Pitino coming back

I fully said that in all my posts. No reason for you to get so defensive.

Also very odd coming from you as one of the biggest CS advocates.

I would have loved for them to move on from Pitino and hire Smith.

But I'm also a realist and understand why they are not with how everything has unfolded over the last four days.

Pitino is staying and I'll bet Smith stays another year at Utah St. We don't know what this roster will look like next season, so all we really have to do is hope for the best.

I fully said that in all my posts. No reason for you to get so defensive.

Also very odd coming from you as one of the biggest CS advocates.

You need to read your post #192 (and a couple subsequent posts) again. I don't think you had any ambiguity in Coyle or Smith's intentions.

Makes perfect sense.

He wasn't able to hire Fleck. We had to stick with Claeys, because there just wasn't anyone better worth hiring that would want to come way up here to the frozen tundra.

(y)
NO WAY

WriterGoph agrees, but just can't post it.

Hmm. I start every season with the same optimism. It's nice. That's really what makes sports great. Hard to imagine being so dreadful. I imagine if a guy is like that its a sign of an overall miserable life in progress.

I do. Hopefully most of them will be resolved in November. I also can't wait for CNN to become our sole news provider in this country. That will be perfect.
Oh yes, the genius Quid Pro Joe. Can’t wait.

Don’t we all? Our football glasses just showed us an 11-2 season and top 10 finish. In year 3. When does Ricky have to finish in the top 25 for the faithful?
Well, it's always good to have a backup pair of glasses.

I would have loved for them to move on from Pitino and hire Smith.

But I'm also a realist and understand why they are not with how everything has unfolded over the last four days.

Pitino is staying and I'll bet Smith stays another year at Utah St. We don't know what this roster will look like next season, so all we really have to do is hope for the best.
You make a point here. It could be Smith and both Smith and Coyle believe that risking losing the incoming guys and making a big change right now is too risky. This way we have two top 100 type recruits coming in for sure and a chance to hold things together in a strange off season. Considering all of that, giving Pitino a shot to make it work with these guys might be smart. Notice also that Oturu has not made an immediate announcement, not that we should be hopeful....but he hasn't.

Bingo. Coyle didn't make a move largely because revenue will be lost due to economic uncertainty across the country and he didn't have support from the Board of Regents to buy 2 contracts out, and pay a new coach.
You mean those reagents that fly those black helicopters?

I like Coach Pitino...great guy and a quality human being. However, there isn't a business owner on the planet that would accept his success rate. He has an Overall Winning percentage of 54.0% (includes all the cupcake NC opponents) and a putrid 36.9% in Big 10 play. Make any argument or excuse that you want because you like Coach Pitino personally but that simply is not acceptable for a coach in a P5 program. The decision to retain Coach Pitino was a poor one from this fan's perspective but I'll always support the squad regardless of who the Coach is. Everyone stay safe and healthy...Go Gophers!
While we will never know perhaps we could not get anyone better Interested in coming to Minnesota. Do I remember right? Wasn't that how we came to take a chance on Pitino.

He would've come running because it's his home. He's not a rock star, but neither was Fleck.

You guys keep straining to make this way harder than it was. I'll do me.

Fleck absolutely was a rock star coaching prospect when Coyle hired him.

Not sure there's a comparable coach out there right now on the basketball side. I would have been fine with bringing Smith on board, but his resume's not comparable to Fleck's.

The conference record is not the point. We beat an elite program in the tournament - handily. Posters do NOT get to call us out for losing to MTSU, but conveniently overlook beating Louisville. Sorry.
Actually posters get to look at it however they want. You do it, you cherry pick Louisville who was a 6th place team in the ACC. You overlook that putrid conference record.

I would guess that he had a short list of guys that would have made him make the move. I would guess that he put out feelers and did not get positive feedback from the guys he really wants. Smith may be a great potential coach but he may not have been enough to convince Coyle.
Either that or he has a guy that he wants that would come, but not now as the timing is not right. I think he thinks enough of Pitino that he wasn't willing to settle for less than a home run guy.
I agree and I'm good with it. If Coyle doesn't have the guy he wants, I'm fine with it. I'll wait another year for the home run.

