PAC 12 Dissolution

alaska

Reaction score
Its happening....with Arizona about to be a lock to the BIG12...who is the next to defect....?

Colo Az az st to big 12
Wash Oregon cal Stanford to the big.

The rest make a merger with mountain west

I'd hate to be a Minnesota type team stuck in the ACC or the Pac-12.

I feel like the best case scenario would have been the downfall of the Big-12. Being in the middle of the country.....the ACC and the Pac-12 could have picked it apart to keep membership levels intact as the more desirable programs fled.

What happened to the time Kevin Warren stood before media on tv and said the PAC 12 and BIG would not pillage each other and announced an alliance when Texas and OK announced their move to the SEC?

What happened to the time Kevin Warren stood before media on tv and said the PAC 12 and BIG would not pillage each other and announced an alliance when Texas and OK announced their move to the SEC?
The PAC-12 leadership sank that alliance by not convincing the schools to have an annual B1G PAC-12 football challenge.

The PAC-12 leadership sank that alliance by not convincing the schools to have an annual B1G PAC-12 football challenge.
And USC/UCLA asked to join which was a surprise

at one point not too long ago the Big 12 seemed dead and buried (at least in terms of football). Now they are growing and it is the Pac 12 that is falling apart.

In the meantime the Big Ten just keeps growing. Haven't even seen USC and UCLA in the conference and it looks like a couple of more teams are on their way.

Such a weird complicated mess the college sports landscape has become.

It’ll be fun watching Utah in the playoffs every year while blue bloods beat each other down.

But the B1G & SEC blue bloods will be stuffing their pockets with cash. And in college football is more about money than it is about winning games.

But the B1G & SEC blue bloods will be stuffing their pockets with cash. And in college football is more about money than it is about winning games.

I saw a tweet from a media person, quoting an unnamed B1G official who said that the TV networks were basically driving the addition of OR and Wash. while I don't necessarily buy that 100%, I did see a report that games involving Washington and Oregon have consistently received the highest TV ratings out of the Pac-10. (the chart did not include USC and UCLA - it was just the 10 'remaining' Pac-12 teams.)

so TV markets and ratings had a lot to do with this, along with Fox wanting to grab desirable TV markets.

I saw a tweet from a media person, quoting an unnamed B1G official who said that the TV networks were basically driving the addition of OR and Wash. while I don't necessarily buy that 100%, I did see a report that games involving Washington and Oregon have consistently received the highest TV ratings out of the Pac-10. (the chart did not include USC and UCLA - it was just the 10 'remaining' Pac-12 teams.)

so TV markets and ratings had a lot to do with this, along with Fox wanting to grab desirable TV markets.

I think it was a fear based move by the B1G. They didn't add Oregon & Washington because they wanted to as much as they added them because they didn't want them joining the Big 12 or SEC. If they really wanted them, they would have invited them when they brought in USC and UCLA.

The Big 12 is becoming a national conference (albeit with lesser quality programs) stretching from Utah to the mid Atlantic. I think the B1G wanted to limit this.

I don't think the SEC gives a shit outside of their own region. Which is where the B1G made a mistake. Had O&W joined the Big 12 the B1G could have still taken them if needed later.

This addition gives the B1G the northern west coast, southern west coast, & northern east coast. I believe FSU is their next target so the B1G footprint will crisscross the country.

I do believe the move really hurts programs like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, & Michigan State. Their place on the B1G hierarchy is at stake here.

I think it was a fear based move by the B1G. They didn't add Oregon & Washington because they wanted to as much as they added them because they didn't want them joining the Big 12 or SEC. If they really wanted them, they would have invited them when they brought in USC and UCLA.

The Big 12 is becoming a national conference (albeit with lesser quality programs) stretching from Utah to the mid Atlantic. I think the B1G wanted to limit this.

I don't think the SEC gives a shit outside of their own region. Which is where the B1G made a mistake. Had O&W joined the Big 12 the B1G could have still taken them if needed later.

This addition gives the B1G the northern west coast, southern west coast, & northern east coast. I believe FSU is their next target so the B1G footprint will crisscross the country.

I do believe the move really hurts programs like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, & Michigan State. Their place on the B1G hierarchy is at stake here.

I also think some of this has to do with the B1G changing commissioners from Warren to Pettiti. I have seen several people online saying that the TV networks had issues dealing with Warren. Supposedly, having Warren leave made expansion more likely, because Pettiti has good relationships with a lot of TV people.

