Pitino coming back

You really are an ignorant basketball fan (and person) aren't you? "Something called MTSU"? Yeah, the same something that beat the title favorites (Michigan State) in the tourney.

We also WAXED recent national champion Louisville in the first round. But you conveniently don't mention that and instead focus on us losing to eventual Final Four team (MSU) when one of the most productive players in Gopher history couldn't play.

You're very sad and transparent. Have fun crying all offseason. Also, you should move more than 100 miles away and find a new hobby. This one clearly isn't for you.

You were ok with Pitino being gone. In fact, you wanted him gone but just couldn't say it. You are cheering against them next year.

It's a cold dish of reality for all of us. Either Coyle couldn't get a guy that he wanted or he really likes Pitino. Neither option is good for the University of Minnesota basketball program.
Hold on there......I have been told by many on GH that we have one of the best AD's in the country. So what dish of reality are you referencing?

You were ok with Pitino being gone. In fact, you wanted him gone but just couldn't say it. You are cheering against them next year.

Buddy, I was okay with a change if Coyle wanted to do it. I trust the AD to do his job. It makes more sense to not try and alter a program with everything going on. I'll take my chances with the new players and spring recruiting this year. And there is a BIG difference between having an opinion about the coach, but still supporting the program and beating everyone over the head with your same complaint for a whole season. At least the educated posters on here who wanted Pitino gone ALSO post other things to add the board AND are fair with their praise when we won (not disappearing into the ether like a little pouting child).

Do you think you want to win any more than Coyle does? I think he has thought this through and knows what his options were and made his decision accordingly. This is his best shot for this year otherwise someone else would be coach. I was ready for the change and am a bit surprised but I trust the AD on this and am excited to see it play out.

I guarantee you that this means that Coyle has talked to a lot of people including players and he has found that the coach is more respected than you think.
Not according to BADGER.

Not what I am referring to. They think that anyone who wasn't on board with keeping Pitino is a troll and not a fan of the team/program, etc.
I dont get that from either of their posts.

This is really a do-nothing move.
I can't decide if I should fire or not, so I just won't change the current answer of he's our coach.

I think with the virus, this is probably a reason why. No hot coach to get people excited about during the tournament. Also, buyouts for a few targets might be lower next year.

For Gopher fans, you either were already watching, or not watching at this point. Next year the same people will be watching minus a couple maybe.

It is what it is. We can move on and hope for the best. If Belein really does go to Northwestern or somewhere similar, that will be a hard pill to swallow though.

BADGER. You sing the praises of Coyle. He, apparently, has decided to retain rp. Tough pill to swallow for the Coyle lovers.

Rumor has it Mark Coyle and a regent had a private charter plane reserved from March 15th to April 15th to interview potential coaches. Basically, the corona virus saved Pitino's job for another year.

Rumor has it Mark Coyle and a regent had a private charter plane reserved from March 15th to April 15th to interview potential coaches. Basically, the corona virus saved Pitino's job for another year.
On the surface, that makes some sense. But I don’t buy it. All coaches are now available to interview. First interviews can be done over conference call. Private planes still able to fly, so not really any excuses. You can’t tell me if you told Craig Smith to come for an interview for a job that will make him loads more money, he wouldn’t do it.

We have given an average (at best) coach more than enough leash to hang himself. Other coaches have to see how low expectations we have and realize if they’re even average they can keep their job indefinitely.

Buddy, I was okay with a change if Coyle wanted to do it. I trust the AD to do his job. It makes more sense to not try and alter a program with everything going on. I'll take my chances with the new players and spring recruiting this year. And there is a BIG difference between having an opinion about the coach, but still supporting the program and beating everyone over the head with your same complaint for a whole season. At least the educated posters on here who wanted Pitino gone ALSO post other things to add the board AND are fair with their praise when we won (not disappearing into the ether like a little pouting child).

You were never ok with the change before. In other words, you wanted change and couldn't say it after all your pompoms for Pitino.

Try cheering for them next year, ok!

On the surface, that makes some sense. But I don’t buy it. All coaches are now available to interview. First interviews can be done over conference call. Private planes still able to fly, so not really any excuses. You can’t tell me if you told Craig Smith to come for an interview for a job that will make him loads more money, he wouldn’t do it.

