Paul Chryst out at wisconsin!

They screwed up. It's a shame for Paul Chryst, but as a Gopher fan I'm enjoying it.

Here's what you yourself said, and I couldn't agree more:

"Whether or not he should be fired is a very complex question with a lot of layers to it, but all I'm saying is that 12-13 win seasons were unlikely to return under Chryst, just as they are unlikely to be accomplished by the next coach."

-----

You've come right out and admitted the next coach is unlikely to improve on Chryst's record. That leaves me wondering just what it is that Wisconsin is hoping to accomplish by firing Chryst.
I also don't think Chryst was going to improve on Chryst's record. That was my whole point.

Wisconsin is looking for a guy who will be better going forward than Chryst would have been, not necessarily someone to improve on his overall record (though I'm sure they would like that).

I also don't think Chryst was going to improve on Chryst's record. That was my whole point.

Wisconsin is looking for a guy who will be better going forward than Chryst would have been, not necessarily someone to improve on his overall record (though I'm sure they would like that).

??????????????

Better going forward than Chryst — but not necessarily improve on his record?

??????????????

Yes - they are looking for a coach who in 2023, 2024, etc. will be better than Paul Chryst would have been in those years. I don't think they are going to fire someone who is unable to replicate his 2017 season. Does that make more sense? It's up for debate whether that will happen (and no way of ever knowing), but it's not that hard to see what they are trying to do.

To put it in simpler terms, many believe (and a lot of evidence shows) that the game had largely passed Chryst by, and he is not the same coach he was 3,4,5 years ago.

Yes - they are looking for a coach who in 2023, 2024, etc. will be better than Paul Chryst would have been in those years. I don't think they are going to fire someone who is unable to replicate his 2017 season. Does that make more sense? It's up for debate whether that will happen (and no way of ever knowing), but it's not that hard to see what they are trying to do.

To put it in simpler terms, many believe (and a lot of evidence shows) that the game had largely passed Chryst by, and he is not the same coach he was 3,4,5 years ago.

When did the game pass him by? Keep in mind he won 9 games last season, and 10 games in his next more recent complete year.

Chryst AFAIK was very good as an offensive coordinator (and as a head coach but who’s keeping track….), but Wisconsin has stumbled on offense in recent years. That did seem to coincide with when they kicked Jack Coan to the curb in favor of the Golden Arm - who may or may not pan out (seems to be improving to Coan-like levels this year. Edit: still well below Coan level production).

So what gives? Teams have ups and downs. Trouble with the AD? Recruiting issues? Rest of Big Ten getting better? Is it really just Chryst not being silver-tongued and not 30-something? Maybe doesn’t gel with the new-era kids and their needs. Just spitballing. Head scratcher.
Yeah, I think they got trigger happy. Guessing the conversation was Chryst telling them something like that this and next year are rebuilding years, and they semi panicked.

I'd say it's very hard (for me, at least) to see what they are trying to do.

You seem sure you know what it is, but you don't seem to be able to explain it.

What is it that they're trying to do?

I'd say it's very hard (for me, at least) to see what they are trying to do.

You seem sure you know what it is, but you don't seem to be able to explain it.

What is it that they're trying to do?
I have to imagine you are intentionally being obtuse.

They are trying to hire a guy who they think, on a going forward basis, will be more successful than Paul Chryst would have been as their head coach. They have decided that they believe they can find that person. The same thing Colorado, Nebraska, and others have decided.

Stop arguing just to argue.

They are trying to hire a guy who they think, on a going forward basis, will be more successful than Paul Chryst would have been as their head coach. They have decided that they believe they can find that person. The same thing Colorado, Nebraska, and others have decided.

And do you think they are likely to find a guy who will be more successful than Chryst? Because I think that is highly unlikely.

More successful, but not necessarily a better record. Right? Isn't that what you said?
You can't be serious. Chryst's record in 2015 has no bearing on what they think he will do in 2023 and beyond. Obviously if they had a crystal ball and could see how many games Chryst would win over the next 5 years compared to whoever they hire, that would make for a pretty easy decision. They are projecting the future, not the past. I didn't think that needed explaining.

You can't be serious. Chryst's record in 2015 has no bearing on what they think he will do in 2023 and beyond. Obviously if they had a crystal ball and could see how many games Chryst would win over the next 5 years compared to whoever they hire, that would make for a pretty easy decision. They are projecting the future, not the past. I didn't think that needed explaining.

Chryst was fired for what he would have failed to accomplish in the future?

How will he be more successful but not improve on Chryst's record?

More successful going forward than Chryst would have been going forward. I don't think Wisconsin thinks the next guy will have a 13 win season like Chryst had, but I also don't think Chryst was going to reach that level again.

The new guy may win 9 games (in the future), but Chryst probably would have only won 8, in the same future, but with Chryst as coach rather than the actual future coach.

