made? Coach P just looked at him and he knew he was out. I remember laughing for a good couple of minutes.

What game was it at the Barn when he turned the ball over and he went and sat down on the bench without the substitution even being made? Coach P just looked at him and he knew he was out. I remember laughing for a good couple of minutes.

Ohio State For a minute there it looked like we challenged them 4 on 5. Joey hopped back on the floor so the substitution could be made. Was pretty funny.

apparently you have never coached before lol. It's ok though. Welcome to the discussion!

I don't think you know very much about basketball or playing team sports and I am 100% certain you don't know **** about coaching anything above third graders.

I don't think you know very much about basketball or playing team sports and I am 100% certain you don't know **** about coaching anything above third graders.

lol, thanks for the laughs, and the excellent contribution to the thread!

edit: I suggest you read up on different coaching styles. Believe it or not they exist! My 3rd grade coaching level has taught me that! Maybe someday you'll get to that level.

Top Bottom