Pitino Meltdown

I didn't even notice it, but... food for thought: at FIU (who went 18-14!), Pitino never lost more than 2 games in a row.

Well now, looks like Pitino is in new previously unexplored territory. As Izzo once said, "Good players play games, tough players win games."

Perhaps, but don't chew him out in front of your players, or on national TV. Better yet, blame Maturi for it. He may make mistakes, but Richard doesn't!

I'm on board with that! That's a tough one though, I'll need a minute....

Perhaps, but don't chew him out in front of your players, or on national TV. Better yet, blame Maturi for it.

Pitino pretends that he's OK without the practice facility. "Focus on what we have, not what we don't." But really it enrages him that we don't have it yet. They'd have had more time to practice against the 1-3-1, which Ben was responsible for, but couldn't. This frustration finally boiled over. Thanks Joel.

How was that?

Think it would be interesting to know. Is that ok?

Fine by me... It's a curious situation to be interested in. Coaches yell, a lot, often for no reason, often for a reason unknown by anyone. For me though, probably the last thing I would worry about.

How frustrated would you be?

watching your team piss away a victory? He let off steam on Ben Johnson, who I am guessing understands and can handle it. Would you rather he screamed at his players like he did last year? I'd say he's improving. He is a very good coach. We lost a game with really stupid play by multiple guys you count on. He made adjustments and every time he did the next guy screwed up. He wasn't mad at Ben Johnson...he took out his frustrations on Ben Johnson.

We need better players. It's going to take time. Mason and Morris are better than we have for what we want to do.
Next year's group will help a lot. You can only do so much for so long with smoke and mirrors.

Fine by me... It's a curious situation to be interested in. Coaches yell, a lot, often for no reason, often for a reason unknown by anyone. For me though, probably the last thing I would worry about.

You could have said nothing (because he was right) but instead you responded with a dismissive, patronizing, falsely polite, and smug answer as usual. Sometimes less is more.

I do understand your point. Coaches do yell and it isn't uncommon at all. I'm not at all bothered that he did yell, more nosy as to what he yelled.

At least Pitino was angry about losing! It didn't seem like anyone else was. He could have handled it better of course, but this is big time college basketball, not a sewing circle. Guys get fired up sometimes. Not that big a deal.

This is ridiculous. A head coach got in the face of an assistant coach? Big deal. Someone even called it an "embarrassment" in this thread? The only embarrassment is the Gophers 0-4 conference record. Let Pitino coach his team and run his bench as he sees fit. Either this is an age or experience thing (ex it's ok for Bob Huggins or Coach K) or people wanting to complain about something other than the record.

My guess is that you do not work in an HR position.

Yeah, because most HR positions within corporations are the exact same situation as college basketball. Yup. Makes sense.

This is ridiculous. A head coach got in the face of an assistant coach? Big deal. Someone even called it an "embarrassment" in this thread? The only embarrassment is the Gophers 0-4 conference record. Let Pitino coach his team and run his bench as he sees fit. Either this is an age or experience thing (ex it's ok for Bob Huggins or Coach K) or people wanting to complain about something other than the record.

Yeah I don't consider this a big deal at all.

Yeah, because most HR positions within corporations are the exact same situation as college basketball. Yup. Makes sense.

Well, what do you know? Another Gopher Hole poster resorts to witless and pedestrian sarcasm to cover his lack of ability to articulate.

I never said they were the same, but they're not as different as you might think. The great Bobby Knight was fired for getting in some student's face.

You could have said nothing (because he was right) but instead you responded with a dismissive, patronizing, falsely polite, and smug answer as usual. Sometimes less is more.

Odd interpretation of my post. Especially considering your posts further on in this thread.

Well, what do you know? Another Gopher Hole poster resorts to witless and pedestrian sarcasm to cover his lack of ability to articulate.

I never said they were the same, but they're not as different as you might think. The great Bobby Knight was fired for getting in some student's face.

The "great bob knight" got put on a zero tolerance policy, which he later violated and was fired, for manhandling and choking players. Not quite the same thing as just getting in someone's face...

The "great bob knight" got put on a zero tolerance policy, which he later violated and was fired, for manhandling and choking players. Not quite the same thing as just getting in someone's face...

Of course it's not the same thing, but these things add up, so cut the pattern right here. Easy to do. Make conversations that can get heated private and away from cameras. That also gives you a chance to cool down. People will use anything against you if they want to get rid of you. Pitino isn't at that place yet but he could be someday.

Of course it's not the same thing, but these things add up, so cut the pattern right here. Easy to do. Make conversations that can get heated private and away from cameras. That also gives you a chance to cool down. People will use anything against you if they want to get rid of you. Pitino isn't at that place yet but he could be someday.

Honestly, very few people outside of you are making a big deal out of this. Maybe a couple of handfuls of people care. Richard is learning how to coach at this level just as his players are learning to play. I'm sure his dad will correct him if it's something that needs to be corrected.

As for now Richard is still doing better than Monson or Tubby based on winning percentage... though his BIG winning percentage is lower based on the recent stretch. Just to put things in perspective.

The great Woody Hayes was fired for getting in someone's way. :cool02:

Does Izzo ever get mad - usually at least twice a game!!!

Top Bottom