Other Big Ten Games: Week One

Kill said this morning that he has never lost a recruit to Wisconsin.

In other words, we go after a different class of recruit. They go after the good ones. We go after the leftovers. Until we are going after the good recruits. It really doesn't matter.

Kill's faired quite nicely so far in recruiting battle against WI. Elmore and Holland, Jr are the ones that pop to mind. Although to be honest, there's been a lot more recruiting battles with Illinois, Indiana, Michigan State, Missouri, and Rutgers lately.

Quick and easy download:

SFZAIXt.jpg

Watching the end of a replay of Becky pissing down her leg against LSU on ESPN-U as we speak........and it is truly glorious and heartwarming to watch. Didn't see the second half of the game last night. Very Mason-esque of them indeed. Welcome to the party on that front Becky. :p

Hopefully going forward it will just continue to be you and not us. Don't want to go back to the future in this instance.

In other words, we go after a different class of recruit. They go after the good ones. We go after the leftovers. Until we are going after the good recruits. It really doesn't matter.

Either way, it could happen and probably will happen at some point. The SEC is the best conference by far. LSU is a top program (even if they may be down this year). It's all about perception.

I don't think it is a big deal either way. My original comments were just that I think we benefit more from WI losing than them winning. Or at the very least it is a draw. Therefore, I will always hope for them to lose. If someone could make a strong argument as to how Wisconsin winning really helps us, then I'll rethink things. But I don't see that happening.

Either way, it could happen and probably will happen at some point. The SEC is the best conference by far. LSU is a top program (even if they may be down this year). It's all about perception.

I don't think it is a big deal either way. My original comments were just that I think we benefit more from WI losing than them winning. Or at the very least it is a draw. Therefore, I will always hope for them to lose. If someone could make a strong argument as to how Wisconsin winning really helps us, then I'll rethink things. But I don't see that happening.

My point of view would be that I want the Big Ten to be as good as it can be.

I'd rather the Gophers improve to be competing in the best conference instead of trying to win the 4th best conference.

So I won't root for the rest of the conference to regress down to give us a chance. I'll root for the Gophers to beat Ohio State and Wisconsin at their best and not wait for them to come down to our level.

I'd rather the Gophers improve to be competing in the best conference instead of trying to win the 4th best conference.

So I won't root for the rest of the conference to regress down to give us a chance. I'll root for the Gophers to beat Ohio State and Wisconsin at their best and not wait for them to come down to our level.

Valid point. But if we can quicken the ascent by them having down years I am all for it. We are recruiting locally against these teams and if helps us by showing we are getting better relative to the rest of the league, I'm all for it.

I don't think I anyone thinks we will be competing for national championships anytime soon. So who cares if the Big 10's stature plummets for a few years.

Fair enough. I would just prefer that programs like Ohio St., Michigan St., Penn St., Nebraska, and Michigan be those top teams than our two biggest rivals in WI and IA.

yeah besides the guys who hold offers from both us and Wisconsin, this makes perfect sense.

yeah besides the guys who hold offers from both us and Wisconsin, this makes perfect sense.

Like an average of 1 recruit per year over the last 4-5 years? Out of 20+ scholarships?

Ya, we're consistently going after the same guys.

I like when Wisconsin loses because it makes me happy. It's pretty simple.

I would rather win the 4th best conference than come in forth in the best conference (it's a stupid scenario considering the Big Ten will never be worse than the third best conference...but oh well). The main reason is that we'll always be behind the OSU's and Michigan's. My entire fandom is really a three-headed monster of us, Wisconsin and Iowa. Be the best of those three and I am happy!

LSU has given the Blue Print for beating Wisconsin. On offense pound the rock, attack the corners. On defense run blitz and stuff the run. Make Wisconsin beat you with the pass. I see Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota beating the Badgers. Coach Anderson has chosen a lighter quicker defense. And has lost 2 starters leaving red shirt light weights. They will attempt shifts, slants etc. but with no up front power they should be driven off the ball every snap.

None of this is true, though. As far as losing recruits to Wisconsin, Keelon Brookins is one that jumps to mind immediately. I am certain there are others.

And the second paragraph is also false. This year's freshman class alone has Elmore and Holland, both of whom were recruiting priorities for Wisconsin.

When you're trying to spin your agenda, you should try harder to make statements that aren't so easily proven false.

None of this is true, though. As far as losing recruits to Wisconsin, Keelon Brookins is one that jumps to mind immediately. I am certain there are others.

And the second paragraph is also false. This year's freshman class alone has Elmore and Holland, both of whom were recruiting priorities for Wisconsin.

When you're trying to spin your agenda, you should try harder to make statements that aren't so easily proven false.

