OSU Postgame Thread

Fun game that felt it was one play from turning and it did on the strip sack for 6.

1. The West division is wide open with 3-4 teams that will be in contention all season.
2. Defense ended up being bad and tOSU made some mistakes in 1st half or it would have gotten ugly sooner.
3. Offense is going to be fun and good all year. I think you keep Potts in his role with a few more carries and then split time with Williams and the young guys if they are up to it. Wiley does nothing for me at this point. Maybe he just needs more carries to get in a rhythm. Hope Mo is not out long term.
4. Special teams is much better. I'm OK with fair catching KO, but why signal instantly? At some point teams will start directing kicks knowing you have no interest in returning it. What happens when Potts has to actually think while the ball is in the air?
5. LB's still terrible.
6. WR's a pleasant surprise and Morgan had good touch on passes. Liked the deep throws that were taken.
7. Pass blocking still a bit of an issue and Morgan had happy feet early in the game, but he settled in.
8. tOSU OL is outstanding.
9. Great crowd. 50,800 did not all show up, but still a great atmosphere.
10. Fleck is a good coach and he likes this team. Will be fun ride the rest of the way.

For several years, we have been waiting for him to show that he could be a difference maker. Last night he showed that. He averaged 14.7 yards per catch last night, pretty good for a tight end; only 9 tight ends in the country average more catch than that in 2020.
He is finally healthy. Also a very good blocker. Excited to see him more and more. Lined up in a lot of spots, will be fun to see how he is used.

I'm a Buckeye fan. I'm just here to wish a speedy recovery for Ibrahim. He is the best back we will see all year. That muscle pop didn't look good and I hate seeing a player go down like that, especially in the 1st game.

I'm also gonna say, I don't get the non call on the obvious targeting call either. I certainly don't think it was intentional, but there is no doubt there was helmet to helmet contact. I've seen it called against the Bucks before for far less.

I've seen a lot of folks complain about the lack of pressure on Stroud. The Buckeyes might have the best oline in the country this year. A lot of teams are going to struggle to get to Stroud.

Anyway, I didn't come here to talk about the Bucks on your page. Just wishing Ibrahim well and I think we will see you in Indy for a rematch.

I've seen a lot of folks complain about the lack of pressure on Stroud. The Buckeyes might have the best oline in the country this year. A lot of teams are going to struggle to get to Stroud.
Thanks man.

I think the reason you hear a bout the lack of pressure was that our DL got a lot of praise from the coaches going into this year so we expected SOME pressure. Didn't get it.

Otherwise vs tOSU we wouldn't have expected much at all ;)

I'm a Buckeye fan. I'm just here to wish a speedy recovery for Ibrahim. He is the best back we will see all year. That muscle pop didn't look good and I hate seeing a player go down like that, especially in the 1st game.

I'm also gonna say, I don't get the non call on the obvious targeting call either. I certainly don't think it was intentional, but there is no doubt there was helmet to helmet contact. I've seen it called against the Bucks before for far less.

Anyway, I didn't come here to talk about the Bucks on your page. Just wishing Ibrahim well and I think we will see you in Indy for a rematch.
Agree with what you've said. MN had trouble keeping up with your big dogs, but I am glad that we were exposed like this in game 1. Gives our staff opportunity to address weaknesses and work on resolving some issues. Good luck this season and I hope you are right about Indy.

Not sure we have another Mo behind those guys that we ... just haven't been playing... :(
I dunno, the year Mo stepped up we were all having the same worries, and through the next few games we all learned we were fine.

Sometimes there's a mentality shift that translates to your playing when you start a game at #1 vs #1 being injured ahead of you mid game.

The good: we put up 31 vs OSU
The Bad: that non cal on targeting
The Ugly: Mo may be out the rest of the season
that is a legit good...particularly in light of some of the play calling. Even when the offense had to scramble to make up for the lack of creativity of the coaches, they often rose to the occasion and made the clutch plays.

But the bad is more than the missed targeting. We have a secondary that gave up huge play after huge play after huge play. That's a problem.

Thanks for the comments about Ibrahim, he is a great back one of the best we have had since the Mason day's. The reason that play should have been targeting was Brown-Stephonson was a defenseless receiver, and then ultimately, helmet to helmet contact. I hope our guy doesn't have a concussion. I don't think the OSU Safety intentionally hit with helmet, he did lead with the shoulder, but the contact ended up helmet to helmet and the referee blew the call by missing that aspect of the play.

Fun game that felt it was one play from turning and it did on the strip sack for 6.

