Phil Miller blog: Coordinators on way to Minnesota?

Walking of fine line here. You are not happy with the Kill hire, and now are attacking the coordinators with random assumptions. You seem pretty smart to see the hypocrisy of this post.
I think it's a fair point to question him not even considering a broader pool now that he has a much larger budget available to him. Friends are important and continuity is great to a point, but if you have additional resources you should at least consider leveraging them.

Well it's admittedly an assumption on my part, but why would they stick around at the lower rungs if they've had better offers? Loyalty only goes so far with how competitive coaches are.

I guess this means that this Norm Parker guy must suck too. I'll make sure the folks that gave him the Frank Broyles award in '04 and '05 are aware the Khaliq feels loyalty or lacking the need to be a head coach automatically equate to suckitude. This is how silly I think your argument is. I'm using Iowa coaches to prove a point.

I guess this means that this Norm Parker guy must suck too. I'll make sure the folks that gave him the Frank Broyles award in '04 and '05 are aware the Khaliq feels loyalty or lacking the need to be a head coach automatically equate to suckitude. This is how silly I think your argument is. I'm using Iowa coaches to prove a point.
No it doesn't automatically mean anyone brought up from the lower ranks is terrible. Please don't use that straw man. All I'm saying is that was a very quick decision to not even interview or consider other candidates.

I think it's a fair point to question him not even considering a broader pool now that he has a much larger budget available to him. Friends are important and continuity is great to a point, but if you have additional resources you should at least consider leveraging them.

And you know that he never considered leveraging them how? Face it, your whole argument is one big line of assumptions that have the benefit of proving your point. There is nothing factual to support it.

See, I know that I have no way to prove why the coordinators are still with him. I suspect its loyalty. But it could be b/c no one wants to hire them. In the end, the reasons don't matter to me b/c I don't have a problem with Kill running the show his way.

Isn't it true that he intentionally hires those they will stay with him, so he can create continuity on his staff? That was one of his pillars that he stated has helped him get where he is today. Maybe I misunderstood his comments, or did you not really digest those?

No it doesn't automatically mean anyone brought up from the lower ranks is terrible. Please don't use that straw man. All I'm saying is that was a very quick decision to not even interview or consider other candidates.

WTF? How the eff do you know he didn't consider anyone else? I don't think he did but NEITHER OF US KNOW! Stop making assumptions and passing them off as facts.

Besides, even if he never considered anyone else that doesn't make it a bad call. Do you have a list of some guys he should be looking at? Or are you just tossing what ifs out there to have a good time?

This is all very silly and you know that. Also your avatar is NWS.

Not silly at all. If we're not going to use words in their appropriate meaning, why even speak? We should communicate via clicks and grunts if we're just going to throw out words randomly with no regard to their meaning. As the immortal Kool-Aid once said, "puple monkey dishwasher".

Also, I'm not sure what my avatar has to do with the National Weather Service.

Staff turnover worked really great under the prior coach, after all.

Also, its kind of an important time for recruiting in case you weren't aware. So I'm sure that played no part in the speed of the decision. Or would you prefer he dawdle for a while? Length of time taken to make a decision does not have an automatic correlation to the quality of the decision.

Y'all are real mad. :|

Actually I'm a helper.

type2M.gif

Look what loyalty could bring them, a job in the big ten. If they were head coaches it wouldn't be at a major program so maybe they were right to be loyal and patient if it leads to a brighter future.

Hasn't Kill has three losing season in 17 years as a head coach? Didn't he lose 1 game in two years at the high school level? I'll trust that he knows what he is doing and that he is doing it better than most others no matter what level it is.

This is a welcome sign knowing the number of OC's and DC's we've had in the last 25 years.

See my post above.

Even had I used the word incorrectly, which I did not, trying to point it out like some kind of gotcha when you understood my intent is petty and childish.

I think Dpol68 has covered my point of view very well.

And your intent was of course to negatively reflect on our new coach. Each person has a right to an opinion and you're opinion is, at best, uninformed because you imply he was bringing them along solely because they are friends of his.

If Mr. Kill has employees who, in his judgement, have excelled at every level, it would be naturally to want to bring them with him. He has a successful coaching team and he wants to keep it together. And at each change of jobs, he has the opportunity to dump those who do not meet his standards.

I think there's a good chance Kill might keep someone from the current staff and maybe even two. Horton sounds like he wants to stay, but my only concern is he may, as the former interim head coach, create rift between the players and the new coaches. But that all depends on him buying into Kill, which I think it is given. My gut tells me Horton wants to be Gray's QB coach and would prefer to remain a college coach. I really doubt after what Kill's rb coach has done, he'll opt for Hammock, even though he's a lights out recruiter. Maybe Butler or Watson would be worth keeping. Butler is certainly a great recruiter and the linebackers improved as the season progressed. Watson did a heck of job with McKnight and Gray this year. Even AJ Barker caught a couple critical passes. Does anyone remember how terrible the receivers were last year? I guess we have to wait and see. I will be holding a candlelight vigil outside of Bierman all weekend in case anyeone wants to join me.

Kill will be expanding his staff since he has more resources. Some position coaches at NIU were assigned 2 positions. Now there will be an opportunity to expand his existing staff with good complements from outside his current "sphere of influence"

Any word on the current O-Line coordinator Tim Davis? I have not read anything about Kill's current O-line coach.

I apologize for not referring to Strunk and White's Elements of Style before mindlessly posting this.

According to a MinnesotaRivals tweet players are reporting that both Tim Cross and Derek Lewis are gone.

See my post above.

Even had I used the word incorrectly, which I did not, trying to point it out like some kind of gotcha when you understood my intent is petty and childish.

Don't engage dpdoll, even if you win it's not worth it.

However, I think to everyone's point you are assuming that a long-time staff = they weren't good enough to get offers elsewhere. That's an unfair assumption. I'm certain it has been mentioned that his staff has turned down other jobs to stay with him, though which staff and to where I do not know.

Are you talking about me or dpodoll68?

I'm talking about you (or anyone) engaging dpdoll in a grammar debate. Just because everyone else knows what you're trying to say doesn't matter.

I think it normally would have been perfectly clear. I was just peppered with ground fire in this thread so it made me edge toward the assumption it might be directed at me.

Are you talking about me or dpodoll68?

He's talking about me, which is quite hilarious, since myself (and pretty much every other poster not named Wren, dboy, brew_recruit, or thailleagle) owns him regularly on pretty much any topic under discussion. David likes to think he has good opinions, when he's actually kind of a simpleton.

I have not read anything about Kill's current O-line coach.

Limegrover has been the OL coach as well as OC. There has been a lot of supposition (myself included) that Davis would be easy to keep (if Kill wants him) because of this.

Oh god. We're talking about ownage. This might get dirty.

Top Bottom