PAYTON WILLIS COMMITS TO MINNESOTA, RETURNS BACK

I'm lukewarm on it.

He is pretty much just a shooter who is only an ok shooter. I don't see him as a true PG, he isn't a particularly strong defender. That said, he isn't awful and we need folks.

I think Ben's and Peyton's paths probably crossed briefly at the U. So that's a plus.

40% from 3 is more than OK

I'm lukewarm on it.

He is pretty much just a shooter who is only an ok shooter. I don't see him as a true PG, he isn't a particularly strong defender. That said, he isn't awful and we need folks.

I think Ben's and Peyton's paths probably crossed briefly at the U. So that's a plus.
Your standards are quite high if you consider Willis to be just an o.k. shooter. His 3-point percentage has gone up every year he's played:

2016-17: .313
2017-18: .349
(sit out transfer)
2019-20: .356
2020-21: .400

Quality player and depth guy, if not a starter. I like it. The roster is filling up with experienced player, they need to add another big at least.
I am fine with this. We need a roster of 13 guys and this doesn't take up any spots for future years. He's not really a PG in my mind but he provides depth there and he is a pretty decent shooter.

Really odd turn of events but cool to get a kid back. We definitely have some veteran guys, don't know if the talent is there but we don't have a bunch of fools, these guys will know what they need to do which is half the battle.

Your standards are quite high if you consider Willis to be just an o.k. shooter. His 3-point percentage has gone up every year he's played:

2016-17: .313
2017-18: .349
(sit out transfer)
2019-20: .356
2020-21: .400
Yeah, he would have been easily our best shooter if you carried over 19-20 and he had a bad ankle for a lot of that season. Can't wait to see what he can do if healthy all year. He is getting old though haha

me too....i hope this doesnt hurt our chances with the combo deal from AM guys

although i dont hate him coming back....i would guess he is going to be playing a lot of PG for us....

and if our hoping is right and we get both the A&M kids.....we are full then correct?
5 open before this. Still 4. If both A&M kids come...2.

Minnesota is going to be one of the oldest and most experienced teams in the nation next year. Even if these players aren't superstars, age and experience can make up for a lot.

Unfortunately, they might be one of the youngest in the year after.

Where would 34% of put him on this year's team?

LOL. You should really stop and think for a bit for typing things. Are you really this triggered by someone saying a 34% 3 PT shooter is OK. You have done nothing but highlight just how poorly we shot the ball last year.

So if 34% is more than OK, you tell me what an OK shooter would be? 30% 25%

In terms of shooting, he's the world's tallest midget. What a giant.

Unfortunately, they might be one of the youngest in the year after.

I thought the same thing but this portal phenomenon might change how teams rebuild. I would prefer to build from the ground up in year one with young players but there just isn’t enough quality freshman left over to fill all the open roster spots when your whole team enters the portal. The 2022 team will hopefully include some high upside freshmen but I’m assuming we will still be in the transfer arena too.

Hopefully we play the College of Charleston's schedule.

He shot 34% playing in the SEC/Big Ten. So, yeah, like I said, he was OK.
It's a little odd to weigh his freshman and sophomore years just as highly as his junior and senior years. His one year in the Big Ten he shot 35.6% from three. He improved that significantly last year in a lesser conference. I think it's entirely reasonable to expect that he has continued to improve as he's gotten older.

But go ahead and eat some more lemons.

LOL. You should really stop and think for a bit for typing things. Are you really this triggered by someone saying a 34% 3 PT shooter is OK. You have done nothing but highlight just how poorly we shot the ball last year.

So if 34% is more than OK, you tell me what an OK shooter would be? 30% 25%

In terms of shooting, he's the world's tallest midget. What a giant.

You took his lowest number the last 3 years and highlighted that. He shot 40% last year and 35.6% (with a bum ankle) his year with the Gophers. I'd call going from 34.9 to 35.6 to 40 a positive trend. You, being a total dickhead as you always are, go ahead and highlight his sophomore season, which was actually FOUR YEARS removed from this upcoming season.

So who should think before they type? I'll take a kid's most recent stats over something that happened a full college career ago. Have you ever heard that people develop quite a bit between the ages of 18 and 22? Why don't you go ahead and pull his high school stats and talk about those?

Came, went, came back. 😳

Kinda crazy, but that's the world we live in.

Welcome back Payton! 😊👍

Last edited:

So he originally went to Vandy for two years.
Transferred here and sat out. Then played here one year. Graduated.
Grad transfer to Charleston, so no sit out.

Now getting an extra free year because of covid. Fine with that, if he wants to play one more year of college ball.

But instead of staying at CoC for another year, where he already used his grad transfer ...... he wants to transfer again (nevermind that he's coming back here).

Unless he's earned another degree at CoC, in my mind he does not deserve to get to transfer again with no sit out. Sorry

Top Bottom