1. The West division is wide open with 3-4 teams that will be in contention all season.
2. Defense ended up being bad and tOSU made some mistakes in 1st half or it would have gotten ugly sooner.
3. Offense is going to be fun and good all year. I think you keep Potts in his role with a few more carries and then split time with Williams and the young guys if they are up to it. Wiley does nothing for me at this point. Maybe he just needs more carries to get in a rhythm. Hope Mo is not out long term.
4. Special teams is much better. I'm OK with fair catching KO, but why signal instantly? At some point teams will start directing kicks knowing you have no interest in returning it. What happens when Potts has to actually think while the ball is in the air?
5. LB's still terrible.
6. WR's a pleasant surprise and Morgan had good touch on passes. Liked the deep throws that were taken.
7. Pass blocking still a bit of an issue and Morgan had happy feet early in the game, but he settled in.
8. tOSU OL is outstanding.
9. Great crowd. 50,800 did not all show up, but still a great atmosphere.
10. Fleck is a good coach and he likes this team. Will be fun ride the rest of the way.
Wiley cannot lower his pads to save his life. He's probably a great athlete but he won't be able to slip defenders by running so tall. Potts, Williams and hopefully a look at Ky Thomas or Bucky Irving please.

There were empty seats all over the place. Unless people bought tickets and packed into the student section there where a lot of no shows.
There were a lot of people in the concourses because of the rain. If you were at the game you know there was a legit 50,000 plus at the game, just ask anyone that tried to find parking on the main campus.

There were a lot of people in the concourses because of the rain. If you were at the game you know there was a legit 50,000 plus at the game, just ask anyone that tried to find parking on the main campus.
Parking issues were because of the state fair and lack of parking on the fair grounds. It was terrible, but I found a new free location I'm excited about.

There was probably still close to 50,000 if people weren't in their seats. I had 10 open just around me the whole game and the upper corner by OSU fans had tons open. I never left my seat so I didn't see the concourses.

Key play of the game was up 4, all the momentum, Mo had just run for a first down, and then he gets 3 yards and we hit the guy last late. It ended up like 3rd and 32.

That was just brutal. We had somewhat taken the game over and the crowd was going nuts.
Agree, that late hit after the play was over was a complete game changer. My optimism of winning the game went WAY down after the forced punt and immediate response by OSU with a TD. Just felt like the air was let out of the balloon.

Otherwise, agree with others view of Dylan Wright. Tanner looked good, stood in the pocket better. Trickett looks real solid. Mo’s loss is a real hit, but now we shift to a more balanced offensive attack with Wright and CAB at receiver.

There were empty seats all over the place. Unless people bought tickets and packed into the student section there where a lot of no shows.
I can vouch that the 6 people I was with went to the student section and not our seats.

Not sure if serious…
He might be able to but can he have enough time for receivers to run 50 yards? Lots of aspects to the play. Part of the reason our pass protection would decent was because we had 6-7 OL in the game at all times. What are you going to do throw a Hail Mary to 1-2 guys and have it picked off and then have 6-9 slow guys try to run him down? Take the lead into the locker room.

-lack of defensive line pressure probably owes more to Ohio State’s dominant offensive line.
- MN running on Ohio State as effectively as they did was extremely impressive. That looks like an Alabama line.
-our linebackers and safeties seem to lack one of either football instincts or athleticism right now and Ohio State capitalized. PJF said Michael Dixon should be back soon. Experience *should* help some. We will need to score.
-felt bad for Swenson. He’s not equipped to defend first round receivers on his own.
-kicking game vastly improved
-BSF88 will be a factor
-DW16 is a specimen with pretty good hands that will only get better.
-ballsy 4th down call in second quarter
-disappointed we left points on the table at the half.
-unforgivable officiating and league oversight. Warren dead to me from this day forward if nothing happens to this crew.
-Gus Johnson is a bootlicking coward
-Ohio State is very talented across the board. Stroud will be excellent
-Wiley is not a running back. Convert to WR or S before it’s too late, kid.
-I’ve always liked Bryce Williams. With this offensive line he could really do things with his extra gear.
- Morgan had ups and downs with a couple great throws and couple horrible throws. Mulligan for the wet conditions.

Much respect for PJF. They came *this* close to upsetting a top 5 team despite lacking key playmakers. This team could be really, really good. Overall pretty excited going forward.

Last edited:

He might be able to but can he have enough time for receivers to run 50 yards? Lots of aspects to the play. Part of the reason our pass protection would decent was because we had 6-7 OL in the game at all times. What are you going to do throw a Hail Mary to 1-2 guys and have it picked off and then have 6-9 slow guys try to run him down? Take the lead into the locker room.

