P.J.FLECK to Purdue......

I really hope it's not true. If it is, that's 3 B1G programs in the same vicinity as the Gophers that hired coaches with a better resume than Claeys over the past 2 years. Maryland, Rutgers, and Purdue.

Maybe one day one of those three will beat the Gophers.

Wonder if Coyle reached out to Fleck's people at all? You think Tracy Claeys could go 13-0 or 12-1 in the MAC with wins like Western Michigan had this year?

Didn't 6-6 FCS Illinois State match Western Michigan's best win this year?

Wonder if Coyle reached out to Fleck's people at all? You think Tracy Claeys could go 13-0 or 12-1 in the MAC with wins like Western Michigan had this year? And build the program like Fleck did? Can't believe Purdue is going to get that guy, if it's true (and I think it might be). I think he likes the small town. We probably couldn't have got him anyhow.

Nothing is final of course but all signs and indicators point towards Fleck to Purdue. Many of the other targets would have been hired by now given that their regular seasons are over - or they are currently unemployed (Les Miles). My "sources" tell me it's eerily quiet around Purdue and they are just waiting until the MAC title game is over this weekend. They got their guy and are politely honoring WMU's request to keep it quiet.

Of course all bets are off when programs like Baylor or Oregon possibly come calling - but I've been told Fleck prefers to stay in the Midwest for now. Despite how horse$hit Purdue has been at football it's still a Big Ten job and there are not a lot of openings right now. Purdue will be prying open the wallet big time. Sure - Fleck could stay at WMU another year - but who knows what will happen. He may have a perfect storm this year and his stock has peaked. Strike while the iron is hot just like Tyus Jones did.

Other coaches that have interviewed or shown interest. If Fleck falls through it will be one of the top 3 listed below.

Jeff Brohm - Western Kentucky
Craig Bohl - Wyoming
Troy Calhoun - Air Force
Brock Spack - Illinois State
Skip Holtz - Louisiana Tech
Greg Olson - recently fired Jacksonville OC
Les Miles - fired form LSU of course

I know there are further back then the last 15, but worth mentioning?

Add the late Terry Hoepner: Miami of Ohio-> Indiana University

Add the late Bo Schembechler: Miami of Ohio-> Michigan

Add the late Woody Hayes: Miami of Ohio-> Thee Ohio State University (or Ahia State if you are south of Columbus).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_of_Coaches

You forgot Ara Parseghian who, like Hayes and Schembechler, jumped from Miami of Ohio to the old Big Ten and Northwestern. Of course, Pareseghian jumped from Northwestern to Notre Dame, where he was extremely successful.

You forgot Ara Parseghian who, like Hayes and Schembechler, jumped from Miami of Ohio to the old Big Ten and Northwestern. Of course, Pareseghian jumped from Northwestern to Notre Dame, where he was extremely successful.

Oops! Major oversight! Noticed there is a Narduzzi on that list as well. Wonder if Pat Narduzzi is related to him?

He beat NW at NW and crushed Illinois this year with his recruits. He'll out recruit this staff. That would be a great hire for Purdue in my opinion. Wonder who we'll get next year?
Aren't there like a dozen guys on the roster who took Gopher offers over Western Michigan? Not sure how great of a recruiter Fleck is if he couldn't convince kids not to go to a school where it's always below zero and knife-wielding polar bears roam the streets.

Oregon fired Helfrich.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For Fleck it will come down to who he hires for coordinators. He worked three years for Greg Schiano. Could he pull him away from tOSU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't there like a dozen guys on the roster who took Gopher offers over Western Michigan? Not sure how great of a recruiter Fleck is if he couldn't convince kids not to go to a school where it's always below zero and knife-wielding polar bears roam the streets.

He is an incredible recruiter and is landing 3 star talent on a regular basis now. 19 of his 26 recruits were 3 star talent last year.
Insight into his recruiting begins at 7:26 of this clip:
https://youtu.be/OBlN4u9Vx5Y

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This guy is a winner.

