Pinstripe Starting QB Thread

If I’m Athan, and PJ starts Tanner ahead of me for this game, I transfer out immediately after the game. Tanner had a great career. He clearly is not the best QB on the team. He has also had 2 concussions this year. There is zero reason to start Tanner. No one is cheating him out of finishing his career on a high note if he doesn’t start. It would send the wrong message to the team if Tanner starts and if I’m Athan, that sends a message that makes me move on.
My, my, is that an elite thought? The starting position is Athan's next season. He is the heir apparent. I don't think it is a slight against Athan Kaliakmanis if Tanner Morgan starts and vice-versa.

KC realizes the WR corps is not as elite this season due to injuries and talent/experience level. A dropped pass in the Purdue game may have cost them the B1G West. It could have been the difference with a couple of additional wins in the season.

The running game with Mo Ibrahim was purring on all cylinders. It gave cover for any shortcomings of the WR Room. The Gophers ran up the TOP (35/24) with a 54/46 (2621/2231) run-to-pass ratio.

Regardless of who the QB is, the WR talent level post-Rashod Bateman needs to upgrade through the Transfer Portal and HS recruiting. A healthy Chris Autman-Bell and Brevyn Spann-Ford will help with senior leadership. Le'Meke Brockington, Daniel Jackson, and the two newcomer transfers may elevate the talent and depth.

Will running backs Zach Evans, Jordan Nubin, and Bryce Williams or newcomers Darius Taylor or Marquese Williams surprise?

The Gophers are well-coached for the most part and play a disciplined brand of football. Remember when the GOphers went to Lincoln 35 players short due to Covid and beat Nebraska?

PJ Fleck said in his presser that he needed to stir up the Wide Receiver Room by signing four high school and two Transfer Portal recruits in the 2023 class:

Pierce Walsh Fr. WR Downers Grove, Ill.
Elijah Spencer Jr. WR Irmo, S.C.
T.J. McWilliams Fr. WR Indianapolis, Ind.
Kenric Lanier II Fr. WR Decatur, Ga.
Donielle Hayes Fr. WR Pensacola, Fla.
Corey Crooms Jr. 5th WR Country Club Hills, Ill.

It is not going to be any easier with the new coaching upgrades with Luke Fickel in Wisconsin, Matt Rhule in Nebraska, and possibly Drew Brees at Purdue.

Last edited:

guys, I think Athan understands what Tanner Morgan has meant to Fleck and to the Gopher FB program.

my gut tells me that IF Morgan started (I don't think he will) Athan would be cheering the loudest on the sidelines.

again, all indications are that Athan will start and play the majority of the game.

But, with Morgan being cleared, I think Morgan will make an appearance in the game. In fact, the team might be motivated to establish a big lead, because that makes it more likely that Morgan will come in for at least a few snaps.

this is NOT an either/or situation.

this is a case of two teammates. teammates who support each other.

if Athan was the kind of kid who would say "If I don't start, I won't be happy" - then I don't think he would have been recruited to MN in the 1st place.
Very well said. Morgan is not a threat to Athan, he is a friend and mentor. I am sure Fleck, Athan, and Tanner are on the same page.

My, my, is that an elite thought? The starting position is Athan's next season. He is the heir apparent. I don't think it is a slight against Athan Kaliakmanis if Tanner Morgan starts and vice-versa.

KC realizes the WR corps is not as elite this season due to injuries and talent/experience level. A dropped pass in the Purdue game may have cost them the B1G West. It could have been the difference with a couple of additional wins in the season.

The running game with Mo Ibrahim was purring on all cylinders. It gave cover for any shortcomings of the WR Room. The Gophers ran up the TOP (35/24) with a 54/46 (2621/2231) run-to-pass ratio.

Regardless of who the QB is, the WR talent level post-Rashod Bateman needs to upgrade through the Transfer Portal and HS recruiting. A healthy Chris Autman-Bell and Brevyn Spann-Ford will help with senior leadership. Le'Meke Brockington, Daniel Jackson, and the two newcomer transfers may elevate the talent and depth.

Will running backs Zach Evans, Jordan Nubin, and Bryce Williams or newcomers Darius Taylor or Marquese Williams surprise?

The Gophers are well-coached for the most part and play a disciplined brand of football. Remember when the GOphers went to Lincoln 35 players short due to Covid and beat Nebraska?

PJ Fleck said in his presser that he needed to stir up the Wide Receiver Room by signing four high school and two Transfer Portal recruits in the 2023 class:

Pierce Walsh Fr. WR Downers Grove, Ill.
Elijah Spencer Jr. WR Irmo, S.C.
T.J. McWilliams Fr. WR Indianapolis, Ind.
Kenric Lanier II Fr. WR Decatur, Ga.
Donielle Hayes Fr. WR Pensacola, Fla.
Corey Crooms Jr. 5th WR Country Club Hills, Ill.

It is not going to be any easier with the new coaching upgrades with Luke Fickel in Wisconsin, Matt Rhule in Nebraska, and possibly Drew Brees at Purdue.

Last edited:

If Tanner is cleared to play and he feels good, I think there’s about zero chance PJ doesn’t start him. It’s his last game as a Gopher, he has done a ton for this program, he came with PJ on day one, and he’s a fringe NFL candidate. There is no chance PJ keeps him on the bench for the first play.

This second concussion = you can’t play sounds like complete speculation that people are projecting because they want Athan to start. Just like with any injury, they can play when they are medically cleared to play, and Tanner has been medically cleared.

I don’t know if I’d transfer but I do know my relationship with PJ would change if Tanner started.
It’s hard to speculate because we don’t know how it has been laid out when starters get hurt. Is there a policy of you can’t lose your spot to injury? Is it case by case?
But if I’m AK8 I want to know, I mean really know my coach believes in me and wants to win. If Tanner starts in my place, can’t help but create doubt in how good he thinks I am.

Don’t tell me. Show me by your actions I’m your QB.

If this is how AK feels then I don't want him as a QB. Since he isnt fragile though I am not worried about it.

Somebody understands what I’m saying. Athan should, and likely will, start and play the entire game except for a token series. If he doesn’t, then he should question PJs desire to win. Tanner starting or playing major minutes has no long term benefit to this team. Frankly, he should never have been allowed back for his 6th year. It cost them a chance at playing in the Big Ten Championship.

No we all get what you are saying...that is why we are mocking you for it.

If this is how AK feels then I don't want him as a QB. Since he isnt fragile though I am not worried about it.
Exactly. I don't want players that are as petty as some on this forum. Thankfully I don't think our players are.

In the end, a completely irrelevant thread.

Yea!

Top Bottom