Pitino era is over, start the search now.

The general feeling I get regarding the lack of success at MN is the poor coach hiring decisions, historically. The last piece is now in place, with the practice facilities. Historically, MN has had all kinds of trouble getting the top candidates to say "yes". Correct?
Agreed that with a competent AD, better facilities, and a more supportive Admin; we are in a better spot to get a good coach.

Big 10 university, major metro area, lots of resources, great AD (according to a lot of folks). Trying to find reasons this is not a great job. A job that a successful coach would want to be at long term, not sniffing out the next one.

I'm not saying I'd want to just go find guys that want to leave the U. I'm saying that if we hire good coaches and they take jobs perceived as better, it's something I'm willing to deal with. Of course I'd rather have the guy be here for 20 years like Izzo or Jay Wright, but that's hard to find. I do know I'd love to be good enough where someone wanted our coach.

Sure that's fine for a goal, but it many times does not work that way. My point is that if we'd lost a coach 3 times this century to better jobs, I'd be a pretty happy fan cause we'd been quite successful.

Speaking of Xavier coaches, I wonder if Thad is ready to come back. He'd be worth a look.
Incredible coach. Not healthy

Sam Merrill would be our best player? Better than Oturu? Carr? hmmm You have to think about the competition he faces game after game.
As far as making winning plays that Merrill is very good. Oturu and Carr more talented no doubt but Merrill makes some big-time shots. Mountain West obviously isn't the Big 10 but it's not bad. I'd probably take him over Carr as far as who helps your team win more.

I like Smith from what I've seen. I'd like to see them win a game or two (stretch) in the tournament and then have him join us in MN.

As far as making winning plays that Merrill is very good. Oturu and Carr more talented no doubt but Merrill makes some big-time shots. Mountain West obviously isn't the Big 10 but it's not bad. I'd probably take him over Carr as far as who helps your team win more.

I like Smith from what I've seen. I'd like to see them win a game or two (stretch) in the tournament and then have him join us in MN.
Merrill is an assassin. I don't think he's the star of a high-major successful team, but he's a difference maker on a team like that.

Merrill is an assassin. I don't think he's the star of a high-major successful team, but he's a difference maker on a team like that.

Merrill has some Luka in his game. Does not blow you away with athleticism, but he can consistently create and make his own shot. Oturu is better, but I'd take him over Carr right now.

Disappointed? Sure. Hurt? No. He already gave me the best Gopher football season of my lifetime.
OK, so you appear concerned with very short term success. If pj left and the successor failed, you would be all over it.

How many successful coaches leave a B1G job, or any big conference job for another one? The only one I can think of is Bill $elf leaving Illinois for Kansas, and he's dirty anyways. That was after Roy Williams left Kansas of all places for UNC. So even Kansas wasn't immune to that.

This happens so rarely yet Minnesotan's get worked up about it in every coaching search. It should be the least of anyone's concerns. And if a coach did leave, it would mean the Gophers had more success on the court than I've seen in my lifetime.
This. If a coach gets MN rolling and has inroads with local recruits, there's zero reason to ever leave for any job that's not Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA or Kansas.

OK, so you appear concerned with very short term success. If pj left and the successor failed, you would be all over it.
Better to just have kept Claeys, right?

Sheesh. You're clueless.

This. If a coach gets MN rolling and has inroads with local recruits, there's zero reason to ever leave for any job that's not Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA or Kansas.

Or Louisville, Arizona, Michigan State, and some other blue bloods. It's really not for us to say and it's not always a knock on the U as well. For some they don't want a large metro for their family. Some don't want to compete with a football program. Some want a warmer climate.

Didn't say that.

Now, why don't you provide your list. Or perhaps you cant?
It's not my job to find a better coach, not that it will be difficult to improve on Pitino's record.

But for the record, in the "names " thread, I advocated for Chris Jans. Lots of baggage, but probably the best pure coach out there who is 100 percent available and inexpensive.

Beyond that, dunno. Would love Musselman, wish Coyle had grabbed him last year, but that ship sailed. I guess if Jans is too toxic, Scott Nagy. At least he can coach.

It's not my job to find a better coach, not that it will be difficult to improve on Pitino's record.

But for the record, in the "names " thread, I advocated for Chris Jans. Lots of baggage, but probably the best pure coach out there who is 100 percent available and inexpensive.

Beyond that, dunno. Would love Musselman, wish Coyle had grabbed him last year, but that ship sailed. I guess if Jans is too toxic, Scott Nagy. At least he can coach.
If you knew you could get Musselman a year from now would you wait?

What’s your data or reasoning for Jans being the best “pure coach” available? Plenty of others that have more history of being better without the baggage

What’s your data or reasoning for Jans being the best “pure coach” available? Plenty of others that have more history of being better without the baggage
Jans has absolutely dominated that conference in his time at New Mexico St. That conference might just be that bad and his past is not good as a human being. But I don't know. I don't want him just for his past. I'd hate to say I'd change my mind if they started winning here with him but that's tough. 44-3 in conference during his 3 years. Just beat the 2nd place team by 33 the other night. That team is something called California Baptist.

Name plenty with a history of being better.

He wins. Big. Everywhere he goes. Everywhere.

His teams routinely out-execute their opponents. Good defensively. Smart. Tough.

It'd be a tough sell. Probably too tough. But he'd win here.

His teams routinely out-execute their opponents. Good defensively. Smart. Tough.

He will be way too toxic to bring here.

What makes him better than Craig Smith, Scott Nagy, or Steve Forbes?

Anthony Grant will get a ton of looks from power 6 schools.

Anthony Grant will get a ton of looks from power 6 schools.
Was just going to bring up that name. Strikes me as a guy Coyle would like. (A PJ-type hire.) Certainly others would have interest as well and don't know what his contract looks like, so I have no idea how realistic it is. But I'd be all in on him.

I'm surprised we haven't had any leaks yet about which way Coyle is going, bring him back or not. Obviously he's waiting until after season but usually you get a good feel either way before that actually happens.

I'm surprised we haven't had any leaks yet about which way Coyle is going, bring him back or not. Obviously he's waiting until after season but usually you get a good feel either way before that actually happens.
He is busy working. Plus this season is not over.

Top Bottom