He'll would have been excellent for the Gophers. He counts Jerry Kill as one person who has influenced him as a coach.

For Fleck it will come down to who he hires for coordinators. He worked three years for Greg Schiano. Could he pull him away from tOSU?

You're joking right?

Glad we hired TC. Wouldn't have got Fleck even if we hadn't. Still, for years delusional posters on here will talk about him like he asked to come here and we turned him away.

Glad we hired TC. Wouldn't have got Fleck even if we hadn't. Still, for years delusional posters on here will talk about him like he asked to come here and we turned him away.

Doogie say's otherwise...

Fleck is the hot candidate who is going to Purdue? Let me get this right, he's going to turn down numerous better jobs for Purdue?

Either the other schools aren't calling or he ain't going to Purdue.

or he puts himself and family first.

My thing is, did our AD even entertain Fleck? I think Fleck is a rare commodity, we'll find out I guess. If he goes to Purdue, I gotta believe we would of at least had a chance. Maybe he wants small town. I think Oregon would be wise to hire that guy, although he seems to want a lot of control and maybe wants to take his time to get to the big time program, ala Oregon. He certainly doesn't seem like the type of guy to compromise his principles. Impressive video. Spoofin is right, people will lament that we never went after him if he turns out to be very successful these next few years. I guess we'll never know? Maybe it will come out someday.

Don't the Gophers have a coaching staff filled with guys like that?

Don't we all wish. I'm sure any one of them could do what Fleck did at Western Michigan, LMFAO

Fleck is the hot candidate who is going to Purdue?

I think that line kinda makes no sense.

If Fleck goes to Prudue either he's kinda crazy... or he's not "the hot candidate". A hot candidate should have way better options than Prudue.

Fleck is the hot candidate who is going to Purdue? Let me get this right, he's going to turn down numerous better jobs for Purdue?

Either the other schools aren't calling or he ain't going to Purdue.

or he puts himself and family first.

What are these numerous better jobs? Houston, OK. Oregon, yes but I kinda doubt they chase Fleck. Baylor? Would he really want to attempt to clean up that mess?

Don't we all wish. I'm sure any one of them could do what Fleck did at Western Michigan, LMFAO

A win over a Big Ten team and a regular season MAC title with an 8-0 league record. Then once the coaching staff leaves, a team made up mostly of their recruits reaches the Orange Bowl the following year? Gee, just imagine.

A win over a Big Ten team and a regular season MAC title with an 8-0 league record. Then once the coaching staff leaves, a team made up mostly of their recruits reaches the Orange Bowl the following year? Gee, just imagine.

Too Good. Love this post. Well done.

My thing is, did our AD even entertain Fleck? I think Fleck is a rare commodity, we'll find out I guess. If he goes to Purdue, I gotta believe we would of at least had a chance. Maybe he wants small town. I think Oregon would be wise to hire that guy, although he seems to want a lot of control and maybe wants to take his time to get to the big time program, ala Oregon. He certainly doesn't seem like the type of guy to compromise his principles. Impressive video. Spoofin is right, people will lament that we never went after him if he turns out to be very successful these next few years. I guess we'll never know? Maybe it will come out someday.

Why did you stop using your other screen name and start using this one?

Dude, you are absolutely killing it lately. Love it.

Was it Kill's first year or second year here NIU made the Orange Bowl, either was that main contributers would have been Kill's recruits

Was it Kill's first year or second year here NIU made the Orange Bowl, either was that main contributers would have been Kill's recruits

It was Kill's second year. NUI went 46-10 in the four years after Kill and staff left. Kill built a great program and had the top recruiting classes in the MAC. PJ Fleck was on that staff from 2007-2009 and served as Recruiting Coordinator in 2009.

NIU is 13-13 that last two years since Kill's players have all gone through the program. Those type of players are now at Western Michigan.

Top Bottom