Pitino coming back

Really? Wow MN has fired their last two coaches who had been to the round of 32 in the last two years.

No one gave two schits that Tubby was let go.

It would have been the same here, sir!

Wisconsin had to build a program and then they have hired from within their program or state for 25+ years. Dick Bennett had a losing Big Ten Record in 5 seasons, but managed to go to the final four after going 9-9 in conference play. Bo Ryan became the perfect hire for them.

And i am still hoping some day for that here.

Once the virus is gone I hope you go watch something that you can really enjoy. Go find a team that you don't give up on then they go down by 5 points and call the game over. Take up cooking or something that doesn't throw a cloud over your head.

For me, I am hoping for and expecting a fun year of Gopher basketball starting in the Fall just like we did with Arob , Grier and Hagan or Murphy and Mason or Murphy and Coffey a couple of times when we might not have expect it.
ZZZ. I throw a reverse jinx out once in a while and a couple posters can't let it go. I will root for them just as hard as you. I don't mind being proven wrong. But I'm not going to sit here and pretend I see tons of upside to this roster if their best player leaves.

Not only have the results been bad but the whole thing about attendance bottoming out this year has me shocked Coyle didnt make a move.

I realize our metrics were good enough, guess what folks, metrics dont me squat, its about the W's and L's. I highly doubt Gonzaga is touting to the college basketball world that they finished #1 in KenPom in 2017, they lost the title game so I am sure they could care less about their KenPom ranking.
Do you think you want to win any more than Coyle does? I think he has thought this through and knows what his options were and made his decision accordingly. This is his best shot for this year otherwise someone else would be coach. I was ready for the change and am a bit surprised but I trust the AD on this and am excited to see it play out.

I guarantee you that this means that Coyle has talked to a lot of people including players and he has found that the coach is more respected than you think.

Not only have the results been bad but the whole thing about attendance bottoming out this year has me shocked Coyle didnt make a move.

I realize our metrics were good enough, guess what folks, metrics dont me squat, its about the W's and L's. I highly doubt Gonzaga is touting to the college basketball world that they finished #1 in KenPom in 2017, they lost the title game so I am sure they could care less about their KenPom ranking.

Metrics don't mean everything, no. But they are important and give better insight into how good a team is than only looking at W/L record. There was a reason Ohio State remained around the top 10 KenPom rankings for most of the season, even when they fell to 2-6 in B1G play. And look how they finished out, likely would've been a 5 seed in the tourney. If we consistently have teams in the top 30 or 40 of KenPom the results will show up in future years.

Once the virus is gone I hope you go watch something that you can really enjoy. Go find a team that you don't give up on then they go down by 5 points and call the game over. Take up cooking or something that doesn't throw a cloud over your head.

For me, I am hoping for and expecting a fun year of Gopher basketball starting in the Fall just like we did with Arob , Grier and Hagan or Murphy and Mason or Murphy and Coffey a couple of times when we might not have expect it.

A losing record is a fun year for you though.

Can you guys give it a rest? Obviously Coyle is acceptable with the "progress" that Pitino is making and he knows a hell of a lot more of the details then a bunch of circle jerks on a fan forum! It must be tough to live in your world, b!tching about things you know nothing about and have no control over.

I would hope you guys back off from the vitriol for the off season and start fresh next season with the hope of a gopher basketball fan. He is our coach and the roster are our players, lets give them a little respect and hope for the best.

Yawn. The worst part is that BlockM and Czar think they are right.

Well, look at it this way. This site wouldn't be much fun if everyone thought like us (not that it's a great deal of fun anyway).

I just don't think that Coyle wanted to make a move at this time with all of the other things going on in the country and the economy and I expect that other ADs will feel the same way unless the firing decisions are no-brainers.

I like Coach Pitino...great guy and a quality human being. However, there isn't a business owner on the planet that would accept his success rate. He has an Overall Winning percentage of 54.0% (includes all the cupcake NC opponents) and a putrid 36.9% in Big 10 play. Make any argument or excuse that you want because you like Coach Pitino personally but that simply is not acceptable for a coach in a P5 program. The decision to retain Coach Pitino was a poor one from this fan's perspective but I'll always support the squad regardless of who the Coach is. Everyone stay safe and healthy...Go Gophers!
Slim speaks for me. Thanks for being the voice of reason and experience.

I'm sure they'll cobble some lineups together lacking a true center, but it's going to continue to put too much burden on too few serviceable players, especially Carr. It won't be horrible, but it sure will continue to be a whole lot less than the championship caliber of basketball Coyle refers to with his hollow words.

I think its time to move on. However, I came to believe over the last few weeks Pitino was coming back so not surprised by this.

