Phil Steele All-Big Offense: Gophs with 5. Best in West, 3rd in Big

Wait… yeah where’s CAB on this list? I’d love if Wright comes out and dominates but he’s our clear #2. I’m sure it’s the injuries they’re thinking about, but this makes no sense to me.
From Shama: Gophers drawing recognition from Lindy’s include wide receiver Chris Autman-Bell and tight end Brevyn-Spann Ford, both named third team All-Big Ten.

Wait… yeah where’s CAB on this list? I’d love if Wright comes out and dominates but he’s our clear #2. I’m sure it’s the injuries they’re thinking about, but this makes no sense to me.

I agree that as of now....CAB is our number 1 receiver. But Wright has the monster potential of an All-Big Ten guy. Flashed a bit of it last year.....but clearly he was behind having just transferred in. Now with a full year under his belt.....he could make a huge jump.

Nope. It’s going to go back to 2017-19

Which was,

Conservative as hell
2018 and 2018 were not conservative as hell—unless you think Purdue’s offense is balanced. 2017 was conservative, but we started a walk-on QB. 2018 and 2019 were much more wide open than 2020 and 2021. We ran for 2323 yards in 2019 and 2575 yards in 2021. We passed for 3293 yards in 2019 but only 2106 in 2021.

In 2021 we had one receiver in the B1G top 25: CAB ranked 17th with 36 catches for 506 yards and 6 TDs. In 2019 Tyler J and Bateman ranked 1st and 2nd in the B1G with, respectively, (1) 86 catches for 1,318 and 13 TDs; and (2) 60 catches for 1219 yards and 11 TDs. I’d love to return to the 2019 version of “conservative.”

Last edited:

2018 and 2018 were not conservative as hell—unless you think Purdue’s offense is balanced. 2017 was conservative, but we started a walk-on QB. 2018 and 2019 were much more wide open than 2020 and 2021. We ran for 2323 yards in 2019 and 2575 yards in 2021. We passed for 3293 yards in 2019 but only 2106 in 2021.

In 2021 we had one receiver in the B1G top 25: CAB ranked 17th with 36 catches for 506 yards and 6 TDs. In 2019 Tyler J and Bateman ranked 1st and 2nd in the B1G with, respectively, (1) 86 catches for 1,318 and 13 TDs; and (2) 60 catches for 1219 yards and 11 TDs. I’d love to return to the 2019 version of “conservative.”
2019 wide open offense was 89th in pass attempts per game of 130 fbs teams

Are you incapable of learning? It has been explained to you that pass attempts is a meaningless measure. Many of the teams "ahead" of the
Gophers in 2019 pass attempts were bad teams playing from behind. Of course they need to throw.

Are you incapable of learning? It has been explained to you that pass attempts is a meaningless measure. Many of the teams "ahead" of the
Gophers in 2019 pass attempts were bad teams playing from behind. Of course they need to throw.
Conservative doesn’t mean bad

Conservative doesn’t mean bad
Then define what you mean by conservative offense and why you think a balanced attack like we had in 2019 is conservative. Don't keep trotting out meaningless stats about pass attempts. That would be meaningful for Navy, not a Gopher team that passed for 3,200 yards and 30 TDs.

I agree that as of now....CAB is our number 1 receiver. But Wright has the monster potential of an All-Big Ten guy. Flashed a bit of it last year.....but clearly he was behind having just transferred in. Now with a full year under his belt.....he could make a huge jump.
Seeing what he did against Ohio State (I will never say the), given the throws, he could be an All American.

That's because many teams throw all kinds of dink passes for completions of one or two yards (or losses). Here's why I think the Gophers were aggressive in passing in 2019: they threw downfield almost exclusively, often for big plays. In 2019, the Gophers led the B1G in yards per completion at 10.2; Ohio State came in second at 9.1 yards. More to your point, in 2019 the Gophers average per catch (10.2 yards) was the 4th highest in the NATION for teams achieving over 2000 yards in passing. The only teams with over 2000 yards passing and higher averages per completion were Alabama, Oklahoma and LSU. Our passing game was very aggressive in 2019--we threw downfield for big gains.

