OSU Postgame Thread

maybe nit-picking but -
I see a lot of people mentioning they expected more of the D-Line because Fleck was praising them during the pre-season.

I know Fleck is trying to promote the program and promote the players, but comments like that can come back on you in a hurry if you talk about how good a position group looks, and then that group does not perform in an actual game.

I would rather see coaches take the cautious route of "we hope to be better this year." then, if you do play better, that's the time to give the players kudos.

or, to put it another way
"win first, then talk."

maybe nit-picking but -
I see a lot of people mentioning they expected more of the D-Line because Fleck was praising them during the pre-season.

I know Fleck is trying to promote the program and promote the players, but comments like that can come back on you in a hurry if you talk about how good a position group looks, and then that group does not perform in an actual game.

I would rather see coaches take the cautious route of "we hope to be better this year." then, if you do play better, that's the time to give the players kudos.

or, to put it another way
"win first, then talk."
I hope people aren't judging the d-line on one game vs what might be the best O-line in the country. Let's give it a few more games before we decide.

Honestly in situations like this the penalty or SOMETHING should be retroactively applied. Either the player who should have been call for targeting has to sit out the next half, or the refs get fined, or something.
100% agree. He should absolutely be suspended. That's the rule, and you confirmed it was targeting. Can't change what happened in the game, but if you're serious about this and player safety, then he should be suspended this week. That's not even a tough question.

Honestly in situations like this the penalty or SOMETHING should be retroactively applied. Either the player who should have been call for targeting has to sit out the next half, or the refs get fined, or something.
I say both should happen. Sit the player fine the replay officials.

Carry over the 1 game suspension to our re-match in the B10 Championship game.
Such absolute bullshit. The Big Ten replay booth is an absolute joke. How can they not find competent people with 2 eyes that can see and have a minimum of a below average IQ? It's either that, or it's that they are corrupt, because you can't miss that call through misinterpretation of the rule.

Such absolute bullshit. The Big Ten replay booth is an absolute joke. How can they not find competent people with 2 eyes that can see and have a minimum of a below average IQ? It's either that, or it's that they are corrupt, because you can't miss that call through misinterpretation of the rule.
The Big Ten wants to guarantee a tOSU win. 🤑🤑🤑 Everyone is so sorry about the missed calls. Right.

It’s Ohio State Privilege. It’s real. Gophers were threatening to score again, making the game too close for comfort, when the really shameful MBS targeting head shot occurred. From a Big Ten standpoint, Ohio State has to win, ideally by a big spread over an unranked contender. The reason: because Ohio State is the only realistic CFP contender in Big Ten. So Ohio State, like a spoiled child of an uber rich family, gets to play by a “meaningfully relaxed” set of rules in a game with an unranked opponent that looks to be veering away from the “blow out win” script.

There were several targeting call this weekend in other games (including B1G games) that were not as painfully or shamefully obvious, not as clearly intentional, and not nearly as dangerous (MBS is in the concussion protocol). With replay available, the B1G can’t hide behind mass referee stupidity as an excuse. The fact is that Ohio State DBs get to grab and hold when they are in danger of being beaten with no fear of PI calls; and the physically awesome Ohio State OL (unlike Minnesota and other “lesser” programs) really doesn’t have to worry about slow-developing explosive plays being called back for OL holding; and as an equally obvious and flagrant, but not called, targeting penalty by Ohio State (against Mitch Leidner) has taught Minnesota, Ohio State (uniquely in the Big Ten) can reasonably expect that a cheap, super obvious, dangerous, archetypal targeting penalty—which if called could change the course if the game against an unranked opponent—will simply be ignored. Even after 100% evidence by replay, simply be ignored.

Ohio State Privilege: it’s real … and it’s sickening.

Last edited:

I too took a peek at the Ohio State Board. Pretty negative as a whole regarding the Buckeyes play. Felt that we were getting away with holding all night. About 50/50 on the targeting calls. Had much respect for Mo. Felt bad for his injury. Posters felt that the refs cuddled Morgan too much.

Just rewatched the game and now I’m even more pissed. I can’t add the video I shit of the personal foul on Olson, but he was engaged in his block and finishing when the whistle blew. Crap call.

Also, on the long screen pass, something was up with Durr, gassed or something. He made no effort at all.

Article notes that Big Ten now concedes that its referees blew the targeting penalty on BSM (a non-call that effectively ended a Minnesota drive and the game). Article says that there were other controversial calls that mostly favored Ohio State. Unstated is the number of other “non-calls” favoring Ohio State. This isn’t just extraordinarily dumb referees. I believe that because of the need to give Ohio State a safe glide path into the CFP every year, there is a clear “Ohio State Privilege” that played out in our game—and might play out in another tight game with a non-ranked foe. Gophers have to play by one set of rules (tightly called) and Ohio State, if the game gets close, gets to play by a relaxed set of rules regarding holding, pass interference and unfortunately, targeting. What are you going to do?🤷🏼‍♂️

WTF they are gonna do abt. It??? These ppl should be tossed out from their place. FU B1G!!

they are corrupt, because you can't miss that call through misinterpretation of the rule.

Shortened for brevity and accuracy. There is little benefit in over-analysis of what happened.

The league office is even more of a farce than previously assumed if they don’t publicly censure that crew and give a detailed explanation of their reasoning for the non-call. Let’s have it, boys.

Morgan got sacked and it was third and long, but damn, you are at midfield. You have the stones to go for it on your own 29 on 4th down, yet at midfield you don't go with the clock all in your favor.
That's what happens when you don't have confidence in your quarterback's downfield throwing...

If the officials for the ohio state game, would have been bad, they would have been good.

The hit on Brown-Stephens just baffles me. They miss targeting live. They look at the replay, miss targeting there, but determine that he fumbled. Of course he fumbled. He was forcibly struck in the head.
They didn't "miss" it. They deliberately ignored it!

As much as I'm disappointed that we got screwed in a sense as to the refs. I need to root for the Big 10 school.
Unless...OSU has multiple losses, AND we run the table to meet them in the B1G championship game. Then, we might be seen as the team with the opportunity to make the CFB playoffs, in which case we'd get the MN bias calls.

Just rewatched the game and now I’m even more pissed. I can’t add the video I shit of the personal foul on Olson, but he was engaged in his block and finishing when the whistle blew. Crap call.

Also, on the long screen pass, something was up with Durr, gassed or something. He made no effort at all.

I thought that live too. The push was clearly done after the runner was down, but it was also clearly before the whistle.

Top Bottom