PAC-ACC-BIG alliance announcement expected today

swingman

Reaction score
Yahoo with some rumblings:

a few bits:

• An agreement where each football team in the three conferences would play one opponent from each of the other two leagues on an annual basis. In most cases, the opponents would rotate. This could help maximize revenue in upcoming television deals for the Big Ten and Pac-12, which have expiring media rights deals in upcoming seasons. (The Big Ten deal is through the 2022 football season and the Pac-12 through the 2023 football season.)

Under such a plan, the Big Ten could drop its conference schedule from nine games to eight, and require each school to play one game against an ACC and a Pac-12 team each year. Wisconsin, for example, would play Virginia and Oregon one year, Florida State and UCLA the next. Big Ten schools would be allowed to schedule the additional non-conference games as they see fit.
  • If adopted, the Big Ten’s conference season would consist of six games within either the East or West Division and two crossover games. There are currently three crossover games.
  • ACC teams, which already play eight conference games, would schedule a Big Ten and a Pac-12 opponent annually.

The ACC adding value to its television rights is the tricky part, as it is stuck in a lopsided deal with ESPN until 2036 that it signed in order to obtain a television network. The Alliance is not expected to help the conference get out of the ESPN deal.
  • The Pac-12, which currently has nine league games, would consider dropping down to eight as well, or just use two of the three non-conference games in the Alliance.
  • Any Big Ten or Pac-12 team already playing Notre Dame, which has its own scheduling deal with the ACC, would be able to count the Irish as its ACC opponent.

Pac-12 members USC and Stanford have annual series with Notre Dame. Big Ten programs Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Purdue also have future series scheduled with the Irish.

Blunting the SEC and having a louder voice in shaping College Football Playoff​

The new scheduling should create additional marquee games and perhaps increased television money, while potentially squeezing the SEC in non-conference scheduling.

Four ACC teams have annual games with in-state SEC rivals — Clemson-South Carolina, Georgia Tech-Georgia, Florida State-Florida and Louisville-Kentucky. Those games would continue, but there would be a decided lack of available non-conference dates for other SEC teams seeking major opponents.

In terms of the College Football Playoff, the leagues appear to prefer a 12-team field like the one that has been proposed, but the Alliance wants more of a say in how that model unfolds. That current plan, which has not been agreed upon, was devised over a two-year period by a four-person group consisting of SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick. The ACC/Big Ten/Pac-12 now want more of a voice in how a 12-team playoff is built.

A possible wrinkle the group could propose would be a push for some playoff games to be controlled by conferences, not necessarily bowl games.

That would allow, say, the Big Ten to stage a playoff game at a neutral site within its footprint. That could happen inside the domed stadiums of Indianapolis and Detroit, or maybe outdoors in Cleveland or Chicago. This would replace using only traditional bowl games, which are located in the South or West.

Alliance seeks to influence TV power, halt ESPN's total control​

How the playoff's television rights would be put out for bid, how many networks would be allowed to carry the games and how the teams are selected could also be addressed. The Alliance is wary of ESPN, who has exclusive rights to all SEC games starting in 2024, also having full control of the playoff. ESPN has rights to the playoff through 2025 and an exclusive negotiating window. There has long been a strong feeling within the sport that multiple networks broadcasting the playoff would be better financially and for exposure.

Defacto 10 P5 games for most of the teams, 5/5 home/away. Can then schedule G5/FCS teams for the other two, 7 home games total. I like that!

Hiccups:
- Iowa and Iowa State annual series, does Iowa just accept that they'll be playing 11 P5 games per year?
- Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Louisville play annual series against in-state SEC schools (Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky). Do they accept that they'll just be playing 11 P5 games per year?

The 3 conferences, if they adopt this, will need to scale back to 8 conf games. IMO, success in the SEC will look like 10-2 compared to that same success in the B1G-A looking like 8-4. Scheduling harder to have more losses, well that’s one way to do it. Ya’ll know how 10-2 is ranked vs 8-4 right?

The Big Ten's top two (could see expanded CFP still have a two per conf maximum) should still have at least 10 wins in the regular (first 12 games) season.

