Philip Nelson Is Leaving The Gopher Program UPDATED 1/29: Transferring to Rutgers

This board has a weird habit of writing off underclassmen.

Sounds like you might be writing off Mitch, an underclassmen, as well.

This wasn't a good thing, but losing a guy who was far from being a lock to start next season (based on performance) isn't the end of the world. People act like the four game winning streak was all based on Nelson's performances. I tend to think that the defense and running game had more to do with that overall.

QB play has been poor for too long. I just didn't see any reason to think Nelson was going to make that a thing of the past.

This wasn't a good thing, but losing a guy who was far from being a lock to start next season (based on performance) isn't the end of the world. People act like the four game winning streak was all based on Nelson's performances. I tend to think that the defense and running game had more to do with that overall.

QB play has been poor for too long. I just didn't see any reason to think Nelson was going to make that a thing of the past.

Yep. Never thought I'd be saying this, but QB play has me pining for the days of Cupito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Message boards are weird. Those most vocal tend to take extremes. Here are the two extremes:

1. This is terrible news. We'll be lucky to win 5 games next year. The sand foundation is starting to crumble. What will recruits think?

2. He wasn't that good. Next man up. It's probably for the better.

As with most things in life, the truth lies somewhere in the middle, and there is more to the story than what we know.

My opinion:

Nelson was a solid starter. Lots of games and experience under his belt. Was probably the favorite, but also left the fans and coaches frustrated at times. God only knows who next year's starter would have been. Total speculation alert: There was something else to this. He didn't like what he was hearing from the coaches about his starting position, or he didn't like something on campus, etc, etc. In any event, he wasn't comfortable with his situation and made a choice. I really doubt that the choice was made for him.

It would've been a 6 win season with Nelson at the helm next year. Wish the kid the best at Mankato State. Lets move on boys and girls.

Even if true, I think you are missing the point. My main concern is if it affects Rag now, or more likely Jones, or even more likely Holland's decision. Look big picture man.

Considering your track record of predictions, we'll take this with a grain of salt, k?

Oct. 9

Rosemountian said:
When this team finishes 1-7 or 0-8 in the conference and there are 25-30k butts in seats for the penn state game....

Exposed.

Kill and staff uses their QB's as glorified running backs. The one thing that I saw that separated Nelson and Leidner, was that Leidner was the better runner of the two. He is pretty shifty, but he is also big enough to break tackles and run over a d-back if necessary. The offensive system that we run favors Leidner. Personally, I would prefer to see a more even balance between rushing and passing......but that is not currently the case. I don't blame Nelson for requesting a transfer. It sucks.....because I think that he has a ton of potential.......but maybe this isn't the system that will best foster that potential.

Look at where the leaders on the 2013 team were early in their careers. . .
-Hageman - Didn't see much PT and was passed on the depth chart by Botticelli as a RS-SO.
-Aaron Hill - A walk-on LBer who most people didn't see as a potential leader for us.
-Brock Vareen - He was ripped apart on this board for getting beat (especially in the NMSU game).
-David Cobb - Buried on the depth chart.

My point is that there are a ton of really talented guys who aren't amazing after their second season in a program.
Moses Alipate, Matt Garin, Kenny Watkins, Victor Keise, Kendall Gregory-McGhee. It totally goes both ways.

Sometimes young players improve. Sometimes they don't. It's no more silly to assume that Philip wasn't going to figure out than it is to assume that he was.

Besides, I don't think anyone is saying they wanted him to transfer, but I don't think Nelson was the favorite to be our QB next year (and if he was, he shouldn't have been), so I'm not going to lose much sleep over a backup QB who could only complete half of his passes.

Moses Alipate, Matt Garin, Kenny Watkins, Victor Keise, Kendall Gregory-McGhee. It totally goes both ways.

Sometimes young players improve. Sometimes they don't. It's no more silly to assume that Philip wasn't going to figure out than it is to assume that he was.

Besides, I don't think anyone is saying they wanted him to transfer, but I don't think Nelson was the favorite to be our QB next year (and if he was, he shouldn't have been), so I'm not going to lose much sleep over a backup QB who could only complete half of his passes.

