P.J.FLECK to Purdue......

He's obviously waiting for the buyout at Notre Dame to come down and for them to fire Kelly.

I'm just not sure how his divorce will play with the Catholics...I kid.

Honestly I had really never heard him speak and was going on his success and recruiting at Western Michigan. Hearing him over the weekend I can see how there could be fear of his over the top personality and it wearing off. Looks like Baylor, Purdue and Oregon all got good hires.

If you are looking for more insight on PJ Fleck, I'd recommend reading the piece below he wrote for the Player's Tribune. Seems like he really likes Kalamazoo and really does everything for his players. I really like his quote in it to his players where he asks "When are you going to be tired of being average?"

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/pj-fleck-western-michigan-keep-rowing/

Also note that MSU was 3-9 and things could change there if 60 year old Dantonio doesn't meet expectations next year. However, I think by the number of firings this year, AD's are starting to trend back to giving coaches more time.

Everything stated here is possible. What is funny is the "Fire Claeys" crowd was basically going down on PJF and how we needed to go get him as he is the greatest newcomer, most in demand, etc. etc. Then when it is exposed that he isn't all that in demand the only possible conclusion is he loves it at W Michigan, turned all those options down, waiting for something bigger. That is the only option as the alternative would be to admit maybe TC is a better choice at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything stated here is possible. What is funny is the "Fire Claeys" crowd was basically going down on PJF and how we needed to go get him as he is the greatest newcomer, most in demand, etc. etc. Then when it is exposed that he isn't all that in demand the only possible conclusion is he loves it at W Michigan, turned all those options down, waiting for something bigger. That is the only option as the alternative would be to admit maybe TC is a better choice at this time.

It is possible to be both. As you know, I'm an ardent Claeys supporter and believe he is the better choice, but I also think that Fleck sincerely loves his current job and that it would take a perfect or near-perfect situation to hire him away. All of the P5 jobs available this year have major flaws and I wouldn't blame him a bit if it's the case that he wasn't interested in pursuing any of them. I already said as much earlier in this thread. Who knows - maybe next year some combination of Michigan (Harbaugh going back to the NFL), Michigan St. (Dantonio health problems) and Notre Dame (Kelly fired) are open, and he looks like a genius for holding out? WMU will probably bump him up to somewhere in the range of $1.2-1.5 MM/year and he'll have a better job in 2017 than any of the P5 jobs that were available this year.

I was more amused by the fire Clayes crowd insinuation that Fleck was some sort of unknown or something .... that we best pick up sooner rather than later.

Dude is as much a gamble as Claeys in my estimation.

How much demand though I don't think is so much a reflection of how good a coach he could be.... He isn't Texas material or such, but let's not put too much weight in who Purdue picks as a HC.... their choices /= wise decisions.

Fleck was never an option at Texas and who knows what happened with Oregon. Fleck has said before he wants to stay in the Midwest. Plus we just saw Rhule turn down Oregon for Baylor...

So Fleck turned down Baylor than too?:confused:

Couple of things about Purdue hiring Brohm....

Les Miles wanted the job and interviewed. Purdue basically said no thanks. Miles was never a serious candidate mostly because Purdue was looking to go younger with a coach known for developing and QB's and getting people excited over basketball on grass 2.0

P.J. Fleck was never really interested in the Purdue job and there really wasn't much discussion there. That does not mean Purdue wasn't interested - it just means Fleck was looking for bigger and better things.

Jeff Brohm was the next man on the list but was not contacted until Saturday evening. Negotiations took place all day Sunday and it was not a done deal until Monday morning when he got on a plane to West Lafayette. Purdue was legitimately worried about losing him last minute to Baylor or Cincinnati.

This part surprised me - but had they lost Brohm - the job was going to be offered to Penn State OC Joe Moorhead.

Les Miles wanted the job and interviewed. Purdue basically said no thanks. Miles was never a serious candidate mostly because Purdue was looking to go younger with a coach known for developing and QB's and getting people excited over basketball on grass 2.0

P.J. Fleck was never really interested in the Purdue job and there really wasn't much discussion there. That does not mean Purdue wasn't interested - it just means Fleck was looking for bigger and better things.

Jeff Brohm was the next man on the list but was not contacted until Saturday evening. Negotiations took place all day Sunday and it was not a done deal until Monday morning when he got on a plane to West Lafayette. Purdue was legitimately worried about losing him last minute to Baylor or Cincinnati.

This part surprised me - but had they lost Brohm - the job was going to be offered to Penn State OC Joe Moorhead.

It looks like they spent a fair amount relative to Brohm's resume but Les also did an interview about wanting a team "committed to winning a national championship". Now that could just be Brewster type talk from Les... or he was thinking of his expectations on salary and assistant salaries that he wants.

Do you know anything about why they took leave of their senses when they made the salary offer?

I wonder if Limegrover would have been their OC?

Do you know anything about why they took leave of their senses when they made the salary offer?

LOL....I get it man. They had to pay market value to get someone worth a damn. It's not like they gave the guy $400,000 right after finishing the worst season in program history. Purdue has a new AD much like Minnesota. The previous regime was frugal and gave a decent chunk of the B1G Network $$$ to the school's general fund - or whatever it's called. Those days are over apparently. Purdue has deeper pockets than most people think. They are one of a few athletic departments that are self-sufficient. The new regime has been given the green light to spend more money. Much like the Athletes Village going up in Dibkytown - Purdue is also upgrading facilities big time. The basketball practice facility was just completed a few years ago.

Bottom Line - Darrell Hazell was the worst hire in major college FB history. He makes Tim Brewster look like Urban Meyer. They want to get it right this time and were willing to overpay to keep Baylor or Cincy from swooping in.

Found it interesting that Dan Mullen interviewed for Ducks HC position. Not surprised but he's making about $5M now. Remember when he was the shiny new HC object?

Found it interesting that Dan Mullen interviewed for Ducks HC position. Not surprised but he's making about $5M now. Remember when he was the shiny new HC object?

Isn't Oregon just marking time, waiting for the 49'ers to drop the hammer?

He might not be as shiny but Mississippi State isn't an easy job, he has done well there.

He might not be as shiny but Mississippi State isn't an easy job, he has done well there.

Don't disagree. His run is now on par with the last couple who gave it a try. He must be hearing some footsteps...

Don't disagree. His run is now on par with the last couple who gave it a try. He must be hearing some footsteps...

Saw a tweet that Mississippi State is working on an extension for him.

I'd argue Mullen's 60-42 (29-35) is slightly better than Croom's 21-38 (10-30) or the end of Jackie Sherrill.

Probably on Par with Peak Sherill

Top Bottom