Parker Fox injured

Keep telling your story. Results are what matter, no excuses.
Correct results do matter and this loss won’t affect them as bad as others could because of our depth there. Picking up another post in portal wouldn’t have changed that. I’m fine for people wanting more depth, but our current roster has that at his position. Now at guard is a different discussion and more of an unknown.

Ugh ugh ugh. I was most excited to see Fox play this year. Man when is this program going to get over the dang snake-bitten injury issues...

How can we have two guys with such rotten luck as him and Curry....
Will he be in the program as long as Curry. If so he'll be a reserve for another 6 years. Yeah I know he doesn't have that much eligibility but for the Gophers they will make an exemption.

Correct results do matter and this loss won’t affect them as bad as others could because of our depth there. Picking up another post in portal wouldn’t have changed that. I’m fine for people wanting more depth, but our current roster has that at his position. Now at guard is a different discussion and more of an unknown.
I disagree. We have a few bodies, but no one that we or BJ knows will provide dependable minutes (outside of Garcia, obviously). Ihnen’s coming off of an injury of his own and wasn’t exactly an all big ten player to begin with (I’m bullish on him, but not because of past results), TT was such a defensive liability last year that he didn’t see the court, and Payne’s never played a second of collegiate basketball (even if he’s as good as Oturu, which some suggest, IMO Oturu was subpar compared to the field during the first half of the season, until he figured out the pace of the big ten).

Realistically how many practices had BJ even run with Ihnen and Payne before shutting down recruiting? Ihnen just got cleared what, 2 weeks ago? Payne’s graduation 10 days ago? His exposure to PF was also limited.

Edit: I guess my thesis is that it’s unproven depth, and the portal is an opportunity to pick up a known quantity.

Last edited:

I disagree. We have a few bodies, but no one that we or BJ knows will provide dependable minutes. Ihnen’s coming off of an injury of his own and wasn’t exactly an all big ten player to begin with (I’m bullish on him, but not because of past results), TT was such a defensive liability last year that he didn’t see the court, and Payne’s never played a second of collegiate basketball (even if he’s as good as Oturu, which some suggest, IMO Oturu was subpar compared to the field during the first half of the season, until he figured out the pace of the big ten).

Realistically how many practices had BJ even run with Ihnen and Payne before shutting down recruiting? Ihnen just got cleared what, 2 weeks ago? Payne’s graduation 10 days ago?
Spot on.

I had 6 knee injuries by age 28. They don’t get easier or more fun to rehab from. If it’s an ACL his personality may serve him well. Resiliency will be key

I disagree. We have a few bodies, but no one that we or BJ knows will provide dependable minutes (outside of Garcia, obviously). Ihnen’s coming off of an injury of his own and wasn’t exactly an all big ten player to begin with (I’m bullish on him, but not because of past results), TT was such a defensive liability last year that he didn’t see the court, and Payne’s never played a second of collegiate basketball (even if he’s as good as Oturu, which some suggest, IMO Oturu was subpar compared to the field during the first half of the season, until he figured out the pace of the big ten).

Realistically how many practices had BJ even run with Ihnen and Payne before shutting down recruiting? Ihnen just got cleared what, 2 weeks ago? Payne’s graduation 10 days ago? His exposure to PF was also limited.

Edit: I guess my thesis is that it’s unproven depth, and the portal is an opportunity to pick up a known quantity.
Seriously how many frontcourt guys do you believe most B1G teams have? What if Illinois loses Dainja? Do you think they have more depth than us? Go through the rosters and check if you’d like. If you believe we should’ve continued to dig for more posts in the portal or on the trail then more power to you but we already had an imbalance of 4/5s on the roster. You’re right on TTs faults last year, but Payne is better and the way he plays and his strength will let him be the 4th or 5th option on the team that can finish in the top 10 in the conference. He can provide what Oturo gave us imo. Can Carrington match Kalcheaur maybe. Cooper probably can’t give us what Mason did, but Garcia and Battle can be what Murphy and McBrayer were. That was a top 6 team in the conference that year. While the Fox injury hurts, we are still in ok shape for next year imo. It’s of course a lot tighter, but so would any other B1G team this year.

I feel horrible for the kid.

I trust the coaches to keep the team making strides forward this season.

Should have taken Bleed’s lead and stayed focused on PF in this thread. I feel for the kid, but I hope he stays with it and gets his chance to compete at this level.

Sucks. But I'll wait for an update before jumping off the cliff.

Sucks. But I'll wait for an update before jumping off the cliff.
Appreciate the attempt here ... but we all know your "Minnesota gonna Minnesota" spider sense is tingling, just like all of ours, on this.

If it was minor, I think Ben would've said that at the press conference, rather than saying nothing.

Wouldn't be surprised if he took a page out of Fleck's book and just flat out refuses to ever confirm what the injury was. Will just say that he is "out indefinitely", indefinitely.

Appreciate the attempt here ... but we all know your "Minnesota gonna Minnesota" spider sense is tingling, just like all of ours, on this.

If it was minor, I think Ben would've said that at the press conference, rather than saying nothing.

Wouldn't be surprised if he took a page out of Fleck's book and just flat out refuses to ever confirm what the injury was. Will just say that he is "out indefinitely", indefinitely.
I think when injuries happen in the summer it means they are pretty much out for the season or most of it, otherwise they don't announce it publicly

Exactly. If it was something he’d be back from in a couple weeks or a month, why even announce it and hold a press conference?

He’s out for the season. We all know it.