Phil Nelson was a 1.5 year starter, he started more games than those 5 guys combined. It's different if a guy transfers because he is buried in the depth chart.

I never made an assumption that Nelson was going to get much better. My take has always been "we'll see". So yeah, I agree the people writing him off are dumb and the people assuming he is going to automatically be really good are dumb. I'm in neither camp.

I never said anyone WANTED him to transfer. People downplayed it as "not a big deal" after the fact. I have no idea why you would make this argument, it has nothing to do with my entire post. I thought it was wide open on who would be our starting QB next season and I would be making this exact same argument if Leidner had decided to transfer.

you are usually right

Incorrect on both counts. Big Ten intraconference transfers can be on scholarship, but lose a year of eligibility. See Brian Bobek for an example of both counts. Bobek will probably get back the year he lost via a medical waiver.

but I thought Bobek paid his own way the first semester with the promise of a scholarship?
I'm too lazy to look it up but that's how I remember it.

What makes you say that? I've never even hinted that I was writing off Mitch Leidner. Why would I have to think that Leidner stinks in order to think it's silly to write off Nelson. Get this, I think Cobb is good and going to be our starter, but I'm not writing off Rod Williams either. (GASP).

Now, everyone can point to Nelson's awful games and it's completely valid. But his play was a huge part of our success during our 4 game winning streak.

During those games Nelson was:
46/73 - 63% - 187 yards per game - 7 TD / 0 INT

He might not have been the QB of the future, but he was REALLY good during the 4 game winning streak.

but I thought Bobek paid his own way the first semester with the promise of a scholarship?
I'm too lazy to look it up but that's how I remember it.

You are correct. Bobek had to pay his own way the first semester because they didn't have space under the 85-scholarship restriction, not because they couldn't or didn't want to extend him a scholarship. They gave him a scholarship as soon as one was available, which was always the plan.

What makes you say that? I've never even hinted that I was writing off Mitch Leidner. Why would I have to think that Leidner stinks in order to think it's silly to write off Nelson. Get this, I think Cobb is good and going to be our starter, but I'm not writing off Rod Williams either. (GASP).

Now, everyone can point to Nelson's awful games and it's completely valid. But his play was a huge part of our success during our 4 game winning streak.

During those games Nelson was:
46/73 - 63% - 187 yards per game - 7 TD / 0 INT

He might not have been the QB of the future, but he was REALLY good during the 4 game winning streak.

Lumping the four together and averaging them out is pretty deceptive but can see why you'd want to do it. It wouldn't be to tough to look at that streak and believe Nelson if he's saying he just won't get a chance to throw a whole lot at Minnesota. While they rest of the season showed why people thought he shouldn't get the chance.

We've talked about it before but he had a great day against Indiana, 16 for 23 for 298 yards and 4 TDs, but so did nearly every other QB that played them. He had a good day against Penn State, going 15 for 24 for a 186 yards and a TD. The other two games? He went 8 for 11 for 112 yards and a TD against NW and 7 for 15 for 152 and a TD against NE.

That notable streak of wins included completions of in order, 7, 15, 8 and 16 Passes. He also never threw for more that 24 times in any of those games.

Look at where the leaders on the 2013 team were early in their careers. . .
-Hageman - Didn't see much PT and was passed on the depth chart by Botticelli as a RS-SO.
-Aaron Hill - A walk-on LBer who most people didn't see as a potential leader for us.
-Brock Vareen - He was ripped apart on this board for getting beat (especially in the NMSU game).
-David Cobb - Buried on the depth chart.

My point is that there are a ton of really talented guys who aren't amazing after their second season in a program. To write off Phil Nelson's projected contributions as "meh, he threw for only 50 anyway" is silly. That entire recruiting class is a problem now. . .Phil, Harbison and McDonald are all gone. Attrition killed Brews classes here and it's starting to put a damper on that class as well.

This x1000. It sucks to lose Nelson for myriad of reasons. Even if someone is in the camp that Leidner was going to be the QB of the future, it still hurts the team because Nelson would have at least been an experienced back-up. Now, a Streveler position switch is unlikely and McKinzy might not get a redshirt year.

Lumping the four together and averaging them out is pretty deceptive but can see why you'd want to do it. It wouldn't be to tough to look at that streak and believe Nelson if he's saying he just won't get a chance to throw a whole lot at Minnesota. While they rest of the season showed why people thought he shouldn't get the chance.

