Phil Steele All-Big Offense: Gophs with 5. Best in West, 3rd in Big

Yeah. You clearly didn’t read what you just responded to

Every coach in the country would call the 2019 offensive conservative. I’m not sure why you are so offended by that
Oh, I read it. Too funny you think I'm offended. Per my other response to you...how are you measuring that? What teams can you give as examples of as "Always ready to attack"?

Every coach in the country would call the 2019 offensive conservative

It’s not offensive to say. Not sure why you take it so personal
Could you define a conservative vs aggressive offense? Run/pass ratio? Big plays? Deep throws? What are the criteria you are using for your definition?

Could you define a conservative vs aggressive offense? Run/pass ratio? Big plays? Deep throws? What are the criteria you are using for your definition?
I already defined it

Always attacking

I don't think any teams are always attacking.

Do you think Minnesota was closer to aggressive or conservative in 2019?

Let me put it this way, no team who sends in the play late to intentionally snap the ball with less than 5 on the play clock in the first quarter can ever be considered anything other than conservative

I just think it’s funny how people deny that a clearly conservative offense was conservative just because they falsely think calling an offense conservative is some sort of an insult when it isn’t

2019 was far from a conservative offense. I can’t believe anyone who watched that season would think so. Weren’t Johnson and Bateman BOTH first team all conference? How is it possible to have the two best recognized receivers in the league and still be considered conservative? That makes zero sense.

Last edited:

Do you think Minnesota was closer to aggressive or conservative in 2019?

Let me put it this way, no team who sends in the play late to intentionally snap the ball with less than 5 on the play clock in the first quarter can ever be considered anything other than conservative

I just think it’s funny how people deny that a clearly conservative offense was conservative just because they falsely think calling an offense conservative is some sort of an insult when it isn’t
Just answer the questions people are asking ... We might find out we actually agree. You just keep replying that you are right and everyone else is wrong.

They run the RPO so they're always ready to attack based on what the defense is showing.

I think this is a lot of semantics.

The Gophers overall approach may be "conservative" in that they want to control the ball and win time of possession.

But - within that overall approach, there can be differences.

2019: gophs avg 24.8 pass att & 253 yds/gm; 43.1 rush att & 179 yds/gm. 67.9 plays - 432 yds/gm
2 receivers were over 1,000 yards for season

2021: gophs avg 19.8 pass att & 162 yds/gm; 45.8 rush att & 199 yds/gm. 65.6 plays - 361 yds/gm
leading receiver 506 yards.

6.4 yds per play in 2019 / 5.5 yds per play in 2021.

same head coach - same overall philosophy - but more passing att and more down-field passes.
may not have been the run-and-shoot, but effective.

Top Bottom