P5 Covid-19 Postponed Games List

Definitely will be an interesting game to watch. Chyst finally moving to a more balanced offense with the QB to do so, or was Illinois game a fluke?
It’s hard to say how good Mertz is.
Mertz will destroy any team that decides to not cover the wideouts and tight ends at all.

most schools will employ the strategy of trying to cover them.

If Mertz and Wolf are still out, we'll get to see whether their pass heavy Illinois game was pass heavy because Mertz was so good, or if it was pass heavy because their run game is questionable.

EDIT: I'm leaning on the first one, by the way. Hard to think that Wisconsin would suddenly not have a running game after all these years.
It was pass heavy because Illinois sucked

It wasn’t pass heavy.

they passed the ball 21 times and ran it 54

The 21 passes went really well because on about 14 of them Illinois didn’t even attempt to cover the receivers/tight ends

Ah -- to clarify: I'm assuming neither Mertz or Wolf (backup) will be available for the game. If they are, then yes definitely they'll use the offense like against Illinois.
You mean run it 75% of the time?

It was pass heavy because Illinois sucked

It wasn’t pass heavy.

they passed the ball 21 times and ran it 54

The 21 passes went really well because on about 14 of them Illinois didn’t even attempt to cover the receivers/tight ends
Wisconsin averaged 233.7 rushing yards a game in 2019, vs Illinois this year they ran for 182 yards. Odd to have what seems to be a below average running game vs Illinois even with Mertz lighting up the passing game, no?

Wisconsin averaged 233.7 rushing yards a game in 2019, vs Illinois this year they ran for 182 yards. Odd to have what seems to be a below average running game vs Illinois even with Mertz lighting up the passing game, no?

Could be wrong (probably will be) but at the moment they just don't see to have the heir apparent to Taylor. Noticed it last year that for the first time in a long long time you couldn't look at their roster and say who the next great RB was going to be. Usually it was very obvious. I just don't know if they have that guy right now.

For sure odd by Wisconsin standards.
I’m just saying Wisconsin playing the worst pass defense in the history of man kind doesn’t automatically make Wisconsin a pass first effective passing offense.

For sure odd by Wisconsin standards.
I’m just saying Wisconsin playing the worst pass defense in the history of man kind doesn’t automatically make Wisconsin a pass first effective passing offense.
Fair

If Mertz and Wolf are still out, we'll get to see whether their pass heavy Illinois game was pass heavy because Mertz was so good, or if it was pass heavy because their run game is questionable.

EDIT: I'm leaning on the first one, by the way. Hard to think that Wisconsin would suddenly not have a running game after all these years.
It's their huge, talented OL and blocking schemes.

Maybe Illinois had 9 men in the box and bit on play-action? It might explain why their receivers/TEs were so wide open on some plays?

It still means more though, right?
When nobody is getting paid and people are at the end of a season that they are ready to end...there is very little incentive for a college kid to sacrifice personal enjoyment to play (or backup) in a football game.

I suspect we will see this with bottom half teams in every conference towards the end of the season.

It is tough to keep an entire organization in perfect lock step and just one person contracting it could end up running rampant through the whole thing

SEC Games canceled so far:
Missouri vs Vanderbilt
LSU vs Florida
Alabama vs LSU
Texas A&M vs Tennessee
Georgia at Missouri
Auburn vs Mississippi State

Games missed by team:
LSU: 2
Missouri: 2
Vanderbilt: 1
Florida: 1
Alabama: 1
Texas A&M: 1
Tennessee: 1
Georgia: 1
Auburn: 1
Mississippi State: 1

The more games that get canceled, the harder it is going to be to schedule the make-up games even with the built in buffer the SEC has before their Championship game. Calling it now, more games will be cancelled and not rescheduled in the SEC than in the B1G.

When nobody is getting paid and people are at the end of a season that they are ready to end...there is very little incentive for a college kid to sacrifice personal enjoyment to play (or backup) in a football game.

I suspect we will see this with bottom half teams in every conference towards the end of the season.

It is tough to keep an entire organization in perfect lock step and just one person contracting it could end up running rampant through the whole thing

I wonder, has Scott Frost’s team quit on him yet this year?

Lot of games wiped out for this weekend due to Covid. Not a good sign in regards to trying to get through the rest of the fall season.

I try to be a glass half-full kind of dude - so looking at the games we do get in as a bonus this year.

Also, who knows?? I was dubious about baseball getting through their season and it ended up happening.

Not ideal, but some CFB is much better than no CFB at all.

Minnesota high school football is shot.

Hopefully major college survives, for whatever games we can get.

NFL is spending so much money and putting such severe restrictions on social interaction, players are defacto bubble, they'll make it.

Add Utah-UCLA and ASU-Cal to the canceled list. UCLA will play Cal Sunday.

The full list of games affected so far this week:
  • Ohio at Miami (Ohio) -- Canceled
  • UAB at UTEP -- Canceled
  • Ole Miss at No. 5 Texas A&M -- Postponed
  • Georgia Tech at No. 12 Miami -- Postponed
  • Charlotte at No. 15 Marshall -- Postponed
  • Arizona State at Colorado -- Canceled
  • UL Monroe at Louisiana Tech -- Canceled
  • Wake Forest at Duke -- Postponed
  • Navy at University of South Florida -- Postponed
  • Houston at Southern Methodist University -- Postponed
  • Central Arkansas at Louisiana-Lafayette -- Canceled
  • Utah State at Wyoming -- Canceled
  • Texas at Kansas -- Postponed
  • UNLV at Colorado State -- Postponed

Last edited:

As of this moment, Indiana - Ohio St and NW - Wisconsin are still on.

Could be the defacto division championship games.

The Maryland football program canceled Saturday’s home game against Big Ten rival Michigan State, citing an increase Thursday in the number of players and staff members who have tested positive for the coronavirus.

The school announced that 15 more players and seven staff members had tested positive with every individual currently in designated isolation spaces. One of those staff members is head coach Mike Locksley, who said he began to experience common cold-like symptoms Monday night and self-reported those symptoms to Dr. Yvette Rooks, assistant director at the University Health Center.

“It is a surprise because I tried to practice safety measures – wearing a mask, social distancing,” Locksley said. “We’re just continuing to try to fight this thing and move forward as best we can.”

It’s hard to say how good Mertz is.
Mertz will destroy any team that decides to not cover the wideouts and tight ends at all.

most schools will employ the strategy of trying to cover them.
Seems pretty good through two games. Saturday should be a good test. Chryst may have his perfect QB.

Wisc is going to pound the rock on the ground, like they do. Mertz just has to make enough "good" throws off play-action and the occasional drop back.

Same philosophy that NDSU does. Same philosophy enjoying success by the Vikings right now, with Cook healthy.

How in the hell can we get some games cancelled? Seriously, drum up some bogus tests or whatever.

Top Bottom