PAC 12 Dissolution

It also depends on where they think it rounds out.
If 20. Stanford only in if they bring notre dame. Cal no shot.

If 24. Stanford has a much better shot.
If 28. Cal has a shot.

I also think the big ten might be content at 18 until 2032 or so. It’s only 7-8 more years. And breaking up the ACC in 2032 you only have to settle a few years of their contract. Not 13

In retrospect Warren was really asleep at the wheel. The big ten should’ve offered Texas and Oklahoma full membership starting in 2024

The league would be at 20 right now and likely done.
I'd guess they did offer texas. But wanted no part of Oklahoma. And texas wouldn't go without them.

I'd guess they did offer texas. But wanted no part of Oklahoma. And texas wouldn't go without them.
Could be

If we are thinking about Florida state we should’ve just taken Oklahoma

I don't think the academics are even close.
Can we quit pretending there's a link between academics, research and athletics? This is about eyeballs, advertisers and Saturdays in the fall. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of any of the realignment crap, but we can't turn back the clock and future affiliations shouldn't be dictated by an artificial pretense of academics.

Can we quit pretending there's a link between academics, research and athletics? This is about eyeballs, advertisers and Saturdays in the fall. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of any of the realignment crap, but we can't turn back the clock and future affiliations shouldn't be dictated by an artificial pretense of academics.
It's not pretend.

It's not pretend.
Correct. The B1G (along with original member U of Chicago) is a research consortium. The research grants they pull in dwarf college sports revenue. You won't see a Boise State type school admitted ever. It does matter.

According to a new report from Brett McMurphy, Notre Dame is pushing the ACC to add Stanford.

I personally think the Big10 should grab Stanford and Cal, get to 20 teams, and call it a day. Never add Notre Dame. Don’t need the arrogant MF’ers.

Correct. The B1G (along with original member U of Chicago) is a research consortium. The research grants they pull in dwarf college sports revenue. You won't see a Boise State type school admitted ever. It does matter.
Is there a tie to athletics, though? Why would or should the research consortium exclude schools based on athletic ability? If MIT wanted in on the research consortium, would it be excluded because of athletics (or lack thereof)? Would the research consortium lose out on grants because MIT doesn't play Big 10 football? The answer is no and I doubt seriously that there is any requirement, anywhere, that ties research to athletics except in the minds of college presidents and the Big 10 shouldn't hamstring its athletic programs artificially.

My reference was why Oklahoma would never be in B1G. Probably not FSU either. But Miami and UNC yes.

Both Stanford and Cal will be in the B1G, anyone who thinks institutions with their prestige academically and financially are going to the Mountain West are delusional.

The Mountain West won't happen. It is more likely, and there is a serious push going on, that both Cal and Stanford will just drop down to lower levels. The money is big of course, but if the alternative is a small pot in a lesser conference, they can rely on their alumni and name to attractive students and pay the bills. A Harvard or Yale option is better than playing Wyoming at 10:00 pm EST.

Is there a tie to athletics, though? Why would or should the research consortium exclude schools based on athletic ability? If MIT wanted in on the research consortium, would it be excluded because of athletics (or lack thereof)? Would the research consortium lose out on grants because MIT doesn't play Big 10 football? The answer is no and I doubt seriously that there is any requirement, anywhere, that ties research to athletics except in the minds of college presidents and the Big 10 shouldn't hamstring its athletic programs artificially.

The ACC is a zombie conference. It's walking dead. The Big Ten and SEC will put it out of it's misery in due time.

You are talking about different situations. We could definitely add someone to the research consortium, and not add them in athletics.

HOWEVER, I don't think the reverse is currently true. I don't think we can add someone to the conference as a full member, and exclude them from the research consortium. Furthermore, schools asking to join the conference are ALSO looking at the benefit of joining the research consortium, and I am 100% sure that there would be schools who would not agree to join athletically, and not join the research consortium.

I love the idea of Stanford out west to lock up the San Fran/Central California TV market. They've had some success in the past and being in the Big Ten has a chance to elevate them in the future. In my mind, it's sort of like a Rutgers move. A lot of good arguments not to do this too, of course, but I just like growth in pretty much all things so that's my bias. Plus, you now have a five team division out there. You no longer need Cal.

