Philip Nelson

He very well could have ran a "4.4" hand held time. That time would calculate to a high 4.6 or a low 4.7. That isn't insane to think that. I went to high school in a small Minnesota town with a kid who won the 100 meter dash in the early 2000s. His 40 time was hand held at 4.45 and he constantly won the 100 meter dash with high 10.9 or low 11.0s. Remember all these 40s are in a straight line with no shoulder pads or helmets either.

Everyone has to remember at the combine everything is electronically timed. So someone that runs a 4.4 is the same as me timing him with my stop watch at 4.1-4.2.

I am pretty sure they have scouts at the combine using stop watches, they always did at the U pro day. Scouts like the handheld times better because they are "faster" than electronic times.

I remember Mike Lehan, Willie Middlebrooks and Tony Henderson all ran in the mid 4.2, 4.24-4.26.

I would guess that in my lifetime we've had one player run a legitimate sub 4.5.

That would be Larry in his first couple of years. Maybe not his last, HGH year. Whoops, did I write that?

I bet we've had a couple more sub 4.5 guys. Lehan, Sherels and Theret off the top of my head. But Larry was probably the only sub 4.4 guy.

Who is this Maverick52 guy anyway? You're full of sh*t bro.

Where do you suppose they get the 40 time?

Handheld times are meaningless without context. Real 40 times (like those at the combine) are electronic, far more precise, and are generally ~.24 slower than handheld times.

There are maybe 5-6 HS recruits in the entire country who have a legitimate 4.48 40. It is simply not possible that a 210 lb. white kid from Mankato is one of them. Sorry.

None of this means that I'm not excited to have him as a Gopher. I am, and very much so. But he doesn't, and never will, run a 4.48.

He obviously can't dance or dunk a basketball either right?

haha wow i'm really regretting bringing up his 40 yard dash time.. some of you people are harsh! either way, he is a pretty good runner for a QB.

I'm gonna step out on a limb here and say Theret was a 4.7 40 type of guy.

The QB discussion does get tiresome.

I'll sum up the last five years:
Gopher nations thoughts (my thoughts):

2007: weber has great potential (weber is terrible)
2008: man weber didn't finish strong but was all big ten (big ten QB play sucks, he's better than I thought but real mediocre)
2009: play gray! Weber sucks! (mix in gray more and more, it can't hurt)
2010: weber still sucks (weber is actually serviceable this year but they should play gray to get him some experience since the team is so bad)
2011: Gray sucks! Play max! (if Shortell is the QB in four years kill is fired in 5)

Could you expand on this thought? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing; I'm just wondering what you've seen from a true freshman in such limited action to be so sure he will be a big liability in four years.

I bet we've had a couple more sub 4.5 guys. Lehan, Sherels and Theret off the top of my head. But Larry was probably the only sub 4.4 guy.

Who is this Maverick52 guy anyway? You're full of sh*t bro.

I'm sorry, but HAHAHAHAHA. Maybe in a Ferrari or with a jet engine strapped to him. But not with his own two feet.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid - be busted his ass and tried to get better.

haha wow i'm really regretting bringing up his 40 yard dash time.. some of you people are harsh! either way, he is a pretty good runner for a QB.

according to some you need to qualify that and say he is a pretty good runner for a White qb from Mankato

See I told you. I just knew that the post would get twisted once I saw a 40 time. You could have put down 9.5 minutes and that would have sparked a debate....

Could you expand on this thought? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing; I'm just wondering what you've seen from a true freshman in such limited action to be so sure he will be a big liability in four years.

I'm extremely glad that my college football fate wasn't determined after the 4th game of my freshman year. I might have had to pay a lot more to finish school.

And I guess to some of you Craig Dahl was just a white QB from Mankato. He turned out to be pretty good I guess... albeit at a different position.

I don't understand why people get all offended when someone states that, on average, white athletes are much slower than black athletes. For evidence, see the annual results of the NFL combine 40, the top finishers in the sprint events in every Olympics and World Championships, the race of the overwhelming majority of skill position players in college and the NFL, etc., etc. I'm sorry if the truth hurts, but get over it.

I'm sorry, but HAHAHAHAHA. Maybe in a Ferrari or with a jet engine strapped to him. But not with his own two feet.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid - be busted his ass and tried to get better.

It was a JK Lol. Got you sucker

I don't understand why people get all offended when someone states that, on average, white athletes are much slower than black athletes. For evidence, see the annual results of the NFL combine 40, the top finishers in the sprint events in every Olympics and World Championships, the race of the overwhelming majority of skill position players in college and the NFL, etc., etc. I'm sorry if the truth hurts, but get over it.

I understand where you are coming from. You are right that the numbers are skewed heavily in one direction, but to say that an athlete can't be fast because of their race or place of birth is beyond idiotic.

/rant

A White Man hasn't...

...started at Cornerback in the NFL since 1992.

Jason Sehorn started at CB for the NYG as recently as 2002.

There may be others we're forgetting.

You guys would honestly just throw Shortell out? From what I've seen so far, he looks like he has the potential to be one of the top QBs in the Big Ten. If he were actually given full games to get used to being a college starting quarterback, he could be great.

"Get over" a racist statement, just because it was pointed at a white person? Any time you seperate people based on the color of their skin, you ARE a racist prick. These athletes are a product of their environment, which explains why, in general, there are more athletes from the south at skill positions.

"Get over" a racist statement, just because it was pointed at a white person? Any time you seperate people based on the color of their skin, you ARE a racist prick. These athletes are a product of their environment, which explains why, in general, there are more athletes from the south at skill positions.

That's not true, there are differences in race and it isn't racist to talk about them respectfully. It's all about fast twitch muscle fiber. I think it especially isn't racism if you are pointing out when a different race is better than yours at something.

That's not true, there are differences in race and it isn't racist to talk about them respectfully. It's all about fast twitch muscle fiber. I think it especially isn't racism if you are pointing out when a different race is better than yours at something.

So now you're going to tell me there's physical proof that the human race has different fast twitch fiber's based on the color of their skin, really? I hope you're being sarcastic? So, it's a compliment if I tell an Asian they must be really good at math?

I'm extremely glad that my college football fate wasn't determined after the 4th game of my freshman year. I might have had to pay a lot more to finish school.
You dont have to agree with me but here is my analysis of Shortell.

1) decisive with the ball -that's good
2) immobile
3) not good at reading coverage, especially once defenses have adjusted to a new QB and the coverages are designed to stop his arm
4) inaccurate with the football

He might be okay. But if he is only okay the gophers are gonna peak at a little over .500 the next four years.

If kill goes 3-9, 5-7, 6-6, 7-5 and then is going to have to rebuild after losing a four year starting QB I don't think he'll maintain employment. And I simply don't think Shortell is good enough to lead a team to more than mediocrity.

Top Bottom