Hope that they try to accommodate existing contracts beyond traditional series like those involving Notre Dame, at least so far as they involve the member schools. For example, our future home-and-home series with UNC and Cal could stay in place. My dream trip to Stark Vegas to play Mississippi State in 2027, however, might be in jeopardy.

I like the proposal in terms of interest. Per Herd's point in #3, it does keep a more difficult non-conference schedule compared to most SEC teams. It seems like BG10/ACC/Pac12 teams with 9 conference games would already schedule at least one Power5 non-conference game of the three; so 10 total Power-5 games. So this proposal would keep the number of Power-5 games similar. That's one more Power-5 game than many SEC teams play....but phuck the SEC.

I suspect this is really an announcement of some small things to do to start.

And they work on bigger plans as time goes on / situations allow.

That last point about ESPN is the big deal.

Hope that they try to accommodate existing contracts beyond traditional series like those involving Notre Dame, at least so far as they involve the member schools. For example, our future home-and-home series with UNC and Cal could stay in place. My dream trip to Stark Vegas to play Mississippi State in 2027, however, might be in jeopardy.
I'm sure any home/home with a P5 from any conference that has been signed before the alliance officially goes into effect will be honored.

I like the proposal in terms of interest. Per Herd's point in #3, it does keep a more difficult non-conference schedule compared to most SEC teams. It seems like BG10/ACC/Pac12 teams with 9 conference games would already schedule at least one Power5 non-conference game of the three; so 10 total Power-5 games. So this proposal would keep the number of Power-5 games similar. That's one more Power-5 game than many SEC teams play....but phuck the SEC.
Who is more likely to get the final at-large bid: a 9 win Big Ten team that played 10 P5 games, or a 9 win SEC team that played only 8 P5 games (SEC conf games) and a really weak-ass FCS team the week before their big rivalry game? Neither made it to the conf champ game (so would have to assume that it is possible a 3rd team from a conf to get in)

The 3 conferences, if they adopt this, will need to scale back to 8 conf games. IMO, success in the SEC will look like 10-2 compared to that same success in the B1G-A looking like 8-4. Scheduling harder to have more losses, well that’s one way to do it. Ya’ll know how 10-2 is ranked vs 8-4 right?
if they control the selection process for playoffs, they can weight heavy for tough scheduling, even punish for weak scheduling, like they have done with the hoops tourney

They need to just throw-out the human polls. I realize the voter-polls have a long and storied tradition in the sport. But they are total garbage. Nowadays it’s nothing more than a bunch of guys who have no idea what they are doing just pulling numbers out of their ass.

I'm sure any home/home with a P5 from any conference that has been signed before the alliance officially goes into effect will be honored.
I hope so, but in 2027, for example, honoring the existing contracts and putting this arrangement in place means Minnesota would have 4 Big Ten road games, plus a game at an ACC/Pac-12 team plus a game at Mississippi State. That means only 6 home games, which they never want, and 6 P5 road games, which is daunting. They could try to carve out exceptions so that Minnesota only plays one alliance game that season and it's at home, but that becomes a pretty big puzzle to put together when trying to accommodate the needs of all the teams in the alliance.

On the flip side, if the alliance thing really takes hold and it becomes an SEC vs. the world scenario, a true road game in SEC territory would be epic.

if they control the selection process for playoffs, they can weight heavy for tough scheduling, even punish for weak scheduling, like they have done with the hoops tourney
More than anything, this alliance points to the CFP becoming only a six-team playoff with the now-Power 4 getting automatic berths, and the other 2 needing a minimum of 9 or 10 wins over P5 opponents to qualify.

Such a rule would also essentially force the SEC to schedule games against the BigXII if they ever wanted a second team in the CFP.

I hope so, but in 2027, for example, honoring the existing contracts and putting this arrangement in place means Minnesota would have 4 Big Ten road games, plus a game at an ACC/Pac-12 team plus a game at Mississippi State. That means only 6 home games, which they never want, and 6 P5 road games, which is daunting. They could try to carve out exceptions so that Minnesota only plays one alliance game that season and it's at home, but that becomes a pretty big puzzle to put together when trying to accommodate the needs of all the teams in the alliance.

On the flip side, if the alliance thing really takes hold and it becomes an SEC vs. the world scenario, a true road game in SEC territory would be epic.
I was thinking that in such situations (Miss State in 2027), they'd allow us to treat that like one of the alliance games. So not still having two games from that, in addition.

