PA announcer saying "Rah" at the end of the rouser

Certainly didn't find it annoying. They've been doing it at hockey games for years.

I actually really like it, AF was my first game, so when I heard it, it was new to me, and I decided that it was cool after thinking about it.

Pete, you're in the substantial minority on this one. "Rah!" works great after the Rouser.

The rouser ends with the word Gophers. Some stupid people say Rah at the end, but they should stop because it's stupid.

I would miss it if it were gone. I've never known anything different...which leads me to wonder, how long has the "Rah!" been said at the end of the Rouser and how did it get started?

Rah! is awesome.
Our PA guy is absolutely great. I'm not positive, but I think its a volunteer gig, so we should all just say a big THANK YOU and go about our business.

p.s. Rah.

Jamie is awesome, and I for one love the RAH! at the end of the Rouser. I thought I had heard people used to do it years ago anyway.

The rouser ends with the word Gophers. Some stupid people say Rah at the end, but they should stop because it's stupid.

I think everyone gets that. Its an addition that the announcer says that many seem to like.

I have always liked the pa announcer's "rah" at the end of the rouser and I always will. The existance of this thread proves to me there is at least one person out there to disapprove of every single detail of Gopher football.

If saying Rah was a tradition of some sort, you might have a point, but it is recent addition and I think it sounds corny at best.

They've been doing this at games at the dome for at least a few years, it's just that the PA system sucked and you couldn't hear him very well.

If saying Rah was a tradition of some sort, you might have a point, but it is recent addition and I think it sounds corny at best.

Jamie has been doing it for at least 10 years as far as I know - hockey and then football when he took that over.

Jamie has been doing it for at least 10 years as far as I know - hockey and then football when he took that over.

There has been a rah at the end of the rouser ever since I have sang it, it is not new.

It only started recently. Before that it didn't exist. SInce when does a PA guy have the power to add words to the end of the Rouser?

Our PA does a great job. What's his full name/what's his story?

how old are u?

When's the last time you've been to a hockey/basketball/football/ game? I'm guessing this weekend was your first in decades hutchster. I've been a Gopher fan for 28 years and obviously been to many more games then you.

It only started recently when Jamie took over football. Before that it didn't exist. SInce when does a PA guy have the power to add words to the end of the Rouser? Someday I'll become the PA announcer and say FU Jamie at the end and it will become an instant traiditon.

People seem to like it - there is always room for fans to be ENTHUIASTIC about something; and frankly, "Rah" at the end simply isn't new.

Besides, not everything has to be just like it was in the 30's and 40's, bud. And I'd certainly like to see a new era of Gopher football BEGIN, after having experienced very few good teams in my 35-year lifetime - most of those 35 years have been filled with bad football. I'd like to see that new era ushered in!

By the way, your attitude is probably similar to those grumpy ol' cankers who, when the first Rah Rah Rah for Ski U Mah cheer was invented, crossed their arms and snarled. Nothing can become tradition without a start.

My personal experience of Gopher sports, football in particular, is generally of old people who sit on their hands and yell at others who show any enthusiasm for the game; a local media who pays little attention; and also of an apathetic student body, whose significant Wisconsin kid contingent would rather cheer for Badgers than their own school because, well, Gopher football just isn't that exciting. NOW it is!! Wake up and join the fun!

Rah

If i recall correctly rah was used 40 years ago. Maybe it stopped for awhile but if its there --its the way I grew up.

It only started recently. Before that it didn't exist. SInce when does a PA guy have the power to add words to the end of the Rouser?

The "rah" has been added to the Rouser since at least 1987, when I was introduced to it as a Freshman at the U.

My understanding is that the students added it way back in the day, and only Students and Alumni are to add the rah at the end, but I can only vouch for it being around since 1987.

The announcer's name is Jamie Verbrugge. He also does the hockey games. I'm not sure how long he's been doing football and hockey but I know it has been at least since 2003 when I started going to both regularly. The "Rah" is one of the things that he really likes about the Rouser.

The concept of the Rah as recent is false as my Grandfather who was around when the Gophers won National Championships in the 40's used to sing the rouser to me when I was a kid back in the 60's and 70's with the Rah at the end. It has actually been around along time.

Actually it has been around for awhile, the band used to do it (before my time in the band). Then, it kind of died out, Jaime brought it back and started doing it at hockey.

Our PA does a great job. What's his full name/what's his story?

I like the "RAH" at the end of the Rouser and yell it everytime.

Jamie Verbrugge does the announcing. He did (and might still do) the announcing for wrestling and is also the announcer at men's hockey games. He often does the WCHA Final 5 (or portions of it) and also announced the NCAA Frozen Four in 2002 when it was at the X.

I'm pretty sure he is a SCSU grad, but is a lifelong Gopher fan.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20090913/NEWS01/109130013&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Jamie "retired" from his hockey announcing duties for a season a few years back, and I believe gopherpucklive.com had an article where they had stories from him. I think I remember reading that the "RAH" used to always be yelled at the end of the Rouser when he was growing up, but then went away over time. Jamie has said it since that is what he grew up with, and it used to be a cheer that was always done after the Rouser.

how old are u?

I'm 25 and been out of school a year and they said it after the rouser at hockey games and at the dome, my 24 year old wife also knows they say RAH and she doesn't really pay attention at sporting events.

Top Bottom