Penn St Sanctions

matt

Let's get weird
Reaction score
1) Penn St fined $60 million (equivalent to 1 year of revenue from the football program) which will be used to establish an endowment to benefit the victims of sexual abuse.
2) 4 year bowl ban
3) Loss of 10 scholarships per year for 4 years
4) All wins from 1998-2011 are vacated
5) 5 years probation
6) All football players are free to transfer without sitting out a year

As mentioned in the other thread, they got nuked. In 4 years they'll have 60 scholarship players and still no bowl game. Toxic city, no kid will want to go there.

As mentioned in the other thread, they got nuked. In 4 years they'll have 60 scholarship players and still no bowl game. Toxic city, no kid will want to go there.

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see what the Big Ten does now and if it's more than just loss of bowl $$ and championship game ineligibility.

Just like no one wants to go to USC?

Despite the NCAA PR spin, this is a relative slap on the wrist for the PSU. Suspension of play for a minimum of 2 years would have been a good start.

I find the $60 million fine interesting. Obviously it's good that the money will benefit victims of sexual abuse, but that cost is going to be passed right to the students at Penn St and people who live in Pennsylvania. There is no free lunch.

1) Penn St fined $60 million (equivalent to 1 year of revenue from the football program) which will be used to establish an endowment to benefit the victims of sexual abuse.
2) 4 year bowl ban
3) Loss of 10 scholarships per year for 4 years
4) All wins from 1998-2011 are vacated
5) 5 years probation
6) All football players are free to transfer without sitting out a year

This in and of itself warrants a new thread.

I was listening on the radio while driving, and thanks for posting this summary here.

IMO, this is more intense than the death penalty for a situation of "Girls Gone Wild" when certain things get so out of control for so long a period of time. The crimes? Taken care of. The covering up of the crimes, now taken care of.

The Freeh Report really nailed the whole out of control priority that was established at Penn State.

And the late JoPa was part of the coverup.

Despite the NCAA PR spin, this is a relative slap on the wrist for the PSU. Suspension of play for a minimum of 2 years would have been a good start.

I am not sure why you would call the penalities "a relative slap on the wrist". If your objective is to kill the football program suspension of play for a minimum of two years that probably would do it.

Also:

@John_Infante
To clear up scholarship penalties: Penn State can bring in 15 new scholarship recruits/year & have 65 total on scholarship for four years

Apparently the Big Ten will be announcing their penalties today as well.

Rittenberg/Bennett ‏@ESPN_BigTen
That is correct. RT @drshnpatel: @espn_bigten Big Ten is also announcing penalties today?

FOX Sports Ohio ‏@FOXSportsOH
The NCAA will announce sanctions against Penn State in a moment. The Big Ten will further sanction them later today.

Guessing the Big Ten penalties involve leaving PSU out of bowl monies and the championship game. Not sure what else they could/would do.

Man, this could be like being a G6 Summit nation and becoming a 3rd world nation.

Pennsylvania has a hardcore redneck element once you get beyond Philadelphia, even Pittsburgh is pretty gritty- and I love Pittsburgh and it would be on my top 5 if I moved elsewhere. My point it, a lot of folks love Penn State and college football. I don't see this going over positively there with many folks. The North Dakota resentment towards the perceived elitism of the NCAA in Fighting Sioux debate multiplied in this case is my prediction.

This is crazy. They should not have touched JoePas record in wins, that is just dumb. Fine Money and scholorships.

Penn State should sue the NCAA for over reaching. They are going off the Freeah Report which is all hearsay. Only one person has been convicted in court over this. No one else is even going to court and they think this report is judge and jury.

Penn State already signed off on the sanctions

Hopefully the B1G penalties include realigning the divisions to East/West to allow for more "competitive balance."

GopherFanatic19 said:
This is crazy. They should not have touched JoePas record in wins, that is just dumb. Fine Money and scholorships.

Penn State should sue the NCAA for over reaching. They are going off the Freeah Report which is all hearsay. Only one person has been convicted in court over this. No one else is even going to court and they think this report is judge and jury.

Not touched his wins?? Seriously????

PSU President already signed off on the sanctions, not going to happen.

Big difference in perception. Problems like free houses & benefits aren't going to hold a kid back. Kids from CA are still going to want to be a part of that. PSU's is a completely different animal.

^^^^^^^Too many birds on the antenna ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What does this mean to the overall record on the "Governor's Bell"? Let's get down to what's important here.

Haven't heard it or seen it from a good source yet, but rumor has it the Big Ten will have a press conference at 10 am to sanction Penn St.

Bryan Fischer ‏@BryanDFischer
Big Ten press conference at 10am CT to address Penn State.

Big difference in perception. Problems like free houses & benefits aren't going to hold a kid back. Kids from CA are still going to want to be a part of that. PSU's is a completely different animal.

Would You rather face a USC type program with 65 schollies or anyone else with 85? USC stayed very competitive including preseason #1 this Year. Kids from CA.? Really? First off, 1 in 9 Americans are California residents, second, most of USC's roster are from out of state.

This isn't the end of penn state football. 65 scholarships after the 4 years is still quite a lot. We've obviously had our fair share of trouble beating teams with a max of 63 scholarships.

Let's not forget about ....present psu players may keep their scholarships even if they choose not to play football.....

Would You rather face a USC type program with 65 schollies or anyone else with 85? USC stayed very competitive including preseason #1 this Year. Kids from CA.? Really? First off, 1 in 9 Americans are California residents, second, most of USC's roster are from out of state.

USC could recruit telling kids they could play for a national championship as a junior or senior (when they'd likely be contributing anyhow). What does Penn State tell kids? Come here and play for pride? I think the length of the postseason ban makes a big difference between the two programs (that and the whole transfer without penalty business. It will be interested to see who jumps ship for the Lions now).

Sure USC is No. 1 to start the year. The thing is they have no depth. If one or two starters go down, they are done.

Sure USC is No. 1 to start the year. The thing is they have no depth. If one or two starters go down, they are done.

I agree but my point is the loss of schollies has not hurt them on the field yet, the bowl ban hurt with about 7 players transferring. PSU will still get the legacy recruits. This helps PITT, OSU and Wisky a great deal

Top Bottom