Phil Steele All-Big Offense: Gophs with 5. Best in West, 3rd in Big

swingman

Reaction score
Phil Steele puts 5 Gophers on his All-Big preseason offense (he goes with first through fourth teams), which is best in the West and 3rd in Big.

JMS 1st team center, Mo 2nd team RB, Wright 3rd team WR, Filiaga 3rd team G, Potts 4th team RB.

MI with 8, PSU with 6, OSU and MN with 5, MD, NW, IL, PU with 4, WI with 3, IA and MSU with 2, RU with 1 (Dunlap?), NE and IU zero.

Nice if we see post-season BSF be a top 4 TE. Maybe see CAB in top 12 WRs. Mix in another OL in top 20? Morgan returns to 2nd team All-Big like 2019?

Some really nice returning talent and Kirk C returns as OC.

Could be a fun offense to watch. Need Ersery to be the talent Fleck says he is. Need the ND transfer Carroll or Guedet to step up at the other tackle. Veteran Axel will surprise. Jackson and MBS ready to take next step.

I think the offense will be better but I think people will be disappointed when it is stylistically as conservative as last year

all comes down to the OL.

and here's a thought: if the OL is not as strong of a run-blocking group as in past years, the Gophers could wind up throwing more often based on necessity.

I could see a lot of 3-step-drop, slant and quick in or out type of patterns to move the ball and to protect Morgan.

I think the offense will be better but I think people will be disappointed when it is stylistically as conservative as last year
So Fleck fired Sanford, brought back KC, and talked about offensive failures last year and need to open up passing game .... all with intent to keep it the same?

So Fleck fired Sanford, brought back KC, and talked about offensive failures last year and need to open up passing game .... all with intent to keep it the same?
Nope. It’s going to go back to 2017-19

Which was,

Conservative as hell

Steele computer projection likes the returning production at qb, rb, wr, te. Mn rb unit ranks #4 in nation.

he has two of our five olinemen in his top 15 big olinemen...

computer has offense going from 25 to 33 ppg!

Last edited:

If they get early leads and going conservative means W's, I'm good. I actually think the offense will be more 2019 than 2021.

Which was,

Conservative as hell
In 2017 Fleck had no QB. In 2018 he had Zach and Tanner, both rookies. In 2019 he had one of the best passing attacks in the nation. I wouldn't call that offense "conservative as hell".

Yes, Fleck always wants his signature to be a dominant running game. Most football coaches do. But when you mix it with a good passing game to keep the defense off balance, that is not conservative.

There are a few names that were not mentioned in this Gophers team. It will take a couple of games to get the 2022 edition team to kick on all cylinders.

JMS 1st team center, Mo 2nd team RB, Wright 3rd team WR, Filiaga 3rd team G, Potts 4th team RB.
Maybe see CAB in top 12 WRs
Wait… yeah where’s CAB on this list? I’d love if Wright comes out and dominates but he’s our clear #2. I’m sure it’s the injuries they’re thinking about, but this makes no sense to me.

In 2017 Fleck had no QB. In 2018 he had Zach and Tanner, both rookies. In 2019 he had one of the best passing attacks in the nation. I wouldn't call that offense "conservative as hell".

Yes, Fleck always wants his signature to be a dominant running game. Most football coaches do. But when you mix it with a good passing game to keep the defense off balance, that is not conservative.
In 2019 the gophers were 89th in the country in passing attempts.
Out of 130

If they get early leads and going conservative means W's, I'm good. I actually think the offense will be more 2019 than 2021.
They’re closer to being the same than they are different

I don’t care if they are conservative again. You can be conservative without having debacles like the BG and Illinois games. You can still have an effective pass game while being conservative.

Effectiveness =\= aggressiveness
Since you didn't answer the question, maybe you can take a run at this one: Do you really believe pass ATTEMPTS is the best measure of a non-conservative offense? Of the 88 teams that threw more passes in 2019 than the Gophers, how many were losing teams trailing and throwing the ball desperately trying to catch up?

A balanced offense that passes effectively to open the run game is not conservative. The number of attempts is meaningless.

Since you didn't answer the question, maybe you can take a run at this one: Do you really believe pass ATTEMPTS is the best measure of a non-conservative offense? Of the 88 teams that threw more passes in 2019 than the Gophers, how many were losing teams trailing and throwing the ball desperately trying to catch up?

A balanced offense that passes effectively to open the run game is not conservative. The number of attempts is meaningless.
If you think the offense was anything but conservative 2017-2019 you don’t know anything about football

It’s fine if you want to argue they weren’t conservative. You can continue to think that

If you think the offense was anything but conservative 2017-2019 you don’t know anything about football

It’s fine if you want to argue they weren’t conservative. You can continue to think that
I know plenty about football and enough about morons to quit the debate with one. Carry on.

Which was,

Conservative as hell
The run first isn't changing.

The run only hopefully is.

We're not going to an air raid, but I'll take the 2019 offense any day

Wait… yeah where’s CAB on this list? I’d love if Wright comes out and dominates but he’s our clear #2. I’m sure it’s the injuries they’re thinking about, but this makes no sense to me.
We all love Wright's potential, but I don't think you can even call him the clear #2.

MBS had a nice spring and Jackson has some nice skills and quite a bit of experience now.

And, I still think PJ and Kirk may find a way yet to get good use out of BSF.

We all love Wright's potential, but I don't think you can even call him the clear #2.

MBS had a nice spring and Jackson has some nice skills and quite a bit of experience now.

And, I still think PJ and Kirk may find a way yet to get good use out of BSF.
Hah, exactly! He’s definitely had some moments, but then disappeared for weeks.

Top Bottom