OSU Postgame Thread

The good: Feel better about our receivers after CAB.
The bad: At times we were out-coached on both sides of the ball. Especially on defense.
The ugly: The non call on the targeting.

Obviously, a lot to clean up on defense. I know OSU has speed, but, geeze, that wide open? Still waiting for a decent pass rush.

If Mo is out for any time, it'll hurt but we can work through it.

Kicking was a pleasant surprise.

Seems like I'm in the minority so I'll post the hot take:

Not as worried about Mo as I am about LBs. MN has a stable of replacement RBs that can step in and keep the team competitive. The LBs we saw today won't be able to stop a competent run attack all season long. B.R.U.T.A.L. performance. Slow, out of position, constantly making the wrong read.

Was at the game and swear I saw tOSU QB do the Heisman pose on the sideline after the targeting turnover call. Anyone else see that?

The way PJ is talking about Mo in the post-game press conference doesn't sound good for Mo playing again this year. He's really animated with all the other questions and when they asked about Mo, his answer kind of trails off and he hangs his head.

I like seeing Fleck retain confidence at the presser. Still wish he’d say something about the targeting non-call, but he helps take you off of that cliff.

I like seeing Fleck retain confidence at the presser. Still wish he’d say something about the targeting non-call, but he helps take you off of that cliff.
Coaches really aren't supposed to talk about calls or non-calls so not really surprised he didn't address it.

Coaches really aren't supposed to talk about calls or non-calls so not really surprised he didn't address it.
yes but sometimes things just need to be said

One play we had Swenson on an island against one of the best WR in the country. Another we were completely unorganized which resulted in an easy screen TD. Then the strip sack TD. That’s the difference.

Way too many breakdowns that led to very easy TDs for OSU.
Howden was out of the game at some point injured, so Cal Swenson was in. We don’t have a lot of depth or options at safety. All good guys, pretty decent players, but no dominant playmaker there. Lack of pass rush, and very little blitzing, exposed our DBs against the best WR corp in the country. And some of the big plays came in blitzes, per PJ’s presser. Stroud had all the time he needed to slice up up in the 2nd Q. Ohio State really exposed us on the perimeter. We still have contain issues and aren’t quite as fast as the super elite teams. One step slower is a killer. Colorado will be a good test of what this team really is … esp. if Mo is out for the year.

What Gophers in Iowa said plus Boye getting burned on the first 80 yard Td run

The Gophers did much better than I expected and really lost by one TD, if you take out the fumble and/or the spearing hit that was not called. They had about the same number of yards running as passing, 200 each, against Ohio State - and that bodes well. Hopefully, the injured will be back for the conference opener in a month. Morgan opened up the passing game with his new receivers in the second half - wish he had done some of that in the first half, as you knew tOSU would eventually break some big plays. Overall, defense much better than last year, O-line blocking well for Mo, receivers found their groove eventually, as did Tanner. A very good start with great crowd support.

Howden was out of the game at some point injured, so Cal Swenson was in. We don’t have a lot of depth or options at safety. All good guys, pretty decent players, but no dominant playmaker there. Lack of pass rush, and very little blitzing, exposed our DBs against the best WR corp in the country. And some of the big plays came in blitzes, per PJ’s presser. Stroud had all the time he needed to slice up up in the 2nd Q. Ohio State really exposed us on the perimeter. We still have contain issues and aren’t quite as fast as the super elite teams. One step slower is a killer. Colorado will be a good test of what this team really is … esp. if Mo is out for the year.
Still should never have a safety covering that good of a WR all by himself. Way too easy.

The good: we put up 31 vs OSU
The Bad: that non cal on targeting
The Ugly: Mo may be out the rest of the season
The Gophers had a few miscues that would have probably resulted in a different outcome. As usual, tOSU had a twelfth man on the field. They might as well switch from zebra stripes. The non-calls as usual were appalling.

It doesn't help to listen to the fair-weathered sycophantic Fox Sports team.

Give the Gophers credit. They played their hearts out against a very loaded and talented tOSU Football team. They should hold their heads up high.

They will learn from this and do better the rest of the season.

Losing Mo will hurt. Let's hope it is not as serious. I still cannot believe the non-call on the Brown-Stephens hit. If that wasn't targeting, then what is it?

Key play of the game was up 4, all the momentum, Mo had just run for a first down, and then he gets 3 yards and we hit the guy last late. It ended up like 3rd and 32.

That was just brutal. We had somewhat taken the game over and the crowd was going nuts.

The offense should be fine even if Mo is out for the year.

Defense is not very good. You can say the looked bad because it was Ohio St but the amount of defensive breakdowns is pretty alarming.

No D line pressure, slow and continuously out position LBs and DBacks isn’t a good look.
Zero team speed and the worst safeties in the B10

How come no one has the balls to ask Fleck about the hit on Brown-Stephens? Piss poor. 3rd rate media.

Key play of the game was up 4, all the momentum, Mo had just run for a first down, and then he gets 3 yards and we hit the guy last late. It ended up like 3rd and 32.

That was just brutal. We had somewhat taken the game over and the crowd was going nuts.
Agreed. Was an idiotic penalty and even if some will say it was soft, they will call it EVERY SINGLE TIME. Don’t put yourself in that position

Just got home.

I thought the team played great generally.

They took some hits from Ohio State and made some risky play calls to get back in it and a lead.

They took some more and didn't quit and brought the game closer.

I'm proud of them.

Fans leaving seemed generally happy and not disappointed.

Nailed it.
We had all the momentum.
But I called exactly this in the prediction thread. Third quarter holding penalty would force us to punt, OSU would score on resulting drive and never look back.

Watching the Boise - UCF game. Another non-call on an obvious targeting situation. This time it was reviewed, but the review said it wasn't a penalty. Total garbage officiating.

Just got home.

I thought the team played great generally.

They took some hits from Ohio State and made some risky play calls to get back in it and a lead.

They took some more and didn't quit and brought the game closer.

I'm proud of them.

Fans leaving seemed generally happy and not disappointed.
Defense was slow and out of position all second half ...I saw little improvement from last year...That doesn't concern you?

Agreed. Was an idiotic penalty and even if some will say it was soft, they will call it EVERY SINGLE TIME. Don’t put yourself in that position
Agreed. EVERY SINGLE TIME. (Unless you have an OSU jersey on.)

P.S. Forgot to mention how good our kicking game was, for a change. Also, that Mo may be out for the season is a major bummer - no one can replace him as a game-changer. The Gophers will have to rely more on passing now - which is a good thing, anyway - to open up the running game.

Top Bottom