Pitino coming back

What you guys don't realize is that Pitino has been sandbagging. Freeman is the real talent between him and big Dan!

Saw several things i liked but i can guarantee that when your 10th in defense you will not contend at the top of a conference.

I agree, but since he's coming back I'm hoping defense continues to show improvement and ball movement.

I do think he has the best staff he's ever had and I'm expecting dividends

It's not black and white. People are allowed to have a variety of opinions.

I am a Gopher fan. I want the Gophers to win, whether the Coach is Rich Pitino or Fred Farkle.

If the Gophers won a B1G title under Pitino, I would be very happy.

But - I just don't expect that to happen. After 7 years of Pitino, I still see a team that has no consistent identity, always lacks depth, and has trouble executing in late-game situations. And the recruiting has been very hit-and-miss.

So - I can root for the Gophers to win under Pitino - and at the same time, I can hold the belief that the Gophers would be better off with a different coach. That is not a contradiction.

I also understand that changing coaches is no guarantee. the next guy could come in here and have a worse record than Pitino. And attendance could get even worse. But part of being a fan is having hope in defiance of logic. And a new coach would at least give fans some hope - and maybe even sell a couple of tickets.
SO WELL SAID! THANK YOU!

I agree, but since he's coming back I'm hoping defense continues to show improvement and ball movement.

I do think he has the best staff he's ever had and I'm expecting dividends
Me too. I like both you guys takes. My naked eye saw good improvement this year.

So the MN job isn't enough, even with new practice facility, etc, to attract top coaches? Is that still the one thing holding MN back from getting the top coaches?

So Craig Smith, etc aren't quality options now?

Wow, this soap opera is fun to watch.
Please list the names of major conference coaches who have been fired after this season. There are usually at least a few so this should be easy.

There are a lot of recruiting consequences to Pitino coming back that haven't been discussed yet. For example absolutely forget about Chet Holmgren becoming a Gopher (of course the low expectations crowd has already done that) and we will be another year in to the new normal of the top Minnesota kids going elsewhere. If any of the 2022 class is interested in committing early, we can forget about them too. If Izzo wants Holloman, he's going to be there when Trejuan gets to college while Pitino will probably be gone before he starts his senior year of high school. The 2021 class will be greatly affected by Pitino being on the hot seat. Nothing Pitino could possibly do by the November signing date will make it any more likely that he's around to coach the prospects who agree to sign at that time. The new facilities also get a year older without attracting any top recruits.

Marcus Carr will be in prime position to grad transfer after next year if he so chooses, leaving the new coach without the player currently on the roster most likely to help him get off to a decent start on the floor.

I don't blame Coyle for not making a change in the current environment, but his inability to see this season coming last Spring and act accordingly is disappointing. This offseason is eerily reminiscent of the time before Monson's last year where it was painfully obvious he was not going to remain the coach but we were going to have to endure a lame-duck season.

Meanwhile, Haskins took over a train wreck and won 5 NCAA tournament games in his first four years. That's what success looks like.

comparing a cheating coach to one that doesn't cheat...Hmmmm.

Fact: Haskin won some tourney games but he also set this program back 20 years when he cheated

There are a lot of recruiting consequences to Pitino coming back that haven't been discussed yet. For example absolutely forget about Chet Holmgren becoming a Gopher (of course the low expectations crowd has already done that) and we will be another year in to the new normal of the top Minnesota kids going elsewhere. If any of the 2022 class is interested in committing early, we can forget about them too. If Izzo wants Holloman, he's going to be there when Trejuan gets to college while Pitino will probably be gone before he starts his senior year of high school. The 2021 class will be greatly affected by Pitino being on the hot seat. Nothing Pitino could possibly do by the November signing date will make it any more likely that he's around to coach the prospects who agree to sign at that time. The new facilities also get a year older without attracting any top recruits.

Marcus Carr will be in prime position to grad transfer after next year if he so chooses, leaving the new coach without the player currently on the roster most likely to help him get off to a decent start on the floor.

I don't blame Coyle for not making a change in the current environment, but his inability to see this season coming last Spring and act accordingly is disappointing. This offseason is eerily reminiscent of the time before Monson's last year where it was painfully obvious he was not going to remain the coach but we were going to have to endure a lame-duck season.
What if he is far along with recruits that want to play here ?

Fact: Haskin won some tourney games but he also set this program back 20 years when he cheated

Set the program back 20 years? That's a little drastic. The sad truth is that we are about the same then as we are now. Monson had a higher Big 10 winning % than Pitino following the Clem debacle.

Set the program back 20 years? That's a little drastic. The sad truth is that we are about the same then as we are now. Monson had a higher Big 10 winning % than Pitino following the Clem debacle.
Two decades and still not recovered. You can debate the reasons, however the reality is the program has not been even mediocre since Haskins left.

