Phil Miller blog: Coordinators on way to Minnesota?

Bleed

Time to change your username to Linkmaster.

Thanks again

I would love for him to take every member from his staff that he wants, and augment with a couple of additional talented guys that can help us recruit a little.

I can't tell you how happy I am to have a bunch of guys that have a system that is THEIRS and they know like the back of their hand and can teach fundamentals. Sprinkle in a few solid recruiters and that may be a recipe for success!

AWESOME!

Did any of Brew's staff even know each other before they stepped on campus?

Done comparing Kill to Brew. Letting it go.

AWESOME!

Did any of Brew's staff even know each other before they stepped on campus?

Done comparing Kill to Brew. Letting it go.

This is great news. I said all along that I was just as concerned with who the new coach was bringing with him as I was with WHO they actually hired. What good would any of the bigger names have been if they weren't bringing any significant staff with them?

This guy is coming in with guys he knows and trusts, people with whom he has already been successful. It is impossible to overstate the significance of this.

With an increased budget shouldn't he be looking outside his comfort zone at least a little? This isn't the MAC. There's a broader pool to choose from and nepotism isn't necessarily going to be rewarded.

With an increased budget shouldn't he be looking outside his comfort zone at least a little? This isn't the MAC. There's a broader pool to choose from and nepotism isn't necessarily going to be rewarded.

so you would rather have him bring in coaches he was never worked with before, doesn't know what coaches he could would work with and start in a different direction that he has before when taking another job.

seriously?

why? having the same staff is a real plus. each coordinator knows what Kill wants and needs in a recurit. Kill has talked with most of the current gopher recurits. It is not like the MAC coaches just go after infurior tallent. Mason never really went after the 4-5 star recruits on a regular basis. Winning will take care of that, and I think Kill will win here.

I'm much rather bring in a well-tuned machine than try to assemble a new machine, and hoping that everything fits together.

so you would rather have him bring in coaches he was never worked with before, doesn't know what coaches he could would work and start in a different direction that he has before when taking another job.

seriously?
It's not at all unusual for new head coaches to assemble a staff that consists partially or even heavily of outside staffing. The point is at NIU he had a small budget and had to settle for promoting mostly his FCS staff. I'd feel better about this hire if he used the budget Maturi has given him to go out and get some top coordinators rather than being overly loyal to a couple small timers.

It's not at all unusual for new head coaches to assemble a staff that consists partially or even heavily of outside staffing. The point is at NIU he had a small budget and had to settle for promoting mostly his FCS staff. I'd feel better about this hire if he used the budget Maturi has given him to go out and get some top coordinators rather than being overly loyal to a couple small timers.

First, you're making an assumption that a "top coordinator" would want to come here. 2nd, Kill should be able to do what he wants. If he prefers to have "his guys" then he should get to keep his guys. That said, the money should be given to him to secure the hiring of anyone he wants to bring in. 3rd, the biggest problem on both sides of the ball with Brew and on the D side of the ball with Mason was staff turnover in the coordinator spot. A "top coordinator" with no history with Kill is more likely to bolt then the guys who have shown him loyalty.

to use a phase from Kill, with his staff intact they will all be "rowing in the same direction". All big timers started out as small timers. You make it sound like we are going to have a MIAC staff, this staff has already had 3 years on the D1 level. I am sure he will bring in some outside people, not everyone be want to come to the U and he may get to have a larger staff.

They've been with him for ages and haven't gotten a nibble for a higher job. That doesn't speak well for them.

While I suspect the truth is closer to what you're implying, do you have proof they haven't had nibbles? Or are you just ignoring that they might be loyal enough not to want to go elsewhere?

I didn't realize Kill had any of his family members on his staff.
Nepotism can mean favoring family or friends beyond their merits. I could have used cronyism I guess but that has a much harsher connotation.

This sounds like something you've made up.
Well it's admittedly an assumption on my part, but why would they stick around at the lower rungs if they've had better offers? Loyalty only goes so far with how competitive coaches are.

Well it's admittedly an assumption on my part, but why would they stick around at the lower rungs if they've had better offers? Loyalty only goes so far with how competitive coaches are.

Pretty common personality types including an Eneagram (2) would much rather be a helper then a leader. That among many reasons are why some people never pursue the head honcho job.

I'd bet he brings his whole staff minus Dline(NIU holdover) and QB coach(1st year)
A bigger time recruiting coordinator would be advisable too. These hires will tell us alot as far as whether Kill's coaching contacts are churning and working to help him out in his first BCS job.
The recruits he can bring in later this year and next will be the other clue.

Nepotism can mean favoring family or friends beyond their merits. I could have used cronyism I guess but that has a much harsher connotation.

Actually, according to Webster, nepotism is defined as "favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship". Cronyism would have been the more apt term, though not correct in this case, as it implies lack of qualifications, and all have more than shown their aptitude for the positions.

Actually, according to Webster, nepotism is defined as "favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship". Cronyism would have been the more apt term, though not correct in this case, as it implies lack of qualifications, and all have more than shown their aptitude for the positions.
According to the Oxford English dictionary:

"the favouring of relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs."

So, there's a new definition of nepotism?

This isn't the MAC, but it is football. And it seems to me we lost to him and his "cronies" who seem to know how to coach football at whatever level they've been at.

It doesn't really matter anyway, they are qualified college coaches with a record of success.

So, there's a new definition of nepotism?
See my post above.

Even had I used the word incorrectly, which I did not, trying to point it out like some kind of gotcha when you understood my intent is petty and childish.

According to the Oxford English dictionary:

"the favouring of relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs."

Actually, no. The primary definition states, "The showing of special favour or unfair preference to a relative in conferring a position, job, privilege, etc." No mention of friends. Further, the secondary definition states, "In extended use: unfair preferment of or favouritism shown to friends, protégés, or others within a person's sphere of influence. Also (occas.): †the exploitation for one's personal advantage of one's influential status (obs.). Freq. in political nepotism." The latter is a silly definition, mentioned in its listing as obsolete, and is only applicable in the political sphere. The root word is nepos, meaning "nephew", for Allah's sake. I've never in my life heard the word "nepotism" applied in any other context than as it pertains to blood/adopted relatives. Fact.

And, further, this is all a moot point, because this is by definition the exact opposite of cronyism, nepotism, or whatever misused term you want to put on it.

See my post above.

Even had I used the word incorrectly, which I did not, trying to point it out like some kind of gotcha when you understood my intent is petty and childish.

Walking of fine line here. You are not happy with the Kill hire, and now are attacking the coordinators with random assumptions. You seem pretty smart to see the hypocrisy of this post.

Actually, no. The primary definition states, "The showing of special favour or unfair preference to a relative in conferring a position, job, privilege, etc." No mention of friends. Further, the secondary definition states, "In extended use: unfair preferment of or favouritism shown to friends, protégés, or others within a person's sphere of influence. Also (occas.): †the exploitation for one's personal advantage of one's influential status (obs.). Freq. in political nepotism." The latter is a silly definition, mentioned in its listing as obsolete, and is only applicable in the political sphere. The root word is nepos, meaning "nephew", for Allah's sake. I've never in my life heard the word "nepotism" applied in any other context than as it pertains to blood/adopted relatives. Fact.

And, further, this is all a moot point, because this is by definition the exact opposite of cronyism, nepotism, or whatever misused term you want to put on it.
This is all very silly and you know that. Also your avatar is NWS.

Top Bottom