It will be a big puzzle. Will Iowa get a permanent one game exemption, for Iowa State? It sounds like USC and Stanford will get a permanent exemption to treat Notre Dame like an ACC team.

The bigger question might be do they want one?
I surely hope so (or that Iowa State gets invited to the Big Ten). Would be a shame.

I highly doubt the four southern ACC teams are going to cancel their in-state series.

More potential wrinkles if Kansas gets invited to the Big Ten, PAC, or ACC, if Oklahoma State gets invited to the PAC or ACC, etc.

More than anything, this alliance points to the CFP becoming only a six-team playoff with the now-Power 4 getting automatic berths, and the other 2 needing a minimum of 9 or 10 wins over P5 opponents to qualify.

Such a rule would also essentially force the SEC to schedule games against the BigXII if they ever wanted a second team in the CFP.
from the story:

"In terms of the College Football Playoff, the leagues appear to prefer a 12-team field like the one that has been proposed, but the Alliance wants more of a say in how that model unfolds."

You can schedule weak in all of the FCS/G5/P5, and strong in all 3 also. Playing an ACC and P12, might be good, or it might not from a SOS standpoint. Painting all P5 games with the same brush doesn’t work.

from the story:

"In terms of the College Football Playoff, the leagues appear to prefer a 12-team field like the one that has been proposed, but the Alliance wants more of a say in how that model unfolds."
More games for more TV $$, and a more appealing split of two packages to bid on by separate TV partners. :)

The article says they all would go to 8 conference games.

Nah. Invite them to the Big Ten! :)
I don't think there will be any invites coming with this alliance. Having said that, I would be fine swapping out Nebby for ISU, but don't see anything happening.

Last edited:

They need to just throw-out the human polls. I realize the voter-polls have a long and storied tradition in the sport. But they are total garbage. Nowadays it’s nothing more than a bunch of guys who have no idea what they are doing just pulling numbers out of their ass.
They need objective criteria for playoff bids.

conference champion auto bids
A pre determined formula for calculating other bids.

from the story:

"In terms of the College Football Playoff, the leagues appear to prefer a 12-team field like the one that has been proposed, but the Alliance wants more of a say in how that model unfolds.

Everyone’s preference for 12-teams is based on preserving the CCGs without making the path to the NCG easier for a team that didn’t win a division than it is for a team that did. Expanding to 12 teams also assures that actually winning a CCG has some playoff benefit beyond just a slightly better seeding. All that makes sense.

But then they keep saying things like this…
"Some of things we've been doing to ourselves, that just needs to stop," said one high-profile official from a school within the would-be alliance. "Some of this shit, we're talking about expanding to 12 [teams]. For two teams that [go all the way], that's 17 games.”
This makes me think that they have all agreed to not admit publicly that they have thrown the expansion committee’s plan in the trash. But privately they have zero interest in implementing as it was drawn-up, and believe it is nothing more than an ESPN fantasy.

Everyone’s preference for 12-teams is based on preserving the CCGs without making the path to the NCG easier for a team that didn’t win a division than it is for a team that did. Expanding to 12 teams also assures that actually winning a CCG has some playoff benefit beyond just a slightly better seeding. All that makes sense.

But then they keep saying things like this…

This makes me think that they have all agreed to not admit publicly that they have thrown the expansion committee’s plan in the trash. But privately they have zero interest in implementing as it was drawn-up, and believe it is nothing more than an ESPN fantasy.
I think they’re going to go 8, with 5 auto bids for conference champs. And a Max of two teams per conference.

It would really crush everything the SEC was trying to do. And they will have the votes to do it. Literally all 10 conferences except the SEC would vote yes on that plan.

Defacto 10 P5 games for most of the teams, 5/5 home/away. Can then schedule G5/FCS teams for the other two, 7 home games total. I like that!

Hiccups:
- Iowa and Iowa State annual series, does Iowa just accept that they'll be playing 11 P5 games per year?
- Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Louisville play annual series against in-state SEC schools (Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky). Do they accept that they'll just be playing 11 P5 games per year?
I believe Florida and Florida State are required to play each other by state law.

Top Bottom