Pinstripe Starting QB Thread

gopherlaney

Reaction score
From a program perspective I hope AK8 gets all the 1st team reps in bowl prep and starts. However, multiple articles have stated “if Tanner Morgan is healthy.”

This thread is for all things Pinstripe Bowl starting QB (opinions and/or intel).

I want the Gophers to win.

if Morgan is healthy, and he can contribute to a victory, I'm fine with that. Just have to trust that the Coaches will make a decision based on who is the 'best' player for the situation.

in recognition of what he has meant to the program, I hope Morgan - at the very least - can make an appearance in the game.

and next year, we never have to have this discussion again. starting Friday, this is Athan's team.

I’d be tempted to call for PJ’s head if he benched Athan after winning the axe and putting on clinic in Camp Randall.

Thanks for everything, Tanner, but the future is now.
Come on man.....It wouldn't be benching Athan to let Morgan start in the bowl game. It would be giving one of the best QBs to ever play at the U of M a chance to end his career on a high note.

If Morgan is healthy I hope he gets to play. Whether that is him starting or them splitting series or whatever it would be great to see him end his career on the field.

Athan gained a ton of valuable experience over the later part of the season and I am sure he is getting the majority of the first team reps in bowl practices as well. He is clearly the future. Taking a backseat to Morgan in one final game isn't going to change or affect any of that.

It would be giving one of the best QBs to ever play at the U of M a chance to end his career on a high note.

I don't agree with this at all. Every game is valuable experience for Athan to develop into the QB we hope he can be. If the situation allows for it, I'd give Morgan a drive late in the game if we're winning comfortably. Athan should have never had the ball taken out of his hands since Nebraska and to do it again because Tanner needs to be a factor in a 4th bowl game is insulting.

I’d like Tanner to at least make an appearance if he is healthy. I guess I would mostly play AK, but Tanner for a series isn’t going to hurt AK’s progress.

I would not be shocked to see either one starting. Agree or not, arguments can be made for both.

If the game is securely in hand, Morgan finishes.

I want the Gophers to win.

if Morgan is healthy, and he can contribute to a victory, I'm fine with that. Just have to trust that the Coaches will make a decision based on who is the 'best' player for the situation.

in recognition of what he has meant to the program, I hope Morgan - at the very least - can make an appearance in the game.

and next year, we never have to have this discussion again. starting Friday, this is Athan's team.
well, duhhh

We would know by now if he is healthy enough to play.

Fine with Tanner starting if cleared to go. However, if it is looking like the first half of the Nebbie game, then I want Athan in well before the end of the first quarter.

The differences between the two are pretty obvious...both have strengths and both have weaknesses. Watching however Tanner get swallowed alive by the Orange D in his last game is not something I want to see transpire. We'll know pretty quick how the O-Line is doing, plus both running and passing, no matter the QB.

Would have no problem enjoying a Tanner-led curb stomping nonetheless...

Merry Christmas all.

I don't agree with this at all. Every game is valuable experience for Athan to develop into the QB we hope he can be. If the situation allows for it, I'd give Morgan a drive late in the game if we're winning comfortably. Athan should have never had the ball taken out of his hands since Nebraska and to do it again because Tanner needs to be a factor in a 4th bowl game is insulting.
Guess we will have to agree to disagree. I also don't think Athan would be insulted if the coaches let a healthy Morgan play against Syracuse.

We will find out in a week or so I guess.

Morgan has already accepted an invitation to some post season game similar to the east west bowl, right?

That would presume he is healthy, and I would anticipate he starts.

Pinstripe game is meaningless. AK proved himself in Madison. He has nothing to prove against Syracuse in Yank Me Stadium. I have no problem with Minnesota's most winning QB going out in a Swan Song performance. Tanner deserves a curtain bow.

Tanner should make an appearance if he’s healthy. I would start AK8.

For Gods sake the coin flip in civilian clothes would be as much as Morgan needs to do.

I believe it was PJ who talked about the bowl season really being game #1 of the following year and I believe that's how it should be treated.

I'm fine with Tanner getting the final drive if the game is out of doubt, but AK should be starting this game. The reigns are his.

I believe it was PJ who talked about the bowl season really being game #1 of the following year and I believe that's how it should be treated.

I'm fine with Tanner getting the final drive if the game is out of doubt, but AK should be starting this game. The reigns are his.
So they should sit anyone who won’t be on the team next year, right? No reason to not give reps to next years team. It’s game 1.

So they should sit anyone who won’t be on the team next year, right? No reason to not give reps to next years team. It’s game 1.
Play the guy who didn't have QBR's of 19, 40, and 15 in 3 of his last 4 starts. Play the kid that earned it. Not the guy that you feel you have to thank for 2019 again.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree. I also don't think Athan would be insulted if the coaches let a healthy Morgan play against Syracuse.

We will find out in a week or so I guess.
Based on AK's familys tweet after the NE game, which we all read, they would understand TM getting one last chance. This is #8's team going forward and he knows it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

P.S. I want AK to start and Billd on his progress.

This what Kirk said about AK going into the bowl game. "And this is going to be a real challenge for him in this ballgame because the multiple looks that he's going to see. The different pressures that he's going to see. The ability to call the protections the right way. It's gonna be a challenge, as Syracuse does a great job of disguising their coverages......."

You can make your own determination. Mine is that this is AK's game.

Play the guy who didn't have QBR's of 19, 40, and 15 in 3 of his last 4 starts. Play the kid that earned it. Not the guy that you feel you have to thank for 2019 again.
Didn’t answer my question. If we’re moving on and considering this game 1 of 2023 we should play only guys we expect to be here next year.

This.

Tanner is a No for me, as a starter. If/when the game is put away, absolutely he should get to come in.

I also question if he really wants to risk a third concussion in one season?? I would caution him, but obviously the medical team will know best.

Top Bottom