I like the idea of grabbing Virginia or North Carolina out east to balance things out, but that might be a while to come together. They fit a slow geographical growth plan without really ticking off the SEC. They have large, growing populations which is good long term vs. many current Big Ten states.

Continuing to move south in the future has its benefits both from a population growth and athletes perspective, but its hard to argue geographically and gets into the SEC footprint. I know, I know, geography no longer matters!!!

This sucks for teams like Virginia Tech & NC State, but this is just sports so whatever! If the Gophers eventually get kicked out of our super conference, I'll still watch. Maybe we can add more regional rivalries at that point like with NDSU and SDSU and be more like the old WCHA in hockey. Not ideal, but a potential silver lining? I have a lot of friends from that area so it would selfishly be fun for me and a ton of alums from those schools are in the Twin Cities. Plus, we might actually have a chance to win our league:) It seems like most Gopher hockey fans liked us in the WCHA more than our current Big Ten hockey league. Am I right? I'm not a hockey fan.

On an even more unrelated side note (yes, I know I'm ticking some of you off so just skip my post), in another thread, we were arguing about a potential minor brain drain from here to the best-of-the-best schools mostly on the coasts. It's useful to remember the Twin Cities is the largest northerly metropolitan area west of Chicago basically until you hit the west coast. A lot of very smart, talented people from the more rural areas around us come to the Twin Cities to work and go to school. We really are fortunate regionally up here for many reasons and our area is a magnet in some respects.

You are correct that neither Florida state or Oklahoma fit the profile and both are as good as Nebraska
"You are correct that neither Florida state or Oklahoma fit the profile and both are as bad good as Nebraska"

"You are correct that neither Florida state or Oklahoma fit the profile and both are as bad good as Nebraska"
I’m also often confused about when to use good or bad. They just seem so interchangeable.

I recieved this email yesterday from the Oregon State Beavers mailing list (not an alumn, just a ticket buyer), and thought it may be of some interest as it discusses keeping up the fan interest so OSU remains relevant for any future opportunities (paraphrasing here).

BEAVER NATION

We know you are eager for an announcement on our path forward
regarding conference affiliation. We continue to aggressively pursue all
opportunities and options, with the interest of our student-athletes at
the forefront of our minds. We have been and will continue to work
tirelessly to chart the best path forward for Oregon State Athletics.

While Beaver Nation awaits this news, our
staff, student-athletes and coaches are
focused on one thing - the upcoming 2023-24
seasons. With the eyes of the nation upon us,
we have an opportunity to unite, fight and
show everyone what Oregon State fans
already know: Beaver Nation, like our
student-athletes, always shows up and never
backs down.

Alums, donors and fans share a passion for a
common cause that brings people together
like nothing else and have a loyal, unwavering
commitment to the Orange and Black. Proud
alums and current students come from every
corner of the state, the nation and around the
world to support our programs

Twelve of our teams advanced to postseason
competition last year but they are not content.
They have worked hard all offseason and
through the start of fall practices to make
Beaver Nation proud. They need Beaver Nation
to rise together, shoulder-to-shoulder,
supporting all our student-athletes and to not
back down to any opponent.

The traditions, both old and new, that have
been the rallying cry for Oregon State will
persist. Beaver Nation will erupt for our team
entrances, roar with the chainsaw, clap along
with the fight song and sing along with Miley.
The cherished memories that generations of
Beaver families and friends have made in
Corvallis cannot be duplicated anywhere else.

The time is now, Beaver Nation, to fill all our athletic venues, every game
this season! Invite a friend who has never experienced a gameday! Fly
your orange and black flags! Wear your Oregon State gear and show
your pride for the Oregon State Beavers!