We've talked about it before but he had a great day against Indiana, 16 for 23 for 298 yards and 4 TDs, but so did nearly every other QB that played them. He had a good day against Penn State, going 15 for 24 for a 186 yards and a TD. The other two games? He went 8 for 11 for 112 yards and a TD against NW and 7 for 15 for 152 and a TD against NE.

That notable streak of wins included completions of in order, 7, 15, 8 and 16 Passes. He also never threw for more that 24 times in any of those games.

Who did Mitch have a great game against? I'll hang up and listen...

If Nelson couldn't cut it in the big ten, he will have a hellova time in the SEC with Nick Saban and Les Miles' defenses every year

Terrible take. The players you listed never saw the field. Nelson started what, 15 or 16 games as an underclassmen. Other than for conduct detrimental to the team, I don't ever want to lose a player that has so much experince.

Who did Mitch have a great game against? I'll hang up and listen...

Make a point first, unless you're saying that Nelson has no business thinking that he can have a better chance elsewhere or he's lying about why he left.

VS. Michigan at the Big House Leidner was very good.

We lost 42-13, though.

I like Nelson and wish he would've stayed. I wonder if he doesn't want to run so much after getting a concussion against Michigan State.

I also like Leidner.

Interesting. I didn't know Bielema recruited Nelson.

Based upon his first year at Arkansas, he was as unsuccessful in the SEC as Brewster was unsuccessful in the Big Ten in his first season...WINLESS. Both put together 0-8 Conference records. He is a coach who needs to put something better on the field than he did his first season. He was aware of Nelson since Nelson spent many of his formative years in Madison, WI and Nelson's dad was a former Wisconsin Badger player. And, any kid who led a building team without a great supporting cast of players to four Conference wins in a major conference in his second season probably would be worth a good look as Bielema attempts to upgrade and build depth at key positions. Experience...AND...the ability to learn offensive systems and manage a game are highly valued characteristics to a coach who went 0-8 in a major conference and needs to make a bowl appearance much sooner, rather than later to keep the rabid razorback fans out of his face and off of his back might be VERY interested in picking up an experienced quarterback to bring depth to his squad. And, typically, Arkansas has an ability to come up with some playmaking running backs and wide receivers.

Nelson would have a Red-shirt year to learn the system and get some practice time and then two years to compete. He sure seems like a better bet than the typical Junior College transfer quarterback transfer that some coaches look for to provide a quick fix and/or depth.

I doubt Bielema offered Nelson a scholarship at wisky...but...I'll bet he was aware of him and may have even whispered that "preferred walk-on" kind of deal that head coaches love to throw out there to kids they are kind of interested in.

Arkansas just might be a good fit for a kid who has a red-shirt year to use and then two remaining years to play as a major contributor OR as a depth-builder on a former SEC power that is attempting to rise from it's own ashes...and a coach who VERY quickly might find himself in a pressure-cooker of a situation with the fan base and administration at Arkansas. They do like their football down there. I saw a hell of a lot of those razorback fans down in Nashville when the Gophers handled them down there...must have been 25,000 to 30,000 of them around the town for that bowl game.

Really, we got our asses kicked and Michigan was down this year. So, I would NOT say he was VERY good at all.

That wasn't the point Galt was trying to make. He was trying to say that Nelson should have looked at his performances against Indy and Penn State and decided that he had a good chance convincing Kill/Limegrover to go to a "Throw first and second" Offense rather than try to go find a program that already is doing that.

Because only a "bleep" would respond with "what about Leidner?"

Guys, it's a done deal.

Here are the senior highlights of Chris Streveler and Dimonic McKinzy.

Streveler has a little bit of Jeff Jones in him. Check out the 1:25 section. Although the competition looks suspect on some of those teams. Some of the DBs literally look like eight grade girls or possibly munchkins (2:50). His arm appears to have plenty of zip although he clearly wants to run at first opportunity. That will have to be beat out of him.

McKinzy seems to have a nice touch on his ball when he needs it.

I think the future is bright between our 3 qbs. I am very optimistic we will be a better offensive team next year and don't understand the doom and gloom either.