We have given an average (at best) coach more than enough leash to hang himself. Other coaches have to see how low expectations we have and realize if they’re even average they can keep their job indefinitely.
I would guess that he had a short list of guys that would have made him make the move. I would guess that he put out feelers and did not get positive feedback from the guys he really wants. Smith may be a great potential coach but he may not have been enough to convince Coyle.
Either that or he has a guy that he wants that would come, but not now as the timing is not right. I think he thinks enough of Pitino that he wasn't willing to settle for less than a home run guy.

I would guess that he had a short list of guys that would have made him make the move. I would guess that he put out feelers and did not get positive feedback from the guys he really wants. Smith may be a great potential coach but he may not have been enough to convince Coyle.
Either that or he has a guy that he wants that would come, but not now as the timing is not right. I think he thinks enough of Pitino that he wasn't willing to settle for less than a home run guy.
If that is the truth, that is about the only palatable reason for Pitino coming back. We all saw what happened when Kill and Pitino were hired- they were both way down the list. Not a good way to start a tenure.

Hold on there......I have been told by many on GH that we have one of the best AD's in the country. So what dish of reality are you referencing?
Coyle has made some good moves (Fleck) and some bold moves that may work out well (Motzko, Whalen). Did anyone say he was infallible? If none of his top 5-6 candidates were interested, he may have felt this is the best option for now and to reevaluate next year.

I consider myself a realistic fan. And realistically, I have a hard time seeing how this program improves next year.

to Start, the Gophers are (most likely) losing their best player and focal point of the team. this year, defenses had to account for Oturu on every possession. He would get doubled and that opened up opportunities for other players.

Who is going to draw that kind of attention next year? If I was playing MN, I would go after Carr and chase or double him all over the court and wear him down.

For the Gophers to be better next year, they either have to A. find a grad transfer big who can step right in and produce - or B. Curry has to come back and have a miraculous season. Otherwise, they will get no production from the front line, and other teams will just extend their defenses and run the Gophers off the 3-point line.

Sure, some players have room for improvement - but enough improvement to make up for what they're losing?

if the Gophers are .500 or better next year, Pitino deserves an extension. I wouldn't bet on it.

I find this easier to believe than "this job sucks and he couldn't get anyone he wanted." I don't think they wanted the bad PR of doing it now and didn't want the risk of trying to do it 4-8 weeks from now.

Coyle has made some good moves (Fleck) and some bold moves that may work out well (Motzko, Whalen). Did anyone say he was infallible? If none of his top 5-6 candidates were interested, he may have felt this is the best option for now and to reevaluate next year.
Coyle must think more of rp than realized. Or is the Mn job still not worth much?

I consider myself a realistic fan. And realistically, I have a hard time seeing how this program improves next year.

to Start, the Gophers are (most likely) losing their best player and focal point of the team. this year, defenses had to account for Oturu on every possession. He would get doubled and that opened up opportunities for other players.

Who is going to draw that kind of attention next year? If I was playing MN, I would go after Carr and chase or double him all over the court and wear him down.

For the Gophers to be better next year, they either have to A. find a grad transfer big who can step right in and produce - or B. Curry has to come back and have a miraculous season. Otherwise, they will get no production from the front line, and other teams will just extend their defenses and run the Gophers off the 3-point line.

Sure, some players have room for improvement - but enough improvement to make up for what they're losing?

if the Gophers are .500 or better next year, Pitino deserves an extension. I wouldn't bet on it.
Even if it's a "good" coaching job to get a .500 record out of the returning talent, why would sign up for more of that? If the talent is poor, that's on Richard. He needs to either shock us and make the tournament next year, or he needs to go. Period.

Coyle must think more of rp than realized. Or is the Mn job still not worth much?
The MN job isn’t worth as much as many of us would like to believe. Coyle likes RP as a person and believes he runs a tight ship, which gave him years 7 and 8. It won’t be enough to give him year 9 unless there is significant improvement.

I would think that could have some truth. With spring sports being cancelled and an uncertain fall economic climate...I'm sure any A.D. would be nervous for buyouts and higher salaries.

Top Bottom