Mountain West

Mountain

Oregon State
Washington state
Air Force
boise State
Wyoming
Colorado State
New Mexico
Utah State

West
Hawaii
San Diego State
San Jose State
Fresno State
Cal
Stanford
Nevada
UNLV

Or

North
Oregon State
Washington State
boise state
Wyoming
San Jose State
Stanford
Cal
Fresno State

South
San Diego State
Hawaii
Nevada
UNLV
Utah State
Colorado State
Air Force
New Mexico

Mountain West

Mountain

Oregon State
Washington state
Air Force
boise State
Wyoming
Colorado State
New Mexico
Utah State

West
Hawaii
San Diego State
San Jose State
Fresno State
Cal
Stanford
Nevada
UNLV
This isn’t a bad conference.

This isn’t a bad conference.
Not at all. I think it’s probably number 5 but probably closer to 6 than 4.
It could also position it to be #4 if the ACC is carved up by the big ten and SEC

Especially as the American has just lost 4 of its top brands.
Sun belt has potential but not there yet.
MAC, conf USA not there yet.

Strange there will only be 9 conferences.

Last edited:

If we're doing 18 may as well be 20. Big Ten needs to add Stanford tomorrow.

If Notre Dame wants in this is last chance. Cal makes 20 assuming they are still out.

If Notre Dame wants in this is last chance. Cal makes 20 assuming they are still out.
I think Irish has to make a decision soon. ACC is the next conference to implode. FSU is engaging a wall street investment bank to find a way out of ACC. sec can't be caught flat footed, so I think it goes after FSU and Clemson soon.

I don’t think there is any reason at all for the Big10 to immediately make a move on Stanford and/or Cal at this time. Unless the Big12 were to approach them, where are those two going to go? The Big10 should sit tight right now at 18 teams and see what happens with the ACC. If that league were to suddenly have teams start to defect thru some legal activity, there are going to be bigger fish in the sea than Stanford and Cal. And I’m not talking about Florida State and Clemson. They will go to the SEC if it gets to that, and they are not AAU schools either, so there’s that too.

I don’t think there is any reason at all for the Big10 to immediately make a move on Stanford and/or Cal at this time. Unless the Big12 were to approach them, where are those two going to go? The Big10 should sit tight right now at 18 teams and see what happens with the ACC. If that league were to suddenly have teams start to defect thru some legal activity, there are going to be bigger fish in the sea than Stanford and Cal. And I’m not talking about Florida State and Clemson. They will go to the SEC if it gets to that, and they are not AAU schools either, so there’s that too.
Which bigger fish are you talking about?

Which bigger fish are you talking about?
Fish bigger than Stanford and cal:

North Carolina
Virginia
Georgia tech
Notre Dame

Fish probably bigger than Stanford IMO
Florida state
Clemson

Finish possibly bigger than stanford but I don’t think so
Virginia tech
Louisville
NC State
Miami
Pitt
Kansas
Arizona state
Utah
Colorado

I think those first 6 I mentioned are biggest targets.
i think Stanford probably gets the call over anyone in that bottom group although if dissolving the ACC is necessary those in the bottom group could jump them as part of a group.

Fish bigger than Stanford and cal:

North Carolina
Virginia
Georgia tech
Notre Dame

Fish probably bigger than Stanford IMO
Florida state
Clemson

Finish possibly bigger than stanford but I don’t think so
Virginia tech
Louisville
NC State
Miami
Pitt
Kansas
Arizona state
Utah
Colorado

I think those first 6 I mentioned are biggest targets.
i think Stanford probably gets the call over anyone in that bottom group although if dissolving the ACC is necessary those in the bottom group could jump them as part of a group.

How on any planet is Georgia Tech (or Virginia) a bigger fish than Stanford? At anything?

People are deeply underselling how awesome Stanford was in football just a few years ago. It's the best all-sports program in the NCAA by a good and shockingly consistent margin (26 of 29 years). And it's the most prestigious academic school in America that plays FBS football.

If we're going to zoom in on the last few years like we seem to be doing with Stanford, Georgia Tech is a couple rungs below the Gophers.

As an alum of Minnesota, the academic institution, I would be deeply disappointed if our regents considered any of these schools, bar possibly Notre Dame, as a bigger get than Stanford.

Top Bottom