PAC-ACC-BIG alliance announcement expected today

Bring the warm weather schools here for a November game :)

I'm probably being dense, but how do you make sure every team plays one from each of the other two conferences when the Pac-12 only has 12 teams and the others have 14 (and ACC 15 including ND)? They looking to add two teams? Boise and Colorado St? Iowa State?

They aren't, although they might be if they ever decided to stop playing each other voluntarily.
Of all places I can imagine Florida Politician Man getting involved there.

They like to do those things:

Yahoo with some rumblings:

a few bits:

• An agreement where each football team in the three conferences would play one opponent from each of the other two leagues on an annual basis. In most cases, the opponents would rotate. This could help maximize revenue in upcoming television deals for the Big Ten and Pac-12, which have expiring media rights deals in upcoming seasons. (The Big Ten deal is through the 2022 football season and the Pac-12 through the 2023 football season.)

Under such a plan, the Big Ten could drop its conference schedule from nine games to eight, and require each school to play one game against an ACC and a Pac-12 team each year. Wisconsin, for example, would play Virginia and Oregon one year, Florida State and UCLA the next. Big Ten schools would be allowed to schedule the additional non-conference games as they see fit.
  • If adopted, the Big Ten’s conference season would consist of six games within either the East or West Division and two crossover games. There are currently three crossover games.
  • ACC teams, which already play eight conference games, would schedule a Big Ten and a Pac-12 opponent annually.

The ACC adding value to its television rights is the tricky part, as it is stuck in a lopsided deal with ESPN until 2036 that it signed in order to obtain a television network. The Alliance is not expected to help the conference get out of the ESPN deal.
  • The Pac-12, which currently has nine league games, would consider dropping down to eight as well, or just use two of the three non-conference games in the Alliance.
  • Any Big Ten or Pac-12 team already playing Notre Dame, which has its own scheduling deal with the ACC, would be able to count the Irish as its ACC opponent.

Pac-12 members USC and Stanford have annual series with Notre Dame. Big Ten programs Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Purdue also have future series scheduled with the Irish.

Blunting the SEC and having a louder voice in shaping College Football Playoff​

The new scheduling should create additional marquee games and perhaps increased television money, while potentially squeezing the SEC in non-conference scheduling.

Four ACC teams have annual games with in-state SEC rivals — Clemson-South Carolina, Georgia Tech-Georgia, Florida State-Florida and Louisville-Kentucky. Those games would continue, but there would be a decided lack of available non-conference dates for other SEC teams seeking major opponents.

In terms of the College Football Playoff, the leagues appear to prefer a 12-team field like the one that has been proposed, but the Alliance wants more of a say in how that model unfolds. That current plan, which has not been agreed upon, was devised over a two-year period by a four-person group consisting of SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick. The ACC/Big Ten/Pac-12 now want more of a voice in how a 12-team playoff is built.

A possible wrinkle the group could propose would be a push for some playoff games to be controlled by conferences, not necessarily bowl games.

That would allow, say, the Big Ten to stage a playoff game at a neutral site within its footprint. That could happen inside the domed stadiums of Indianapolis and Detroit, or maybe outdoors in Cleveland or Chicago. This would replace using only traditional bowl games, which are located in the South or West.

Alliance seeks to influence TV power, halt ESPN's total control​

How the playoff's television rights would be put out for bid, how many networks would be allowed to carry the games and how the teams are selected could also be addressed. The Alliance is wary of ESPN, who has exclusive rights to all SEC games starting in 2024, also having full control of the playoff. ESPN has rights to the playoff through 2025 and an exclusive negotiating window. There has long been a strong feeling within the sport that multiple networks broadcasting the playoff would be better financially and for exposure.
I'd like to see CFP games at US Bank Stadium.

The alliance “announcement” is really nothing

But what will be something is when in October we see what is decided about future of playoff. Smaller expansion than expected is my guess (8 instead of 12) they’ve all dropped lines about “playing 16 games”

The alliance “announcement” is really nothing

But what will be something is when in October we see what is decided about future of playoff. Smaller expansion than expected is my guess (8 instead of 12) they’ve all dropped lines about “playing 16 games”
In a 12 team field, to play 17 games means you'd have to play in a conf championship game, but not get a top 4 seed. And then make it all the way to the natty.

Guess it depends how many CCG runner-ups will make it and what they'll be ranked.

Seems highly unlikely.

I'm probably being dense, but how do you make sure every team plays one from each of the other two conferences when the Pac-12 only has 12 teams and the others have 14 (and ACC 15 including ND)? They looking to add two teams? Boise and Colorado St? Iowa State?
Irish already plays several teams in the B1G and PAC 12, so that helps with the scheduling math.

