Parker Fox injured

this stinks. Fox is the guy I was most looking forward to watching this season - both because of what I hoped he would bring to the team, and also because of his personality.

from a personnel standpoint, the only way I would want Ben to bring in another player at this date is IF that player is good enough to contribute. If it's just a warm body, go find some kid playing intermural ball on campus.

I think what this means is that the Gophers will likely have to go a little "smaller" at times.
The Gophs basically have 6 front-court players:
Garcia, Payne, TT, Battle, Ihnen and JOJ.

and they are all going to have to play, so let's hope TT and JOJ are ready.

having said that, I still think they are are better shape than last year.

Almost hate to even suggest it, and it could easily be a zero chance, but ...................................... technically Curry is still eligible to play this season.

2016-17 - season 1 (4 more years to play 3 more seasons)
2017-18 - medical redshirt (4 more years to play 3 more seasons)
2018-19 - season 2 (3 more years to play 2 more seasons)
2019-20 - sat out with injury (2 more years to play 2 more seasons)
2020-21 - covid = defacto medical redshirt (2 more years to play 2 more seasons)
2021-22 - season 3 (1 more year to play 1 more season)
2022-23 - season 4 ????
Is Curry still going to be a coach/grad assistant? If so, the same "we need you to have enough guys for practice so you might as well play" logic could apply.

If Curry wants to play, you could do a lot worse if all you need is 5-10 minutes per game. We just relied on him way too much last year.

Sucks big time. Huge opportunity for JOJ . I’m thinking, hoping he surprises a lot of people.

I completely agree. Not using up all of our scholarships is a mistake. Injuries happen and depth matters.

One small area where I disagree is that I think Battle's best position will always be PF (I also think Ihnen's best position will always be PF). So if we add another person to this team, I hope it's a wing rather than a big. That said, I'd take either at this point.
Funny. I thought Battle’s best position was as a secondary ball handler because he could break down bigger defenders with his quick handles or back smaller defenders into the post and hit that fadeaway. But I guess that’s modern basketball for ya - call it whatever position you want, but get him the ball in space.

Yeah I get the worry. Most that worrying imo haven’t watched Payne or don’t trust this staff (don’t blame them for that either) with roster management. They just see empty scholarships and can’t figure out why we wouldn’t fill them. It’s a delicate balancing act of recruiting, roster balance/chemistry, and availability. I don’t want the coaching staff wasting recruiting time finding a 12th and 13th guy when they can/are developing with next years preps. The availability of a guy who will come here and do that role are very few and far between. I’m guessing we will now go look for another Ogele type guy now, but it’s highly highly unlikely we find a rotation guy. The only way we would’ve gotten one more with the 12 and 13th scholarship would’ve been if our staff lied to them and promised them something that wasn’t there. That’s how you ruin relationships and end up with a Pitino and our local AAU situation. It’s not just as simple as adding guys and it’s why it’s this way everywhere right now.

Sucks for Parker more than anyone. Guy really rose and got better from HS (I coached against him). We will miss him on the floor too no doubt.
I don’t want to split hairs, but most coaches find a way to sell the 12th and 13th spot on a regular basis, presumably without lying. Programs like Wisconsin have flourished featuring seniors who were once the 12th or 13th guy on the bench. There are players out there who are okay with that role. (Obviously getting a freshman to use the scholarship is way different than convincing a transfer.). My hope is that BJ is balancing out with time and that he’s not content with a short bench.

As far as filling the spot with another post player - maybe that’s not as important as filling in with a wing or guard. Worse than having one guy play out of position is having your whole lineup shift to play out of position. That happened several times throughout the tubby and Pitino eras.

I don’t want to split hairs, but most coaches find a way to sell the 12th and 13th spot on a regular basis, presumably without lying. Programs like Wisconsin have flourished featuring seniors who were once the 12th or 13th guy on the bench. There are players out there who are okay with that role. (Obviously getting a freshman to use the scholarship is way different than convincing a transfer.). My hope is that BJ is balancing out with time and that he’s not content with a short bench.

As far as filling the spot with another post player - maybe that’s not as important as filling in with a wing or guard. Worse than having one guy play out of position is having your whole lineup shift to play out of position. That happened several times throughout the tubby and Pitino eras.
Most programs legitimately don’t use 13 anymore. If they do they are freebies to 4th year walk ons. That’s my main point when I push back on everyone up in arms about not using them. I get it the easy logic is to fill, but there is a reason many are not anymore. Of course if you find guys like Michael Hurt or Gaston (who got trashed on here regularly) to fill those spots with the idea that they develop into something. Go for it, but it’s not as common as it once was. The portal made it even worse. Maybe NIL money will maybe change it back as guys may be willing to sit if they are getting a chunk of change but we don’t have that here yet. I’m fine if they add another body, but it’s likely they won’t be a contributor and more the ilk of Ogele.

It looks like the women's team's best athlete is joining the men's team's best athlete on the sidelines with matching knee injuries.

It looks like the women's team's best athlete is joining the men's team's best athlete on the sidelines with matching knee injuries.

For those looking for context:

University of Minnesota head women's basketball coach Lindsay Whalen has announced today that freshman forward Niamya Holloway (Eden Prairie, Minn.) suffered a season-ending left knee injury last week.

"Unfortunately Niamya suffered a knee injury last week, and we are saddened to learn this week that it is season ending," Whalen said. "We are here to support Niamya every step of the way as she moves forward in this recovery process."

Go Gophers!!

Kneesovertoesguy has your prevention plan, better start putting it into practice

"Thirty-four percent of the student-athletes involved in the Wisconsin study specialized in one sport, with females (41%) more likely to specialize than males (28%). Soccer had the highest level of specialization for both males (45%) and females (49%). After soccer, the rate of specialization for females was highest for softball (45%), volleyball (43%) and basketball (37%). The top specialization sports for males after soccer were basketball (37%), tennis (33%) and wrestling (29%). The sports with lowest levels of specialization were football (16%) for boys and track and field (15%) for girls."
I thought the above quote breakdown was enlightening.
If I read correctly, injury rates to legs is about twice as high if you specialize in one sport.
And then there is the basketball argument I hear..."Don't play football and jeopardize your basketball future by getting hurt."
Need more kids golfing as a second or third sport.

"Thirty-four percent of the student-athletes involved in the Wisconsin study specialized in one sport, with females (41%) more likely to specialize than males (28%). Soccer had the highest level of specialization for both males (45%) and females (49%). After soccer, the rate of specialization for females was highest for softball (45%), volleyball (43%) and basketball (37%). The top specialization sports for males after soccer were basketball (37%), tennis (33%) and wrestling (29%). The sports with lowest levels of specialization were football (16%) for boys and track and field (15%) for girls."
I thought the above quote breakdown was enlightening.
If I read correctly, injury rates to legs is about twice as high if you specialize in one sport.
And then there is the basketball argument I hear..."Don't play football and jeopardize your basketball future by getting hurt."
Need more kids golfing as a second or third sport.
Article from a couple of years ago about sport specialization and injuries in youth athletics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ry-that-kids-are-playing-too-much-basketball/

Top Bottom