I don’t really understand how a highlight film disagrees with what I said

I could show you a highlight film of any offense in the history of football
That's because many teams throw all kinds of dink passes for completions of one or two yards (or losses). Here's why I think the Gophers were aggressive in passing in 2019: they threw downfield almost exclusively, often for big plays. In 2019, the Gophers led the B1G in yards per completion at 10.2; Ohio State came in second at 9.1 yards. More to your point, in 2019 the Gophers average per catch (10.2 yards) was the 4th highest in the NATION for teams achieving over 2000 yards in passing. The only teams with over 2000 yards passing and higher averages per completion were Alabama, Oklahoma and LSU. Our passing game was very aggressive in 2019--we threw downfield for big gains.
Finally, some numbers that really have meaning. Case closed. Fleck offense in 2019 was not conservative.

I don’t really understand how a highlight film disagrees with what I said

I could show you a highlight film of any offense in the history of football
Good grief. Plenty of "attacking" in those clips.

Finally, some numbers that really have meaning. Case closed. Fleck offense in 2019 was not conservative.
To be fair, we still did run more often than pass in 2019. We ain't Purdue. Fleck appears to use the run to set up the pass, though we have opened some games with a heavy passing element to shake up a stop-the-run-oriented defense. The only way we could be more "aggressive" in 2021 than in 2019 would be to (1) keep the heavy WR "downfield" element intact but (2) transfer a few running plays (20-30 in the season) to downfield passes to a TE like BSF or a RB swinging out of the backfield. {Actually, the Gophers could easily find another 20-30 plays in the season (meaning no transfer from running plays) simply by not bleeding the play clock down to zero on every play.}
Give defenses another facet of offense to worry about--and another chance to make a defensive blunder. To do this, our OL must pass block well. In order to pass downfield (plays that take a while to develop), we have often gone to heavy protection--TEs staying in to help block contain aggressive edge rushers. We'll see how it develops this year--based on both strategy and talent--but I trust KC to push for an aggressive, multi-faceted, difficult to predict offense that puts constant pressure on weak spots in opposing defenses. We won't be running the service academy model this year.

To be fair, we still did run more often than pass in 2019. We ain't Purdue. Fleck appears to use the run to set up the pass, though we have opened some games with a heavy passing element to shake up a stop-the-run-oriented defense. The only way we could be more "aggressive" in 2021 than in 2019 would be to (1) keep the heavy WR "downfield" element intact but (2) transfer a few running plays (20-30 in the season) to downfield passes to a TE like BSF or a RB swinging out of the backfield. {Actually, the Gophers could easily find another 20-30 plays in the season (meaning no transfer from running plays) simply by not bleeding the play clock down to zero on every play.}
Give defenses another facet of offense to worry about--and another chance to make a defensive blunder. To do this, our OL must pass block well. In order to pass downfield (plays that take a while to develop), we have often gone to heavy protection--TEs staying in to help block contain aggressive edge rushers. We'll see how it develops this year--based on both strategy and talent--but I trust KC to push for an aggressive, multi-faceted, difficult to predict offense that puts constant pressure on weak spots in opposing defenses. We won't be running the service academy model this year.
Fleck, like almost every college coach, wants a strong running game to force the defense in tight. That perfectly sets up the air game. Mike Sanford is one of the few coaches who does not understand that. It is not about how often you pass, but when you pass to take advantage of defense.

Good grief. Plenty of "attacking" in those clips.
Yeah. You clearly didn’t read what you just responded to

Every coach in the country would call the 2019 offensive conservative. I’m not sure why you are so offended by that

Every coach in the country would call the 2019 offensive conservative

It’s not offensive to say. Not sure why you take it so personal

Every coach in the country would call the 2019 offensive conservative

It’s not offensive to say. Not sure why you take it so personal
Nothing offensive in the comment. Just blindingly dumb.

Top Bottom