For the sake of Parker Fox, let's wait until after the test results come in before bringing up this Minnesotans can't have nice things drivel.

Unfortunately, I have heard similar info from a reliable source
Will hold out hope until something official is released but definitely feels like we are headed that direction with this one.

Major bummer since I have been really excited to see what Fox can do. Definitely puts more pressure on Payne to be ready quicker and also wouldn't shock me to see them go add another player from the portal if in fact it does turn out he is done for the year.

I completely agree. Not using up all of our scholarships is a mistake. Injuries happen and depth matters.

One small area where I disagree is that I think Battle's best position will always be PF (I also think Ihnen's best position will always be PF). So if we add another person to this team, I hope it's a wing rather than a big. That said, I'd take either at this point.

Will hold out hope until something official is released but definitely feels like we are headed that direction with this one.

Major bummer since I have been really excited to see what Fox can do. Definitely puts more pressure on Payne to be ready quicker and also wouldn't shock me to see them go add another player from the portal if in fact it does turn out he is done for the year.
84 says there is no need.

The press conference was planned in advance.
I was wrong, thanks for the correction.

All the same, during the planned press conference, there wouldn't be anything to announce if it was just a rolled ankle or a "sprain" of a knee. Things that can heal in weeks or certainly before the start of the season.

There would be no Greder Tweet, as referenced in the OP.

Seriously how many frontcourt guys do you believe most B1G teams have? What if Illinois loses Dainja? Do you think they have more depth than us? Go through the rosters and check if you’d like. If you believe we should’ve continued to dig for more posts in the portal or on the trail then more power to you but we already had an imbalance of 4/5s on the roster.

There's nothing wrong written there but this program isn't Illinois. This is a program coming off three straight losing seasons and with a history of attrition that has led to disappointing results so you can't blame people for thinking "Here we go again." If this injury lasts all, or the greater part, of the season, this team now has the same number of scholarship players that it had last season - ten. I agree that this incident would have been more damaging if it had happened to one of the guards but every little bit can hurt.

Nah....I agree. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. That said....until I hear confirmation....I'll have my fingers crossed.

Don't think Ben Johnson would hide an injury like an ACL. No reason to. And it certainly doesn't compare to the Fleck situation with Trey Potts. What happened to him was alarming and confusing far beyond a physical injury like a knee.

Nah....I agree. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. That said....until I hear confirmation....I'll have my fingers crossed.

Don't think Ben Johnson would hide an injury like an ACL. No reason to. And it certainly doesn't compare to the Fleck situation with Trey Potts. What happened to him was alarming and confusing far beyond a physical injury like a knee.
No, not Potts. Agree that doesn't compare.

Talking about Braelen Oliver. Fleck would never say what he had, even though everyone knows he had a knee injury.

If Fox is done for the year, it's really unfortunate, I don't necessarily have an issue with not using all 13 schollies, but ideally you should use 12 and have an extra walk on hanging around just so you have enough practice bodies. Perhaps there's a manager they could elevate to walk on, or maybe an NSIC or MIAC kid would rather walk on here, or maybe a former D2/D3 kid transferred to the U as a normal student, I am sure the staff viewing all options/ scathing portal for someone to come in and be a practice body as well. As far as the line up goes I am guessing Payne slides in as the starting five or maybe Ihnen starts and they go Dawson, Battle, Ihnen, Carrington Cooper, with Samuels and Payne first two off the bench? Guessing Thompson will at least get a rotation a game now or maybe one of JOJ or Henley emerges as an eighth man so Battle/ Ihnen can spend more time at the four spot and Dawson at the five etc. Maybe Ben gives all ten some run, it'll be interesting to see

There's nothing wrong written there but this program isn't Illinois. This is a program coming off three straight losing seasons and with a history of attrition that has led to disappointing results so you can't blame people for thinking "Here we go again." If this injury lasts all, or the greater part, of the season, this team now has the same number of scholarship players that it had last season - ten. I agree that this incident would have been more damaging if it had happened to one of the guards but every little bit can hurt.
Yeah I get the worry. Most that worrying imo haven’t watched Payne or don’t trust this staff (don’t blame them for that either) with roster management. They just see empty scholarships and can’t figure out why we wouldn’t fill them. It’s a delicate balancing act of recruiting, roster balance/chemistry, and availability. I don’t want the coaching staff wasting recruiting time finding a 12th and 13th guy when they can/are developing with next years preps. The availability of a guy who will come here and do that role are very few and far between. I’m guessing we will now go look for another Ogele type guy now, but it’s highly highly unlikely we find a rotation guy. The only way we would’ve gotten one more with the 12 and 13th scholarship would’ve been if our staff lied to them and promised them something that wasn’t there. That’s how you ruin relationships and end up with a Pitino and our local AAU situation. It’s not just as simple as adding guys and it’s why it’s this way everywhere right now.

Sucks for Parker more than anyone. Guy really rose and got better from HS (I coached against him). We will miss him on the floor too no doubt.

Almost hate to even suggest it, and it could easily be a zero chance, but ...................................... technically Curry is still eligible to play this season.

2016-17 - season 1 (4 more years to play 3 more seasons)
2017-18 - medical redshirt (4 more years to play 3 more seasons)
2018-19 - season 2 (3 more years to play 2 more seasons)
2019-20 - sat out with injury (2 more years to play 2 more seasons)
2020-21 - covid = defacto medical redshirt (2 more years to play 2 more seasons)
2021-22 - season 3 (1 more year to play 1 more season)
2022-23 - season 4 ????

Top Bottom