No agenda here. Straight from the horses mouth.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jerry Kill said on <a href="https://twitter.com/KFAN1003">@KFAN1003</a> that since he's been here there's only been one MN recruit he's wanted that went to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Iowa?src=hash">#Iowa</a>, none at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WI?src=hash">#WI</a>.</p>— Nadine Babu (@NadineBabu) <a href="https://twitter.com/NadineBabu/statuses/506099518530936832">August 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And if you wanna pull out a handful of examples over the last 4 or 5 years that we've beaten Wisconsin on. Go ahead. There are exceptions, but in general, we aren't fighting for recruits. If we were, then that tweet above wouldn't exist because we would have lost 10 recruits to Wisconsin by now.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jerry Kill said on <a href="https://twitter.com/KFAN1003">@KFAN1003</a> that since he's been here there's only been one MN recruit he's wanted that went to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Iowa?src=hash">#Iowa</a>, none at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WI?src=hash">#WI</a>.</p>— Nadine Babu (@NadineBabu) <a href="https://twitter.com/NadineBabu/statuses/506099518530936832">August 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

And if you wanna pull out a handful of examples over the last 4 or 5 years that we've beaten Wisconsin on. Go ahead. There are exceptions, but in general, we aren't fighting for recruits.

You mean 3-4 years.

You mean 3-4 years.

Why would I mean that? If anything Brewster was fighting for higher ranked Wisconsin recruits more than Kill is. There are probably more examples from that era.

And if you wanna pull out a handful of examples over the last 4 or 5 years that we've beaten Wisconsin on. Go ahead. There are exceptions, but in general, we aren't fighting for recruits.

I don't care what Kill said, it's a false statement, period. I've shown that already. He flat out makes things up on occasion, and I don't know why he does. I think he's a great coach and I'm behind him 99%. I'd be 100% if he'd knock it off with the little white lies.

As for your second paragraph, you're just plain wrong. As I stated, Elmore and Holland were both badly wanted by Wisconsin, and they're wearing maroon and gold. And that's just in one class. That's not an "exception". Going into Wisconsin and getting a recruit that they wanted hadn't happened in a long time. We've gone after several of the same recruits, and each school has signed some that the other wanted. That is the very definition of fighting for recruits. You're wrong.

I thought this was a Kill discussion. Didn't know you were including Brewster. Nelson, Pirsig are the main two that come to mind.

We've gone after several of the same recruits, and each school has signed some that the other wanted. That is the very definition of fighting for recruits. You're wrong.

Also both wanted Ragnow and probably quite a few others that ended up at a 3rd school.

Holland was barely a priority for Wisconsin. Already had 4 WRs committed and were going to add a 5th in Rushing.

Also you guys don't think a team like Wisconsin beating a team like LSU doesn't help in getting a kid or two from the south or another region, do you? If you can't play for the best you play against the best and playing against a perennial top 20 team every year does wonders in recruiting.

No. For me it's pretty simple, ok to root for OSU,MSU, MICHIGAN PSU, UNL in the game vs LSU last night. Or any SEC team. There are plenty of torch bearers that aren't border rivals and on a rung we aspire to in the near future. For us to move up somebody has to move down and I hope it's one of those two.

Under almost no scenario is it OK to root for the Badgers or Iowa. I would place it in the same bucket as dating your buddie's sister or his ex. You just don't do it.

I'm at our cabin this weekend (in Wisconsin) and I had the game on the radio last night but turned it off in the third. Wish I'd listened to the whole game. We don't have a tv here (by choice) but if I'm up here in the fall by myself, I often go into town at night to watch college football at a bar. Since the family is here, I didn't do that, but I'd have loved to have been in town to watch a Badger meltdown.

One thing I will say, the Badger radio team is excellent. Not like those tools from Iowa who are the worst homers on the planet.

No. For me it's pretty simple, ok to root for OSU,MSU, MICHIGAN PSU, UNL in the game vs LSU last night. Or any SEC team. There are plenty of torch bearers that aren't border rivals and on a rung we aspire to in the near future. For us to move up somebody has to move down and I hope it's one of those two.

Under almost no scenario is it OK to root for the Badgers or Iowa. I would place it in the same bucket as dating your buddie's sister or his ex. You just don't do it.

Dead on.

LSU has given the Blue Print for beating Wisconsin. On offense pound the rock, attack the corners. On defense run blitz and stuff the run. Make Wisconsin beat you with the pass.

No offense Husker, but I'm pretty sure that blueprint was already published and well known.

With the progressof the game, Les Miles is an Expert, Gary Anderson is is Bum. Fine by me. :cool02:

Top Bottom