Maybe you should thank Coyle for sticking with Pitino? He knows far more about the situation than you do.

And as we have mentioned and noted, Pitino will get good recruits that want to play for the U. The current state of the attitude in the AAU programs is toxic. It does exactly what it was designed to do, feed the best players in the country to a few selected schools. More winning at the U would help, but as long as the players keep getting fed the BS that the U is not worthy of their talent, it will Not improve.

Also, have you guys forgotten everything about college basketball? It typically takes a year or two for HS players to grow into the college game. All of the young players at the U were highly regarded, high character, versatile, talented, defensive minded players in HS. Most of them will develop into solid B1G players. The future is bright as the team settles into its new aggressive defense and fast paced offense.

There were no violations in those first four years, which is why I limited the comparison to that. I figured someone would use the subsequent cheating as a crutch, but it makes no logical sense in the context of what I posted.

How is this not true of every coach, every year, though? How can you fire any coach, then?
It is different for a program that would be in complete start over mode and who may in fact be further down the road with recruits than others. They have more information than we do.

There were no violations in those first four years, which is why I limited the comparison to that. I figured someone would use the subsequent cheating as a crutch, but it makes no logical sense in the context of what I posted.

3 things.
1. do you really believe he only cheated the one year? he cheated all his years
2. Wins and loses are quite relevant to cheating and you cannot argue that
3. do wins over shadow the cheating? no way....winning while cheating is worse than losing

Well, one thing we know for certain is, nobody--NObody--considers Pitino a "heck of a good coach."

So I'm not too worried.
Well I guess Jamal Mashburn Jr. does.
“I’m excited. I had no question that they wouldn’t bring him back. He’s a great coach, a young coach and he has a young team. I’m excited, because he’s the person I built a connection with at an early age in my recruiting process. He’s a big part of why I’m going there. I wouldn’t want any other coaching staff to be there. I’m really happy that he’s going to be back next year.”

3 things.
3. do wins over shadow the cheating? no way....winning while cheating is worse than losing
I believe the outcome of the investigation, so yes, I guess. Based on all available evidence, those first years were clean. It would be much more reasonable to suspect ANY other program that WASN'T the subject of an investigation.

3 things.
personally, I dont give a **** about the cheating. I got to watch a final four run, and it's not like others aren't cheating, even now. I wish Clem had had a better plan to cover it up.

Heck, I wish Pitino would cheat, if it'd help him win some GD basketball games.

personally, I dont give a **** about the cheating. I got to watch a final four run, and it's not like others aren't cheating, even now. I wish Clem had had a better plan to cover it up.

I care. Pitino is not going to cheat. The best thing he has done by far is play it clean. Cheating to win is losing.

wow

So you supported players not going to classes and others doing the work for them? Meaning the kids didn't learn anything. Is that right?

3 things.
No one said they only cheated one year. That's why the records are messed up from 92 or 93 on, whatever it was. It was shown that he did decide to start cheating because of the obstacles and unfairness Clem perceived. It's not a stretch at all to look at those first four years as clean.

So you supported players not going to classes and others doing the work for them? Meaning the kids didn't learn anything. Is that right?
USAF is concerned with only winning, if you think anything else is important you are an apathetic idiot who is responsible for the downfall of our program ;)

Now we all know what your priorities are...

Maybe you should find some WWE entertainer or G-league team to follow? You are not the type of “Fan” that the U is trying to satisfy.

Now we all know what your priorities are...

Maybe you should find some WWE entertainer or G-league team to follow? You are not the type of “Fan” that the U is trying to satisfy.
People in charge from the top down are smart. They have seen others win at the highest levels squeky clean. It can be done and it is the only way that counts to me. With all the golf tournaments i have played in i despise the cheaters. I have never been bothered by losing fair and square, hats off but to a cheater... he knows he is a miserable human.

Each and every one of those "kids" made a conscious choice to not take advantage of a free undergrad degree. They hurt nobody but themselves. I'm supposed to care about that why, exactly?

Each and every one of those "kids" made a conscious choice to not take advantage of a free undergrad degree. They hurt nobody but themselves. I'm supposed to care about that why, exactly?
Your not supposed to care, you already shared that you do not. I believe programs and coaches should follow rules. Not for everyone i guess but there are coaches that recruit true student athletes. They actually pursue kids near the top of their class that want to get into a serious university. It must be hell to recruit kids that do not even care about school and then to try and keep track of them. So much easier when they want to be in class and it is required, to actually coach self motivated and smart mature players is something fans love to support, especially when they win. We have guys like that on our team, as for the winning, oh well.

Top Bottom