PiPress: Buildup to 2013 is on for Cretin-Derham Hall star

People just don't like to be corrected, especially when they are wrong.

unfortunately, when dpod is wrong, he stalks.... and then tries to out-shout everyone until they give up. it gets old.

Every board needs a dpodoll. He is sort of like the sheriff the town folk’s bring-in in westerns to clean up the town. Once he has done his job they then want him to leave. The good news for dpodoll I don't think this board will ever run out things for him to fix.

Haha well said.

He was a freshman.

Wong Bob. Your boy Lamonte has had 2 years to show why he was probably the 2nd highest rated recruit (behind Gjere). Still without a position, still hasn't made an impact. At this point, he is a pretty good example of the great measureables, can play anywhere HS player not working out so well.

Wong Bob. Your boy Lamonte has had 2 years to show why he was probably the 2nd highest rated recruit (behind Gjere). Still without a position, still hasn't made an impact. At this point, he is a pretty good example of the great measureables, can play anywhere HS player not working out so well.

How about we let him play at least a few games at his new position before we call his college career a failure?

Troy Stoudemire didn't have a position for a long time. We were all begging for him to come back.

You are correct he has had two years. A redshirt year and his redshirt FRESHMAN year. This was his first year with this staff. I will stick with Lamonte. By all accounts he is a great kid and will help the U during his career. We are a better team with him on it.

Give it a rest, he was a redshirt freshmen last year and the coaching staff moved him to a new position after game 2. What was your expectation? If he's not starting and playing well his junior year, then your point is valid. Kill has gushed about Lamonte numerous times, I've heard him say something to the effect of "I won't be here long if I can't find a way to get him on the field."

No reason to wait out the Sweet 16...why don't you just go away? There's a lot of decent members tired of your acerbic, sarcastic, critical s#&t that you post on this respectable fan site.

And as soon as one of those posters whose opinions I respect (i.e., the exact opposite of the regard I hold for yours) tells me I need to go away, I may consider it. You telling me you don't like me means I'm doing everything exactly right.

unfortunately, when dpod is wrong, he stalks.... and then tries to out-shout everyone until they give up. it gets old.

Your delusion knows no bounds. No one is "stalking" you. You usually keep your terrible takes confined to the basketball board, so when you migrate those terrible takes over to the football board, I'm damn sure gonna say something.

And though I'm wrong often, I've certainly never been wrong in an argument with you. Common sense and logic are your enemies, and I have both in spades.

Why?

The kid has three more years to play and you want to write him off? I am quite confortable that this kid has the ability to contribute and Kill will develop his talents. Patience my friend, patience.

Well, you're wrong all over this thread...

He was a freshman last year, there is this thing in college athletics called "redshirting". Maybe you don't honor the practice, but guys like Steven Montgomery, Foster Bush, Joe Bjorklund are going to be freshman next year even though it'll be their second year in the program. Everyone recognizes them as FR, like they are eligbile for Freshman of the year type awards. (This carries all the way through, like Keanon Cooper is going to be a SR next year, even though he has been in the program 5 years).

I've never heard anyone refer to Lamonte Edwards as my boy, that was sort of strange.

He has a position, he is a linebacker. You should pay closer attention. He started a game as a freshman (he was a FR last season whether you like it or not), played quite a bit.

This isn't an example of anything, only a complete buffoon would judge a football player's career by how well he performed as a freshman. Do you need the endless list of players who didn't do much until their SO/JR seasons? Is it really that difficult to use common sense?
His progression is entirely natural....
FR: Started 1 game in relief duty, backup, special teams
SO: He will backup Cooper and Rallis, he'll see a ton of PT (you'll actually have to watch the games and not just when they list the starting lineup). He has an outside shot of starting if Rallis is moved inside.
JR: He'll start (should, it's hard to project)
SR: He'll start

Nope. Never said that. I certainly trust the opinion of several multimillionaire head coaches over the opinion of some anonymous know-nothing on a sports-themed message board.

And, re: Virginia, let's make a bet. If they make the Sweet 16, I'll go away and never post here again. If they don't, you go away and never post here again. Whaddya say, Big Mouth?

let's stick with YOUR original terms: "anything above the lower quartile of the ACC.".... i'll take the bet. oops.. did you just "lose" to dboy?... if i don't "know anything about anything", where does that leave you??

