Pitino coming back

Great move! Putting off needed surgery in the hopes your illness resolves itself always works well!!

Pitino has improved since Coyle took over on and off the court. Coyle likes his coach and they seem to have mutual respect. Coyle's statement confirms that he needs to continue to improve.

Since Coyle took over, Win Pct. .571 and .421 in conference, two NCAA tournaments and better grades
Before Coyle, Win Pct. .500 and .296 in conference and an empty rental gas tank.

Schedules seem tougher as well.

Coyle would get destroyed by the National Media had he fired Pitino after the last two seasons. That wouldn't look good to coaching prospects.

Wonder what Coyle's expectation is for number of tournament wins over the course of 8 years? How about cumulative B1G percentage?

Coyle would get destroyed by the National Media had he fired Pitino after the last two seasons. That wouldn't look good to coaching prospects.
LOL.

Nobody would even notice. That's part of the problem, by the way.

15-16 is good?
Not at face value, but if you know the circumstances of that record it isn't as bad as some think. I also said the last two years. He achieved nearly the same thing the last two years. Competitive bubble team.

Welp...I was sure hoping for a change in course, but given current circumstances and just how discombobulated everything is at the moment, I can understand how holding tight just might be the most sensible course of action right now. So, here's to hope I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LOL.

Nobody would even notice. That's part of the problem, by the way.
Really? Wow MN has fired their last two coaches who had been to the round of 32 in the last two years.

They were ranked in the 200s in FG percentage and free throws

They shot 1% higher on FG last season but lower on 3 point %, mainly because of Murphy. They shot 1% better on FT this season and averaged pretty much the same PPG.

They lost all of that production from Murphy and Coffey that 'we couldn't replace', yet the offensive numbers were very similar this season.

They shot 1% higher on FG last season but lower on 3 point %, mainly because of Murphy. They shot 1% better on FT this season and averaged pretty much the same PPG.

They lost all of that production from Murphy and Coffey that 'we couldn't replace', yet the offensive numbers were very similar this season.
I agree, last year and this year are pretty much the same season. Depth on the roster will be the difference going forward. Can't have transfers and guys go to the NBA every year going forward.

Best we can hope for, obviously.
How bout winning a B10 championship every once in awhile or at least finishing second...It seems Wisconsin doesn't have a problem doing that....Pitino has proven that he cannot raise the program to a championship level (apparently like Coyle wants) and that will be the case next year....Extend him or fire him, sitting on the fence never works.

don't waste your time watching and posting then.... just saying
People won't watch or post or attend. We're already seeing that. I'm hopeful this team takes a big step forward next season, but there's little evidence to expect that.

I would have been fine with either way this played out. I could see upside for a change, but it became clear this week that this is no environment for a coaching change and search. And if you let the guy go now, but can't meet with potential hires in person for months, what does that do to recruiting? 100% nothing good with that scenario.

Honestly, the most hilarious/awesome part about this is all the very specific Pitino haters on here who have offered NOTHING to the conversation but the same drivel (but only during losses of course. These people know who they are - not talking about fans who have come to the opinion that they wanted a change, but the people who only posted the same shit since November OVER AND OVER AND OVER. You really made this board shitty. I love the fact that you get to sit around all offseason and cry in your Mom's spaghetti. Life sucks, huh? Simply cannot wait until we get to hear your same lines again starting in November (or whenever the first loss comes).

Bon appetit, boys. You rode your horse so hard into the ground and it's glorious to see you not get what you want.

Not only have the results been bad but the whole thing about attendance bottoming out this year has me shocked Coyle didnt make a move.

I realize our metrics were good enough, guess what folks, metrics dont me squat, its about the W's and L's. I highly doubt Gonzaga is touting to the college basketball world that they finished #1 in KenPom in 2017, they lost the title game so I am sure they could care less about their KenPom ranking.

I would have been fine with either way this played out. I could see upside for a change, but it became clear this week that this is no environment for a coaching change and search. And if you let the guy go now, but can't meet with potential hires in person for months, what does that do to recruiting? 100% nothing good with that scenario.

Honestly, the most hilarious/awesome part about this is all the very specific Pitino haters on here who have offered NOTHING to the conversation but the same drivel (but only during losses of course. These people know who they are - not talking about fans who have come to the opinion that they wanted a change, but the people who only posted the same shit since November OVER AND OVER AND OVER. You really made this board shitty. I love the fact that you get to sit around all offseason and cry in your Mom's spaghetti. Life sucks, huh? Simply cannot wait until we get to hear your same lines again starting in November (or whenever the first loss comes).

Bon appetit, boys. You rode your horse so hard into the ground and it's glorious to see you not get what you want.

So when the program wastes another after finishing in the bottom half of the B10 and Pitino gets fired...You will be happy because everyone has to suffer through another year? ok.

People won't watch or post or attend. We're already seeing that. I'm hopeful this team takes a big step forward next season, but there's little evidence to expect that.

Pretty sure that is what they were saying about attendance for the football program before this last season.

How bout winning a B10 championship every once in awhile or at least finishing second...It seems Wisconsin doesn't have a problem doing that....Pitino has proven that he cannot raise the program to a championship level (apparently like Coyle wants) and that will be the case next year....Extend him or fire him, sitting on the fence never works.
Wisconsin had to build a program and then they have hired from within their program or state for 25+ years. Dick Bennett had a losing Big Ten Record in 5 seasons, but managed to go to the final four after going 9-9 in conference play. Bo Ryan became the perfect hire for them.

Minnesota Sports

bwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwah

Blah. I was resigned to this outcome, but this is nothing but kicking the can down the road.
Once the virus is gone I hope you go watch something that you can really enjoy. Go find a team that you don't give up on then they go down by 5 points and call the game over. Take up cooking or something that doesn't throw a cloud over your head.

For me, I am hoping for and expecting a fun year of Gopher basketball starting in the Fall just like we did with Arob , Grier and Hagan or Murphy and Mason or Murphy and Coffey a couple of times when we might not have expect it.

Top Bottom