No, people are still ripping his arm strength after years of seeing him throw mostly accurately downfield, including overthrowing Daniel Jackson by a foot last night. Seriously wondering if fans here think he can’t throw it 40-50+ yards?

-lack of defensive line pressure probably owes more to Ohio State’s dominant offensive line.
- MN running on Ohio State as effectively as they did was extremely impressive. That looks like an Alabama line.
-our linebackers and safeties seem to lack one of either football instincts or athleticism right now and Ohio State capitalized. PJF said Michael Dixon should be back soon. Experience *should* help some. We will need to score.
-felt bad for Swenson. He’s not equipped to defend first round receivers on his own.
-kicking game vastly improved
-BSF88 will be a factor
-DW16 is a specimen with pretty good hands that will only get better.
-ballsy 4th down call in second quarter
-disappointed we left points on the table at the half.
-unforgivable officiating and league oversight. Warren dead to me from this day forward if nothing happens to this crew.
-Gus Johnson is a bootlicking coward
-Ohio State is very talented across the board. Stroud will be excellent
-Wiley is not a running back. Convert to WR or S before it’s too late, kid.
-I’ve always liked Bryce Williams. With this offensive line he could really do things with his extra gear.
- Morgan had us and downs with a couple great throws and couple horrible throws. Mulligan for the wet conditions.

Much respect for PJF. They came *this* close to upsetting a top 5 team with a team lacking key playmakers. This team could be really, really good. Overall pretty excited going forward.
I strongly agree on Wiley and I also like your take on Bryce Williams. I would vault him in immediately with more carries and take a strong look at Thomas, too if he is ready to go. But they definitely need to tighten the screws on the defense and make some adjustments. We will not go anywhere if they don't!!

No, people are still ripping his arm strength after years of seeing him throw mostly accurately downfield, including overthrowing Daniel Jackson by a foot last night. Seriously wondering if fans here think he can’t throw it 40-50+ yards?
I was impressed with his arm last night and I'm excited for this offense the rest of the year.

Two things:
1. Did anyone else notice that when they recognized Gable Steveson during the timeout that the scoreboard had his last name "Stevenson"? (shades of he Sandy "Stevens" Stephens ticket printing debacle of a few years ago)
2. Not everyone got the maroon towels as they entered the stadium. We did not get one as we entered, but I forgot about them, as no one was handing them out, and the huge crowd was moving fast to enter the stadium. After we got seated, I noticed not many people were waving them. I realized then, that no one was handing them out when we entered. I waited til the next time out and walked back to our gate and saw three large unopened boxes sitting there. I asked a security guy about them and he just shrugged his shoulders and said to ask the ticket takers. I told a ticket taker that our group did not get towels, and were the three boxes sitting "over there" possibly more towels. He went over and ripped open the box and said "how many do you need?" I took four for our group. I noticed when we left the game, the three boxes were still sitting there. (I went over and grabbed a few extras to give to my friends back home).

Two things:
1. Did anyone else notice that when they recognized Gable Steveson during the timeout that the scoreboard had his last name "Stevenson"? (shades of he Sandy "Stevens" Stephens ticket printing debacle of a few years ago)
2. Not everyone got the maroon towels as they entered the stadium. We did not get one as we entered, but I forgot about them, as no one was handing them out, and the huge crowd was moving fast to enter the stadium. After we got seated, I noticed not many people were waving them. I realized then, that no one was handing them out when we entered. I waited til the next time out and walked back to our gate and saw three large unopened boxes sitting there. I asked a security guy about them and he just shrugged his shoulders and said to ask the ticket takers. I told a ticket taker that our group did not get towels, and were the three boxes sitting "over there" possibly more towels. He went over and ripped open the box and said "how many do you need?" I took four for our group. I noticed when we left the game, the three boxes were still sitting there. (I went over and grabbed a few extras to give to my friends back home).
I got 6 towels. Boxes of them waiting to be taken on the way out. 😃

Pretty sure a lot of people on upper levels stood under the overhang behind the 100s sections to avoid the rain. There were shitloads of people standing behind all the sections all night.

D line was not as good as I thought they would be.
I hate the wildcat play now that Seth green is gone.
Morgan still tends to hold it a second too long and stare down receivers (but he was hardly a problem tonight)
Was happy to see Spahn-Ford catch the ball after 3 years of blocking.
I was thinking these exact things throughout the game. Especially the wildcat....

Top Bottom