This is one that will get away. I know a number of his teammates. I can't get into specifics but he's told his friends that it'll be Notre Dame or Stanford & if it's not, it wont be Minnesota.

Well, you're wrong all over this thread... Sorry, I am on my knees begging for forgiveness Mr. AllKnowing -- hahaha

He was a freshman last year, there is this thing in college athletics called "redshirting". Maybe you don't honor the practice, but guys like Steven Montgomery, Foster Bush, Joe Bjorklund are going to be freshman next year even though it'll be their second year in the program. Everyone recognizes them as FR, like they are eligbile for Freshman of the year type awards. (This carries all the way through, like Keanon Cooper is going to be a SR next year, even though he has been in the program 5 years). Really?? Were these Montgomery, Bush and Bjorklung guys all highly-rated 4 star recruits too?? Like Edwards??

I've never heard anyone refer to Lamonte Edwards as my boy, that was sort of strange. Not so strange when I see you gush over certain HS players and assure all of us less intelligent followers of Bob that a certain player, one of which was Lamonte, is a can't miss prospect...

He has a position, he is a linebacker. You should pay closer attention. He started a game as a freshman (he was a FR last season whether you like it or not), played quite a bit. Played some as a rush DE, some at LB, still wants to be a RB - but if you say so, he is a LB. (bowing again Mr. KnowItAll)

This isn't an example of anything, only a complete buffoon would judge a football player's career by how well he performed as a freshman. Do you need the endless list of players who didn't do much until their SO/JR seasons? Is it really that difficult to use common sense?
His progression is entirely natural....
FR: Started 1 game in relief duty, backup, special teams
SO: He will backup Cooper and Rallis, he'll see a ton of PT (you'll actually have to watch the games and not just when they list the starting lineup). He has an outside shot of starting if Rallis is moved inside.
JR: He'll start (should, it's hard to project)
SR: He'll start

Sorry you blew up because you thought I was actually countering one of your comments. I was only showing that the measureables don't always tell the story. I have nothing against Edwards, he was just the example in this post, but on a team that lacks speed/talent as we have the past 2 years, I would expect a 4 star to play some immediately and play a lot in year 2.

BTW Bob, posting LIKE you know everything doesn't mean you do know everything.

Bob - just noticed I have join date before yours, and I followed silently for a long time prior to that but I am just not as full of hot air as you (3562 posts vs 64). I have no doubt I know at least as much about the game as you do but it doesn't matter. I live in the FL panhandle and have seen many good players over the years. Like 4 star RBs that actually start or at least make an impact their true FR year - on some pretty good teams.

You do actually post some good stuff but not every opinion of yours is fact. Get over yourself...

The rest of you that replied - I have nothing against Lamonte. His name was brought up earlier in the thread when discussing measureables vs. on the field results and 1 position vs. multi-position HS players. But I do think you should expect a highly touted 4 star to have produced more at the end of his second year practicing with the team, being on campus, working out, etc., that what Lamonte has done. You say give him a break he's at a new position, but doesn't that mean he has already been a non-factor or contributor at another position??

Bob - just noticed I have join date before yours, and I followed silently for a long time prior to that but I am just not as full of hot air as you (3562 posts vs 64). I have no doubt I know at least as much about the game as you do but it doesn't matter. I live in the FL panhandle and have seen many good players over the years. Like 4 star RBs that actually start or at least make an impact their true FR year - on some pretty good teams.

You do actually post some good stuff but not every opinion of yours is fact. Get over yourself...

The rest of you that replied - I have nothing against Lamonte. His name was brought up earlier in the thread when discussing measureables vs. on the field results and 1 position vs. multi-position HS players. But I do think you should expect a highly touted 4 star to have produced more at the end of his second year practicing with the team, being on campus, working out, etc., that what Lamonte has done. You say give him a break he's at a new position, but doesn't that mean he has already been a non-factor or contributor at another position??

Wow. Just ... wow.

Sadly, he is semi-right.
Normally, I would not agree because of the lack of impact freshmen there are nationwide, but there have been an abnormally high amount of under classmen who have seen significant pt for us the past couple of years and Lamonte hasn't been one of them.

But LTG is also ignoring that Lamonte still has tons of time to prove him wrong and be a solid contributor or even a stand out the rest of his career which I think will be the case.