GO BEAVS!

after all of the craziness of the weekend where the Pac-12 seemingly fell apart, things have fallen into a very murky phase.

there is a lot of rumor and speculation out there, but very little substance that I can see. Stanford and Cal to the ACC seems off for now, with at least 4 ACC schools seeming to be strongly in opposition. (which is enough to block any expansion)

so now a lot of the talk is back to the Mountain West and the AAC. the idea that keeps getting floated is that the remaining Pac-4 would somehow manage to 'recruit' enough teams from the MWC or the AAC in order to re-populate the PAC. technically, the PAC schools have until next year to find a solution, but realistically, if they want any kind of TV deal, they need an answer soon.

after all of the craziness of the weekend where the Pac-12 seemingly fell apart, things have fallen into a very murky phase.

there is a lot of rumor and speculation out there, but very little substance that I can see. Stanford and Cal to the ACC seems off for now, with at least 4 ACC schools seeming to be strongly in opposition. (which is enough to block any expansion)

so now a lot of the talk is back to the Mountain West and the AAC. the idea that keeps getting floated is that the remaining Pac-4 would somehow manage to 'recruit' enough teams from the MWC or the AAC in order to re-populate the PAC. technically, the PAC schools have until next year to find a solution, but realistically, if they want any kind of TV deal, they need an answer soon.
The scuttle butt is that certain AAC teams - Rice, Tulane, SMU, and a few choice MWC teams with the hope for $10 million per year in TV.

Maybe a dumb question but at what point does the Pac10 cease to be a P5 conference? Even if they merge with the Mountain West or AAC they’d mostly be compromised of G5 teams. If they dissolve entirely and the teams move to a G5 conference what would make that conference a P5 conference?

Maybe a dumb question but at what point does the Pac10 cease to be a P5 conference? Even if they merge with the Mountain West or AAC they’d mostly be compromised of G5 teams. If they dissolve entirely and the teams move to a G5 conference what would make that conference a P5 conference?
They will the instant 2024 hits and all the schools leaving for other conferences officially leave (so, probably like the end of the 2023-2024 school year when the last sports have finished).

Nothing can save the conference from not being P5 anymore. Starting next year we will have 4 power conferences. The only question remaining is can the 4 leftover schools find their way into one of the remaining P4 conferences or do they drop into a G5 conference?

If the Gophers eventually get kicked out of our super conference, I'll still watch. Maybe we can add more regional rivalries at that point like with NDSU and SDSU and be more like the old WCHA in hockey. Not ideal, but a potential silver lining? I have a lot of friends from that area so it would selfishly be fun for me and a ton of alums from those schools are in the Twin Cities.
That's a joke. It would be minor league.

The PAC-4 just hired Oliver Luck as a consultant to figure out what the next steps should be. This is a solid hire. I know Oliver, and he's an outside-the-box thinker. Nobody is saying now that the league will survive and grow for certain, but their chances went up definitely- they are not zero.

The PAC-4 just hired Oliver Luck as a consultant to figure out what the next steps should be. This is a solid hire. I know Oliver, and he's an outside-the-box thinker. Nobody is saying now that the league will survive and grow for certain, but their chances went up definitely- they are not zero.
I read some where that the Pac-? Has about $100 million in the bank. I’m not sure how valid the source was, but that kind of money gives them options. All they need to do is attract 6 new members and see if they can get 15 - 20 million per team in a new media deal, and they’ll be better off than joining the Mountain West. Heck, they could get $10 mil per team and still be better off than in the MW. The MW is in the middle of a 6 year, $270 million deal for 13 schools. That’s about $3.5 million annually per school.

My reference was why Oklahoma would never be in B1G. Probably not FSU either. But Miami and UNC yes.
Just FYI that FSU is ranked #55 by US News and World report this year. Tied in fact with Rutgers, Miami and Washington (who the B1G just let in). Minnesota is 62. So it’s not like they’re slouches academically.

I read some where that the Pac-? Has about $100 million in the bank. I’m not sure how valid the source was, but that kind of money gives them options. All they need to do is attract 6 new members and see if they can get 15 - 20 million per team in a new media deal, and they’ll be better off than joining the Mountain West. Heck, they could get $10 mil per team and still be better off than in the MW. The MW is in the middle of a 6 year, $270 million deal for 13 schools. That’s about $3.5 million annually per school.
I’m not sure how they’d be better than the mountain west. With new members (likely mountain west, aac or other g5 teams) they’d be pretty much exactly the same as the mountain west because most of the teams come from a g5 conference.

Top Bottom