Streveler http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1568453/highlights/33429396

McKinzy http://www.hudl.com/athlete/114109/dimonic-mckinzy

Arkansas went 0-8 in 2013. They need to build depth in the worst way. And, typically, they can usually come up with some pretty damn effective and explosive wide-outs and running backs. I think you underestimate Mr. Nelson's potential if he has a supporting cast of skill players surrounding him and if he isn't one of the featured running backs as his primary function and quarterback/game manager as his secondary function on the football field. Put a cast of playmakers around a game manager and the results are sometimes pretty surprising.

But, Bielema needs to build depth on that team FAST. Experience can be a pretty important thing. And, taking a kid who won 4 Big Ten games the previous season is a more certain indication that there might be possibilities than some kid who ripped up a junior college schedule at the quarterback position.

Who knows...and rumors are ONLY rumors...

Somebody is going to land a kid with some experience and a lot of potential to add depth and maybe even take it WAY beyond that. Kill's style and system and the many areas of the Gopher Program that are growing, being developed, gaining experience and looking for playmakers and depth at virturtually all positions at the moment just might be somewhat similar to what is going on at Arkansas right at the moment. Maybe a quarterback with some major conference experience just MIGHT be something Arkansas might consider to be a POTENTIAL positive addition for depth and/or to make greater contributions in managing their explosive skill players in the future.

Right now all too many GopherHole posters are doing the typical pouty mouth sour grapes routine with what they have to say about a young man who has decided to move along to a different situation for what ever reasons. I've seen all too many GopherHole posters do that number entirely too many times. I won't be at all surprised to see the young man have a hand in contributing to a college program somewhere before he graduates. I greatly appreciated what he did this past season for the Gophers. I do wish him well.

College football IS just a damn game, you know. Pouty mouthed sour grape fans can be a real pain. Life is much too short to get caught up in that crap...

Hey Wren,

diUfX.gif

Arkansas went 0-8 in 2013. They need to build depth in the worst way. And, typically, they can usually come up with some pretty damn effective and explosive wide-outs and running backs. I think you underestimate Mr. Nelson's potential if he has a supporting cast of skill players surrounding him and if he isn't one of the featured running backs as his primary function and quarterback/game manager as his secondary function on the football field. Put a cast of playmakers around a game manager and the results are sometimes pretty surprising.

But, Bielema needs to build depth on that team FAST. Experience can be a pretty important thing. And, taking a kid who won 4 Big Ten games the previous season is a more certain indication that there might be possibilities than some kid who ripped up a junior college schedule at the quarterback position.

Who knows...and rumors are ONLY rumors...

Somebody is going to land a kid with some experience and a lot of potential to add depth and maybe even take it WAY beyond that. Kill's style and system and the many areas of the Gopher Program that are growing, being developed, gaining experience and looking for playmakers and depth at virturtually all positions at the moment just might be somewhat similar to what is going on at Arkansas right at the moment. Maybe a quarterback with some major conference experience just MIGHT be something Arkansas might consider to be a POTENTIAL positive addition for depth and/or to make greater contributions in managing their explosive skill players in the future.

Right now all too many GopherHole posters are doing the typical pouty mouth sour grapes routine with what they have to say about a young man who has decided to move along to a different situation for what ever reasons. I've seen all too many GopherHole posters do that number entirely too many times. I won't be at all surprised to see the young man have a hand in contributing to a college program somewhere before he graduates. I greatly appreciated what he did this past season for the Gophers. I do wish him well.

College football IS just a damn game, you know. Pouty mouthed sour grape fans can be a real pain. Life is much too short to get caught up in that crap...

wee-bey-gif.gif

I have not heard that name mentioned even once and I keep a pretty good eye on recruiting.
I don't see it happening because we have a 4 star qb coming in this year and another 4 star coming in next year.
There are also three or four on campus now.

So, when you stated in the original post "...but the rumor IS out there...", you admit that this rumor that is "out there" is completely made up, and exists only in your mind, right?

Are you totally wacked out unregistered user? Hell NO, blah,blah.blah boy. I've heard some people throwing that possibility around.

Now, go away and play somewhere else. Get outta my yard or I'll call the Cops!

Top Bottom