The job for Pitino became a lot tougher. Negative recruiting about his job status going into next year most certainly going to be used against him.

Since you go to two games and I go to all of them, no I'd say I want to win at least as much or more as you. I'm just trying real hard not to be a baby about it and run home with my toys if decisions don't get made my way. I would have been fine today if Pitino got fired and tonight I would be waiting pensively to hear news of incoming flights. As it stands I trust the AD and my hopes are high for the program.

I think its time to move on. However, I came to believe over the last few weeks Pitino was coming back so not surprised by this.

The job for Pitino became a lot tougher. Negative recruiting about his job status going into next year most certainly going to be used against him.

Not only this but if they start poorly in the B10 he will be hounded by the media day in and day out...

Actually, it was kind of fun for me because I was hoping that Pitino would be fired. That didn't work out but now I can carry over that same sense of fun to next season. It could be 15-17 fun, or 10-21 fun, or maybe an altogether different kind of fun - like a good season fun.

100% he is going to have to fight through that and succeed. He is going to have to convince kids that they can win this year and that the U is a great place to be with great team mates. He has a good basic nucleus to work with, but he has to add pieces and the pieces he already has have to be good fast. He is also going to have to get more out of his guys on the defensive end and be the grittiest team in the league next year. Let's see what happens. Good for you that you are taking a wait and see approach to some degree. It is no shame to think he should have been fired, that was a reasonable opinion.

I don't buy this for a minute.

I agree that he probably wouldn't suffer much media backlash but I can understand his hesitation. Who wants to be the person who creates some new piece of bad news in this environment?

Since you go to two games and I go to all of them, no I'd say I want to win at least as much or more as you. I'm just trying real hard not to be a baby about it and run home with my toys if decisions don't get made my way. I would have been fine today if Pitino got fired and tonight I would be waiting pensively to hear news of incoming flights. As it stands I trust the AD and my hopes are high for the program.

Are you going to all the games living 100 miles away? I'm just curious!

Probably yes. Snowstorms no, otherwise yes.

Oh, for sure! Do you ever get up and go to work?

So you'd be driving 100 miles to watch this stuff every day. Luckily, you are not hooked up to a lie detector!

Well, look at it this way. This site wouldn't be much fun if everyone thought like us (not that it's a great deal of fun anyway).

I just don't think that Coyle wanted to make a move at this time with all of the other things going on in the country and the economy and I expect that other ADs will feel the same way unless the firing decisions are no-brainers.
I get why he wasn't fired. I thought he should have been. Oh well overall. Those two don't just think differently, they ridicule anyone who doesn't think like them.

I agree that he probably wouldn't suffer much media backlash but I can understand his hesitation. Who wants to be the person who creates some new piece of bad news in this environment?
In fairness, the ignorant national media flogged Teague when he fired Smith, but Tubby is a probable HOF inductee.

Disappointing to say the least. He will have a hard go of it next year, but the excuses are already lining up. But Oturu left! He can’t be expected to win...he should get another year! I really do hope to be proven wrong, but what recruit or high caliber transfer is going to want to come here? The vultures flying around Pitinos head are real. Maybe he gets Walton and a plug n play grad center. But that’s a tall order considering recent history.

Really close. They were in pretty much every game. Ken Pom has them at #27 in the Country? 27!!! Too many people are just looking at the record. I'm upset that they didn't do better. Coyle knows what he wants and he seems to like his coach right now.
Does how the coaches from all the Gopher teams get along and interact with each other play into the decision? Maybe the HC Room is full of really good people who help make Coyle's job a little easier. Eventually not winning would require a change no matter your personal feelings.

Disappointing to say the least. He will have a hard go of it next year, but the excuses are already lining up. But Oturu left! He can’t be expected to win...he should get another year! I really do hope to be proven wrong, but what recruit or high caliber transfer is going to want to come here? The vultures flying around Pitinos head are real. Maybe he gets Walton and a plug n play grad center. But that’s a tall order considering recent history.

We are replacing a top 3 player in the conference with a raw front court player........and a 5'11" guard who should play the point but Carr is there. This coming off a losing record. What exactly could go wrong? LOL

Beat by something called MTSU, and blown into the next century by MSU. Those were great rides!

You really are an ignorant basketball fan (and person) aren't you? "Something called MTSU"? Yeah, the same something that beat the title favorites (Michigan State) in the tourney.

We also WAXED recent national champion Louisville in the first round. But you conveniently don't mention that and instead focus on us losing to eventual Final Four team (MSU) when one of the most productive players in Gopher history couldn't play.

You're very sad and transparent. Have fun crying all offseason. Also, you should move more than 100 miles away and find a new hobby. This one clearly isn't for you.

Top Bottom