Two different futures, you see.

I think I'm beginning to see it.......

..... in the FUTURE!

It's pretty simple. Wisconsin is getting rid of him before the program slips any further, making it harder to recover. Their thought is that keeping Chryst means they continue their slide, whereas a new guy can bring new ideas, culture, etc. that is a better fit for the future.

Are they right? Who knows, but that's what their reasoning is.

The new guy may win 9 games (in the future), but Chryst probably would have only won 8, in the same future, but with Chest as coach rather than the actual future coach.

I think I'm beginning to see.......

..... the FUTURE!
I mean go ahead and use my words against me, I'll admit I'm hardly a wordsmith. Every coaching hire/fire decision is based on some sort of future projection though, is it not?

I wouldn't bother. You are spot on with the intentionally obtuse and his arguing for the sake of arguing.

I mean go ahead and use my words against me, I'll admit I'm hardly a wordsmith. Every coaching hire/fire decision is based on some sort of future projection though, is it not?

Yes.

And that future projection is based somewhat on past performance, is it not?

Yes.

And that future projection is based somewhat on past performance, is it not?
Yes that is a factor for sure. Again I'm not saying Wisconsin did or did not make the right call, just explaining what their reasoning was.
FWIW, I wish they would have held on to PC because I am confident we are surpassing them. The new guy may or may not be better, we'll see.

It's pretty simple. Wisconsin is getting rid of him before the program slips any further, making it harder to recover. Their thought is that keeping Chryst means they continue their slide, whereas a new guy can bring new ideas, culture, etc. that is a better fit for the future.

Are they right? Who knows, but that's what their reasoning is.

Again with this idea of a slide.

He won 9 games last season, and 10 the next most recent (non-COVID) season. You understand that, yes?

What slide?

Again with this idea of a slide.

He won 9 games last season, and 10 the next most recent (non-COVID) season. You understand that, yes?

What slide?
After this year they will have won the west just once in the last 5 years, their offense doesn't seem to be progressing, Mertz hasn't developed, they seem to be less fundamentally sound, etc. And a lot of people think having a generational RB in Jonathan Taylor covered up a lot of weaknesses.

Certainly could be debated, and there's an argument that Chryst got a raw deal, but to me I just don't see this as the same Wisconsin program we all know and hate. Reality is we will never know what Chryst would have done the rest of this year and going forward. That's the gamble UW is taking.

After this year they will have won the west just once in the last 5 years, their offense doesn't seem to be progressing, Mertz hasn't developed, they seem to be less fundamentally sound, etc. And a lot of people think having a generational RB in Jonathan Taylor covered up a lot of weaknesses.

Certainly could be debated, and there's an argument that Chryst got a raw deal, but to me I just don't see this as the same Wisconsin program we all know and hate. Reality is we will never know what Chryst would have done the rest of this year and going forward. That's the gamble UW is taking.

Okay. Thank you.

Yes, UW is taking a gamble. A huge gamble.

As I said, it reminds me very much of the gamble Nebraska took when they fired Bo Pellini. Like that gamble, this one looks like pure hubris.

Nebraska has still not recovered.

Okay. Thank you.

Yes, UW is taking a gamble. A huge gamble.

As I said, it reminds me very much of the gamble Nebraska took when they fired Bo Pellini. Like that gamble, this one looks like pure hubris.

Nebraska has still not recovered.
I think they keep him if jimmy wasn’t there. Many believe he is the future of Wisconsin football and he is kind of the favorite son right now as pc was earlier. I think the Mertz experiment cost him the job possibly. I really thought he would be the quarterback Wisconsin always hoped for but that has not materialized

More successful going forward than Chryst would have been going forward. I don't think Wisconsin thinks the next guy will have a 13 win season like Chryst had, but I also don't think Chryst was going to reach that level again.
Of course not a bunch of 13 win seasons, noboby out here thinks that. So what is considered being more successful to you? A better winning percentage than Chryst?

??????????????

I'm not Gophers1992, but yes, and that isn't an illogical take.

I don't think the next coach will repeat Chryst's overall record at WI. However, I am more confident that there next coach will win more games - from 2023 going forward - than Paul Chryst would have.

Alleged non-Badger fan Murray has approximately 490 posts in what? 24 hrs? bemoaning the loss to Badger football that is Chryst.

Too funny.

Are you sure you understand what bemoaning means?

Reason I ask, you seem to have either skipped actually reading through my posts on the subject, or you simply failed to comprehend them.

Bemoaning the loss to Badger football is the exact opposite of what my posts have been about. I'm quite happy the Mad Town folks have blundered into their hubris-fueled Bo Pellini moment of comeuppance, as I clearly stated in several of my posts.

I guess you missed those. You need to brush up on your speed reading, perhaps.

$11 million to get fired. He should take the dough and never work again.

Top Bottom