LTG, since you're in the Florida Panhandle, I"m guessing you've seen quite a few 4-star players at FSU and Alabama who played sparingly their redshirt freshmen years and still went on to have very successful, and possibly even NFL careers?

Sure I have, but those programs are is somewhat better shape than we have been, agreed? And get numerous 4 star players, agreed? Richardson and Finch are two examples of local kids that were impact FR. Of course Richardson was a 5 star but he also played as a tFR with a future Heisman winner. Auburn's (at the time) Dyer starts, runs for 1200 yards during season, and is named MVP of BCS NC game as a true FR.

AGAIN, I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST LAMONTE. I hope he turns into an awesome player. The discussion was on measureables vs on the field results and his name was brought up. I am not saying there is no chance he will not become a good player. I did state that he has had 2 years to prove himself. Bob wants to not count his first year because he redshirted and I said it counts as a year in the program.

Wow...i've really struck a nerve.

#1: Read carefully....I've never gushed about Lamonte Edwards. In fact, I used to get called out for blasting Lamonte Edwards because I didn't think he was a very good RB. I think he'll eventually be a good LB, but I never, never thought Lamonte would be a good Big 10 caliber RB. You're choosing Lamonte as a player I've gushed about is strange. The only thing i've said about him on this thread is that he deserved an offer before a lot of kids who were better HS football players. The other thing i've said is that it's purely idiotic to judge a player by his FR and RS FR years in a program.

#2:You asked me about Steve Montgomery, Bush and Bjorklund....nope they weren't. You can go read that paragraph again though. I only brought up their names because they redshirted last season. The redshirt rules apply to every player, 0 stars through 5 stars. So i'm not sure what their star rating really matters. So nope, Steve Montgomery wasn't a 4 star, but back to the point, he is still a RS FR next season. I also don't know his astrological sign.

#3: Measureables obviously don't tell the whole story on how players will turn out. Your point is common knowledge, that wasn't what this thread was about. Measureables play a huge part in how intense a kid is being recruited out of HS. A kid with big measureables (like Onwualu and Edwards) is going to get a lot more offers than a kid who doesn't. Does that gurantee their success? Obviously not.

Nope.

His name was brought up when determining why some kids who are better HS football players than other kids don't receive the same amount of offers. It's because of measureables. The question was what seperates a kid like Wilson from Woodbury with a kid like Edwards from Woodbury (Wilson was apparently the better HS player), and the answer was measureables.

No one on here was saying that if you have impressive athletic measurements, you're guaranteed to be a good college football player. We were talking about why people get scholarship offers.

Sure, some of them do. But you've also seen a ton of good football players not contribute in their first two seasons:
Cam Newton
Dre Kirkpatrick only played special teams and reserve as a FR
For us:
K. Cooper - RS and then a reserve
R. Hageman - RS and then nothing

About Lamonte Edwards being a LB. It's not me who has said it, it's the coaches. He was moved to LB for good, according to them. It was the only deep position on the team last year and he was able to move from RB to LB and start a week later (leap frogged a couple 3 star athletes after a week of preparation). He'll play a lot next season and he'll take over for K. Cooper when he is a JR.

1) A player changing positions does not always mean they weren't very good at the original position.
2) Edwards moved to a position in which we had a good of amount of experience already.
3) When you have a complete change in coaching staff like we did last year, in some ways, that's similar to if a player transfers to another program. Yes, Edwards has been in the program for two years but he's been (along with everyone else) in Kill's program for just one. You change coaching staff, scheme, and position all in a short time; that's going to be difficult.

Some people just rub others the wrong way and they will never see eye to eye. Accept it. If you still feel strongly, voice your opinion and when they come at you with personal attacks just grab a beer and enjoy the show.

Now maybe we can get back on topic? Anyone know what JO said in the Iowa rivals interview?

Wow, I give up Bob. It is your world. Anyone else who has a thought that may be slight counter to yours is obviously an idiot.

Again, I apologize for trying to co-exist in your world and actually provide a thought outside of your box.

Back to stealth, read only mode.

Wow, I give up Bob. It is your world. Anyone else who has a thought that may be slight counter to yours is obviously an idiot.

Again, I apologize for trying to co-exist in your world and actually provide a thought outside of your box.

Back to stealth, read only mode.
You can have an opinion but you were writing off a redshirt freshman for no reason at all. That is something that I would call stupid.

Top Bottom