Pinstripe Starting QB Thread

Didn’t answer my question. If we’re moving on and considering this game 1 of 2023 we should play only guys we expect to be here next year.
You’ll have to wait for the person that said it to reply to your question, but your rebuttal is elementary so I wouldn’t expect them to engage with you.

You’ll have to wait for the person that said it to reply to your question, but your rebuttal is elementary so I wouldn’t expect them to engage with you.
Haha. Ok. I just don’t understand not playing Morgan because his career is over here after the game but playing other guys. Unless the only position we need to develop is QB.

Would seem weird considering last year we played a lot of guys, Big Dan got a TD!
I’d play whoever gives the best chance to win. I don’t think it’s Tanner. But to say he shouldn’t play because he won’t be here next year then want them to play Mo and JMS is disingenuous.

Morgan has already accepted an invitation to some post season game similar to the east west bowl, right?

That would presume he is healthy, and I would anticipate he starts.
Let Tanner Morgan get some snaps in the game. Preserve him for the Hula Bowl. Mariano Sori-Marin will also be playing in the Hula Bowl.

UCF in Florida agreed to host the Hula Bowl. Aloha Stadium in Hawaii is closed for renovation and repair.

Last edited:

I’d play whoever gives the best chance to win. I don’t think it’s Tanner. But to say he shouldn’t play because he won’t be here next year then want them to play Mo and JMS is disingenuous.
I'd play both because they've both earned it. Give Syracuse 2 qbs to prepare for.

every snap in meaningful moments is meaningful for a young QBs development. AK should start and play every snap barring injury aside from some victory formation kneel downs at the end.

Thank you to Tanner Morgan who's been an absolute gem of a human being and a solid QB for us over the years. I'm guessing if you asked Tanner, he isn't going to be looking for pity snaps and wants what's best for this program.

Accuracy and experience.
experience is about the only thing but when it comes down to syracuse preparing for 2 Qbs to play I don't really see how tanner will cause them fits compared to AK in the gameplan

No, they shouldn’t. Google “nuance”.
I struggle to see why Morgan shouldn’t play but other departing players should.

Explain it please. “Nuance” isn’t an explanation.

I think our OL, DBs, RBs, etc would benefit from game reps. Mo was the bulk of the running game. JMS took nearly every snap at C. Multiple defenders played nearly every snap. Wouldn’t next years projected starters/backups benefit from game reps just like AK?

I’m being 100% sincere on wondering why people are adamant AK plays but these other guys don’t need reps

Explain it please. “Nuance” isn’t an explanation.

I think our OL, DBs, RBs, etc would benefit from game reps. Mo was the bulk of the running game. JMS took nearly every snap at C. Multiple defenders played nearly every snap. Wouldn’t next years projected starters/backups benefit from game reps just like AK?

I’m being 100% sincere on wondering why people are adamant AK plays but these other guys don’t need reps
AK touches the ball every play. Won the Nebraska game while Tanner could not. Mo also has a ton of value. I think Evans should play too. If Tanner wants to do a kneel down or a series that’s fine. Heck play Knuth for a series.

If Tanner dresses for the game, he will touch the ball on the field in some capacity. Otherwise, he will be in street clothes hyping up Athan.

Ok. Play the guy that wasn’t awful 3 of his last 4 starts.
Sure, had nothing to do with how the o-line played in those games. Athan looked as bad or worse as Morgan did in a couple games too when the o-line broke down. All comes down the o-line.

Both are good QBs. Athan a better runner and can throw a better deep ball. Morgan more accurate and better touch on the ball. They should both play. Athan for the experience and Morgan because he's earned it.

Ok. Play the guy that wasn’t awful 3 of his last 4 starts.
I don’t think Morgan was awful vs Purdue. Illinois and Nebraska weren’t good. I think most agree that AK needs to play and I assume he will get the majority of snaps. I think the only realistic debate is if Morgan will be given an honorary drive, just a snap, or nothing.

Sure, had nothing to do with how the o-line played in those games. Athan looked as bad or worse as Morgan did in a couple games too when the o-line broke down. All comes down the o-line.

Both are good QBs. Athan a better runner and can throw a better deep ball. Morgan more accurate and better touch on the ball. They should both play. Athan for the experience and Morgan because he's earned it.
Morgan hasn't earned anything this year, and I don't feel compelled to reward someone with significant playing time because of stuff that happened in previous seasons. Tanner was rewarded during those seasons. Athan till garbage time.

Let Tanner Morgan get some snaps in the game. Preserve him for the Hula Bowl. Mariano Sori-Marin will also be playing in the Hula Bowl.

UCF in Florida agreed to host the Hula Bowl. Aloha Stadium in Hawaii is closed for renovation and repair.
It’s not a binary choice and both can play. I think we kick their ass, Mo goona punish them in the first half and then slid In Morgan in for a series and victory snaps in second half

Good thoughts all around. This will be a test of Coach's "culture" and all the acronyms he has in his motivational and life-skill-building toolkit.

I think an underlying factor is that certainly myself and apparently others C.A.R.E. about this game (don't know if this stands for anything or not). We want...no believe...the PROGRAM needs this WIN even if in the Pinstripe agains Syracuse (for which I think is a fine opponent). That is certainly me.

Back to the debate, a lot of it around Tanner or Athan starting is framed in a kind of "past glory rewarded" versus "the future is now let's go!" Both have merit for a bowl game.

Meself is hoping the Coaching Staff starting with the HC are of course focused on who we need to field to beat this next opponent...aka the one game "Syracuse Championship Season." 9-4 would look pretty good at this point.

Merry Christmas.

Didn’t answer my question. If we’re moving on and considering this game 1 of 2023 we should play only guys we expect to be here next year.
Wrong. As always, you put your best team on the field. As always, the objective is to win. A bowl victory is the best preparation for next year.

Kaliakmanis is our best quarterback. He needs to play until the game is well in hand.

Explain it please.
Any other departing player who was replaced during the regular season by a younger and more capable player who helped the team win games, should also not play (until the game is put away).

Also, QB is (one of) the most important positions.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

But we have to thank Tanner for 2019. Again. How else will he feel appreciated?
I know this post was tongue-in-cheek, but I don't think anyone is against Tanner coming into the game .... at some point.

Would be a dream sendoff for him to get into the game and lead a TD drive.

This.

Tanner is a No for me, as a starter. If/when the game is put away, absolutely he should get to come in.

I also question if he really wants to risk a third concussion in one season?? I would caution him, but obviously the medical team will know best.
I question even more that Morgan actually wants to see the field late in mop up duty. That's demeaning to a QB of his career record. He may well prefer to see Knuth in that scenario.

Wrong. As always, you put your best team on the field. As always, the objective is to win. A bowl victory is the best preparation for next year.

Kaliakmanis is our best quarterback. He needs to play until the game is well in hand.
I agree. But the reasoning needs to be applied across the board.

Any other departing player who was replaced during the regular season by a younger and more capable player who helped the team win games, should also not play (until the game is put away).

Also, QB is (one of) the most important positions.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
I think if posters want to look to next year they shouldn’t want departing players to play. Mo doesn’t help the team next year. Unless he finds eligibility in his stocking.

Top Bottom