They aren't, although they might be if they ever decided to stop playing each other voluntarily.
I'm taking the word of a friend who's a UF Alum. Supposedly Florida didn't want to play FSU back in the old days so someone got it put in a bill. Not sure if true or whether it was ever repealed etc.

I agree, either way it will be a major uproar if they stop.

Edit: Found this : There was a bill, it never passed, but they were ordered to play.

Last edited:

Not sure how seriously anyone is going to take this without it being backed up on paper. A “gentleman’s agreement” these days isn’t worth as much as it used to be.

Not sure how seriously anyone is going to take this without it being backed up on paper. A “gentleman’s agreement” these days isn’t worth as much as it used to be.
I think it is telling that they don't all want to be at the mercy of ESPN land... I think that shared interest can drive real actions.

I wish we even got a low level bowl game there regularly... I'd go all the time.

Holiday tradition!
They will be well-attended. People can't get enough sports in the deep of Winter up around here. If the sports media and the NCAA are serious about increasing revenue streams, they should quit ignoring cold-climate venues like the Twin Cities that can pull out the red carpet with excellent indoor venues. Show the country that the Twin Cities is alive and well all year round.

Seems to me we are heading to sixteen team conferences with 8 team divisions.

Big-ten could go to sixteen games with Kansas and Iowa State
ACC could add West Virginia and Notre Dame as an associate
Pac-12 has twelve teams and could add Oklahoma State, TCU, Kansas State and BYU or some other combo

Each conference would be sixteen teams and play 8 conference game including all the teams in the division and one crossover and then one game with an ACC team and one game with a Pac-12 team. Might consider allowing a game against a SEC team to be added instead of a ACC or Pac-12 team. Could be done next year based of the Gopher upcoming schedules 2022-2029. We are ready to go. Tougher schedule but more fun.

2022 Colorado (Pac-12)
2023 BYU
2024 North Carolina (ACC)
2025 North Carolina (ACC)
2026 Mississippi State (SEC)
2027 Mississippi State (SEC)
2028 California (Pac-12)
2029 California (Pac-12)

They will be well-attended. People can't get enough sports in the deep of Winter up around here. If the sports media and the NCAA are serious about increasing revenue streams, they should quit ignoring cold-climate venues like the Twin Cities that can pull out the red carpet with excellent indoor venues. Show the country that the Twin Cities is alive and well all year round.
We should also be in the mix for the big ten championship game. Detroit too.

Not until 2025, at the earliest.

They're going to try to block every last red cent they can from of Texas, Oklahoma, the SEC, and ESPN, for as long as they can.
I don’t think so. Texas and OU won’t be in the Big 12 past the 2022 season. ESPN has an ace in the hole from what I’m hearing.

Seems to me we are heading to sixteen team conferences with 8 team divisions.

Big-ten could go to sixteen games with Kansas and Iowa State
ACC could add West Virginia and Notre Dame as an associate
Pac-12 has twelve teams and could add Oklahoma State, TCU, Kansas State and BYU or some other combo

Each conference would be sixteen teams and play 8 conference game including all the teams in the division and one crossover and then one game with an ACC team and one game with a Pac-12 team. Might consider allowing a game against a SEC team to be added instead of a ACC or Pac-12 team. Could be done next year based of the Gopher upcoming schedules 2022-2029. We are ready to go. Tougher schedule but more fun.

2022 Colorado (Pac-12)
2023 BYU
2024 North Carolina (ACC)
2025 North Carolina (ACC)
2026 Mississippi State (SEC)
2027 Mississippi State (SEC)
2028 California (Pac-12)
2029 California (Pac-12)
I do not see expansion with this alliance.

I do not see expansion with this alliance.
I really don’t know what their is to see here with today’s alliance announcement. Right now, it’s just a “gentlemen’s agreement” between 3 conferences and 40+ universities. Nothing in writing. So many things can and will change. The more interesting thing to me is the PAC 12 is supposed to have some big news Friday. I’m curious if they’re going to announce additional schools joining the conference.

I really don’t know what their is to see here with today’s alliance announcement. Right now, it’s just a “gentlemen’s agreement” between 3 conferences and 40+ universities. Nothing in writing. So many things can and will change. The more interesting thing to me is the PAC 12 is supposed to have some big news Friday. I’m curious if they’re going to announce additional schools joining the conference.
We'll see...

I know some people are grousing about the lack of details.

I guess I see the "announcement" as a way to put it out in the public eye that the remaining P5 FB conferences are pushing back against ESPN and the SEC.

In this case, I think the big picture is more important than the details. It's 3 conferences sending a message to the SEC and ESPN that they are not going to be the only voice in deciding the future of major college FB.

think of it as the equivalent of a promise ring. assuming nothing goes wrong, it hopefully leads to an engagement and then to a long and happy marriage.

Adding Texas and Oklahoma. At least that's the word on the street.

Top Bottom