P.J.FLECK to Purdue......

Or maybe Brady Hoke to Michigan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He went to San Diego State first and was 9-4 in his second year. Then got the Michigan job. You never know how things will play out, but I would err on a high energy, young, hungry coach.

Guess we'll have to see who Purdue hires and where this guy ends up, since he's obviously outgrown WMI in your estimation. My guess is they hire someone we're not talking much about, someone like Pelini.

I'm now hearing that Jeff Brohm from WKU is the front runner at Purdue. Fleck had interest initially but better jobs have since opened up. Who knows. Purdue has done a decent job not leaking anything during this process.

I'm now hearing that Jeff Brohm from WKU is the front runner at Purdue. Fleck had interest initially but better jobs have since opened up. Who knows. Purdue has done a decent job not leaking anything during this process.

GuessFlywheel's Rat was wrong. It's the right move for Fleck. Purdue needs a guy that is more of a tactician, who can recruit to his system, not a motivational speaker at the mercy of his coordinators and coaching staff

GuessFlywheel's Rat was wrong. It's the right move for Fleck. Purdue needs a guy that is more of a tactician, who can recruit to his system, not a motivational speaker at the mercy of his coordinators and coaching staff

Plus Fleck already has a better job than Purdue in terms of everything besides salary. It's easy for me to say because it's not my bank account, but I'd much rather stay at a place where I'm beloved, where I've made it my town and my program, and I can be there practically as long as I want, than take the big payday and have a 95% probability of being fired within 5 years. Seriously, Purdue is a coaching graveyard. If I were him I'd continue coaching there until I could get a job worth leaving for - one where I could keep winning and stay employed in addition to the bigger paycheck. Houston is a better job than Purdue right now.

I'd argue most, or all coaches are at the mercy of their staff anyhow.

Either way I don't think fit matters when it comes to Purdue. Fleck can just get a better job than Purdue so it's a non issue.

Rupert is never wrong - just ask him

Comical. PJF didn't have interest initially until better jobs opened up - he leaked statement of false interest so better jobs would open up. Ruppert and his Rat just don't get it.

I'd argue most, or all coaches are at the mercy of their staff anyhow.

Either way I don't think fit matters when it comes to Purdue. Fleck can just get a better job than Purdue so it's a non issue.

We'll have to see where he lands...

I'd take Brohm here in a minute if he kept Sawvel...

Now you have both Purdue and Indiana starting from scratch. I don't see either of them ever turning the corner.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread just keeps getting better and better. Love it! Never stop leading with the chin, Ruppert!

Any word on who is coaching the Broncos in the Cotton Bowl?

They interviewed Fleck on the ESPN. Didn't catch all of it, but caught the part where he told the crowd that he and his staff would "see them at the Cotton Bowl". Suppose you should assume that will be from the sidelines, not the stands.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2016/12/western_michigan_cotton_bowl_d.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo...s_cotton_bowl.html#incart_2box_news_kalamazoo

Looks like Oregon is only luke warm on him. Now the rumors are Cincinnati. Not the big step up some here think he deserves.

Seems more reasonable as Dantonio, Kelly, went this route. That's a big jump from Western Michigan to Oregon. He must have turned Purdue down.

Looks like Oregon is only luke warm on him. Now the rumors are Cincinnati. Not the big step up some here think he deserves.

Cincinnati is natural and solid step up. Just ask Mark Dantonio, Brian Kelly, and Butch Jones.

Seems more reasonable as Dantonio, Kelly, went this route. That's a big jump from Western Michigan to Oregon. He must have turned Purdue down.

From reports I saw, don't think they even interviewed him.

From reports I saw, don't think they even interviewed him.

I would say he said no to an interview. Just my opinion.

Tough to find a job if he desires to stay in the Midwest. Cincinnati might be the job he has his eye on.
Maybe Kill brings him to Kansas State if Synder retires.

Maybe people are scared of his personality.

What? Kill won't being making that decision. He's not the athletic director. The guy has a one year contract...may not even be back after this year.

I would say he said no to an interview. Just my opinion.

Tough to find a job if he desires to stay in the Midwest. Cincinnati might be the job he has his eye on.
Maybe Kill brings him to Kansas State if Synder retires.

Maybe people are scared of his personality.

Not sure why he would say no...

I think they don't know if he's for real or not yet. Brohm has a much more proven history. Thinking Oregon is in the same boat when evaluating candidates.

Not sure why he would say no...

I think they don't know if he's for real or not yet. Brohm has a much more proven history. Thinking Oregon is in the same boat when evaluating candidates.

I don't agree that Brohm has a much more proven history, or even a more proven history period. Brohm started his paid coaching career in 2003, Fleck in 2007, so Brohm has an advantage in length of time. Fleck has NFL coaching experience (Brohm has none) and an extra year of head coaching experience. Brohm coached at a school that has almost always been good and has a history of sending coaches to better jobs, while Fleck coaches at a school that has generally been a dumpster fire and has little-to-no experience at being a feeder school for higher-level jobs. If anything, I'd say it's a wash when you weigh all of these things together. I still can't believe that Brohm finagled $3M+/yr out of Purdue. He hasn't put up a resume to even approach that level of compensation at a Big Ten job. He'll be in the top half of coaches' salaries and making more than Riley or Chryst.

Brohm is 8 years older than Fleck and played in the NFL for 8 years, so that would give him experience. I think he played for 6 different teams in those 8 years. I agree that $3M a year is huge.

Brohm is 8 years older than Fleck and played in the NFL for 8 years, so that would give him experience. I think he played for 6 different teams in those 8 years. I agree that $3M a year is huge.

Agree. Honestly think Purdue never talked to him at all. Purdue is a QB school, so Brohm make a lot more sense.

I don't agree that Brohm has a much more proven history, or even a more proven history period. Brohm started his paid coaching career in 2003, Fleck in 2007, so Brohm has an advantage in length of time. Fleck has NFL coaching experience (Brohm has none) and an extra year of head coaching experience. Brohm coached at a school that has almost always been good and has a history of sending coaches to better jobs, while Fleck coaches at a school that has generally been a dumpster fire and has little-to-no experience at being a feeder school for higher-level jobs. If anything, I'd say it's a wash when you weigh all of these things together. I still can't believe that Brohm finagled $3M+/yr out of Purdue. He hasn't put up a resume to even approach that level of compensation at a Big Ten job. He'll be in the top half of coaches' salaries and making more than Riley or Chryst.

Agreed, that $3M+/yr out of Purdue is ridiculous. Not sure how you justify that especially knowing that, right now, he is making more than Riley or Chryst who head up much more prominent programs than Purdue. Good for Purdue I guess.

Agreed, that $3M+/yr out of Purdue is ridiculous. Not sure how you justify that especially knowing that, right now, he is making more than Riley or Chryst who head up much more prominent programs than Purdue. Good for Purdue I guess.

Guessing that a donor paid for it. Either directly, or by donating to the general fund.

Guessing that a donor paid for it. Either directly, or by donating to the general fund.

Certain possible. But that is a huge, or YUGE, donation to help cover some of that salary.

Top Bottom