Not sure there's a comparable coach out there right now on the basketball side. I would have been fine with bringing Smith on board, but his resume's not comparable to Fleck's.
I'm right with you there. PJ was the best possible hire. I really don't see anybody comparable in college basketball at this point. That's why I don't think waiting another year is the worst thing. Coyle can keep updating the list, making contacts, and we'll see what happens.

I think Pitino's expectations next year will be really high. I don't know if just making the tournament will be enough to save his job, though it depends on how they play and how guys develop. But if Coyle finds that home run for next year he's gonna have a hard time not pulling the trigger.

Actually posters get to look at it however they want. You do it, you cherry pick Louisville who was a 6th place team in the ACC. You overlook that putrid conference record.

Nobody cares what place teams finish in their conference (outside of 1st). They care about winning tournament games. I dont look back and say "Oh, remember the Gophers finished in 6th place (just a guess) in 1989." I say "Remember when we made it to the Sweet 16."

While we will never know perhaps we could not get anyone better Interested in coming to Minnesota. Do I remember right? Wasn't that how we came to take a chance on Pitino.
Remember Teague was a moron did not know how to hire. Coyle does but with so many factors regarding who he would get, how much it cost and that money owed on the facilities. The logistics right now with uncertainty. He laid down the law now, win big or else. It could have happened if donors would have paid off the facilities and the coach buyouts, then there would been a much longer conversation.

Nobody cares what place teams finish in their conference (outside of 1st). They care about winning tournament games. I dont look back and say "Oh, remember the Gophers finished in 6th place (just a guess) in 1989." I say "Remember when we made it to the Sweet 16."
I care, but your right about 6th ! I care about finishing ahead of UW and pretty sure others do. If your top 3-4 every year you will get your advances in the tourney. The tourney is fickle on a one and done but you gave to get there. Fans that go to Big 10 games care if they win those games. Coyle cares, the stands would be full if we were 2nd every year, that would mean we were a top 10 team. Donors care, alumni care. Recruits care if a program is top 3 every year versus not being top 3 even once.

Notice also that Oturu has not made an immediate announcement, not that we should be hopeful....but he hasn't.
Such a GH thing to say. Posters will be almost convincing themselves that he could come back next year.

Then suddenly there will be a thread that he announced he’s leaving, and it will have 25 pages of posts.

Coyle should've fired Pitino last season when the coaching carousel was more robust. There were a lot of good coaches out there ready to be hired, like Hoiberg, Musselman, etc.

I think you’re overhyping Fleck, especially compared to what would’ve been a solid upgrade over what we have in the b-ball side.

If Fleck was such a rock star as you claim, why didn’t Alabama, Texas, Ohio Stage etc hire him?? You’re saying Minnesota had the better offer?

Coyle should've fired Pitino last season when the coaching carousel was more robust. There were a lot of good coaches out there ready to be hired, like Hoiberg, Musselman, etc.
Nate Oats

That’s only because 6th is unremarkable and a sweet sixteen is very remarkable.

If we finished first and then went out in the round of 32, you wouldn’t.

Next year will be what it is but this move to keep RP just has me so terrified for the future. Fans attendance is way down, we've been middle to bottom of the pack, our coaches job seat is on fire and we have maybe the most important recruiting class (2021) coming up with all these issues. Just feels like the odds we are top 1/3 of the league, attendance soars and we nab 2-3 of the studs are next to nothing. None of us want the worst but I just have a dark feeling next year gets away from RP and we end up in a 3-4 year hole if even worse performances than the last 7 years. Even the diehard RP fans have to admit that is FAR more likely than a 12-6 conf record, soaring attendance and a sudden surge of elite talent joining the program.

LOL. "They care about winning tournament games."

Pitino has won 1 NCAA game in 7 years.

And for the record, LOTS of Gopher fans care about the conference record.

Congrats, BTW, on the single most nonsensical post in recent GH history.

Last edited:

Remember Teague was a moron did not know how to hire. Coyle does but with so many factors regarding who he would get, how much it cost and that money owed on the facilities. The logistics right now with uncertainty. He laid down the law now, win big or else. It could have happened if donors would have paid off the facilities and the coach buyouts, then there would been a much longer conversation.
BADGER excuses for why a move wasn’t made.

Do you remember when Pitino made the Sweet Sixteen?

Im sure when fans look back at Pitino's tenure here....They will ignore the B10 record and say "How wonderful it was to have 1 tournament win in 8 years."

Top Bottom