Omaha World-Herald football issue says Minnesota is Nebraska's real rival

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Story says their coaching staff doesn't like ours (while they respect those of Wisconsin and Iowa). "Don't like Minnesota" and resent recent wins by Minnesota, especially last year when Gophers were short 18 players and outcoached and outplayed Nebraska in Lincoln. Says this year's game will be one of the toughest on Nebraska's schedule and that the Huskers could be 6-1 coming into that game.

Reminds me of those guys you work with who really hate some other folks at work, or customers, or something. They hate those people an unreasonable amount of hate for a workplace situation.

But really its their own fuck ups that created those situations for them...

@Illinois
Fordham
Buffalo
@Oklahoma
@Michigan St
Northwestern
Michigan

And the writer sees 1 loss?
OU, NW, and Michigan, at a bare minimum. Could easily be Illinois and Mich St too.

Obviously Buffalo lost their head coach, but if he left the cupboard fairly stocked (relative to the MAC), who knows, maybe one more.

Have Husker relatives on Mrs. Billd's side of the family.

Prior to joining the B1G, there's at least 1 if not 2 generations of Big Red fans that viewed any matchup with Minnesota as an automatic W. Frankly, all available data supported that expectation.

Fast forward to now and there's huge dissonance inside that Husker cranium around Minnesota. The genome says that Minnesota = BAD...while the B1G record and other data indicates Minnesota > Nebraska.

Losing to us really eats at them. When they look in the mirror, they see the big L on their foreheads, with losses to Minnesota a big part of that.

Prior to joining the B1G, there's at least 1 if not 2 generations of Big Red fans that viewed any matchup with Minnesota as an automatic W. Frankly, all available data supported that expectation.

Fast forward to now and there's huge dissonance inside that Husker cranium around Minnesota. The genome says that Minnesota = BAD...while the B1G record and other data indicates Minnesota > Nebraska.

Losing to us really eats at them. When they look in the mirror, they see the big L on their foreheads, with losses to Minnesota a big part of that.
Yeah I think their fans don't necessarily hate us the most, but they can justify losing to established solid programs like Wisconsin and Iowa (puke), while losing to us 3 of the last 4 years hurts especially because it is a greater sign of their fall from grace.

Story says their coaching staff doesn't like ours (while they respect those of Wisconsin and Iowa). "Don't like Minnesota" and resent recent wins by Minnesota, especially last year when Gophers were short 18 players and outcoached and outplayed Nebraska in Lincoln. Says this year's game will be one of the toughest on Nebraska's schedule and that the Huskers could be 6-1 coming into that game.
They'll be 4-3 at best, probably 3-4 and awfully beat up with a zero week game and not having a bye yet, they lay two very physical teams in NW and Michigan before coming here. I'm pretty sure that Covid number was closer to 30 when we went to Nebraska. That's the amazing thing about that win and the Purdue win, we had abou60% of our roster available. As long as we are rent free in Frost and Brohm's heads we are going to keep beating them

We may have had great success vs. Nebraska lately but they are a team that could pull it together quickly just because they still recruit outstanding talent. If they can just coach them up to their expected levels they could rise fast. I think it is confounding to many people (including me) how you can recruit so many 4-5 stars and still be such a lousy team every year.

With their recent records, they must be losing to some other "bad" teams.

When MN first beat Nebraska, was that 2013? I stormed the field.

Nebraska fans that were there are generally nice, but little condescending, basically enjoy this monumental win, it'll never happen again, but happy the little guy got to experience beating big bad nebraska.

While I think that game was storm the field worthy, I would be embarrassed if MN fans stormed field after Nebbie at this point

@Illinois
Fordham
Buffalo
@Oklahoma
@Michigan St
Northwestern
Michigan

And the writer sees 1 loss?
That is an impressive level of homerism right there. The way Nebraska has played in recent years I don't think they can take anything for granted.....and there is almost zero chance they get through those 7 games at 6-1.

Nebraska fans that were there are generally nice, but little condescending, basically enjoy this monumental win, it'll never happen again, but happy the little guy got to experience beating big bad nebraska.

While I think that game was storm the field worthy, I would be embarrassed if MN fans stormed field after Nebbie at this point
I'd be embarrassed if we lost to Nebraska at this point.

I'd be embarrassed if we lost to Nebraska at this point.
True, I think Nebraska has ability to turn it around

I do think leaving b12 hurt them a bit, they lost exposure to recruits in Tx/OK etc they used to get

I have found Nebraska fans to be the most kind, friendly people imaginable… in person.

I have found Nebraska fans to be the most delusional and petty people imaginable, with chips on their shoulders… on social media.

We may have had great success vs. Nebraska lately but they are a team that could pull it together quickly just because they still recruit outstanding talent. If they can just coach them up to their expected levels they could rise fast. I think it is confounding to many people (including me) how you can recruit so many 4-5 stars and still be such a lousy team every year.
According to Rivals going back to 2018 Nebraska has not recruited a 5 star. Roughly 30 4 star players with a recruiting ranking between 15-21. Pretty decent but nothing in the top 10.

2022 class right now is in the 60’s. Only 9 3 stars and zero 4.

Coaching/development, tougher conference, etc

I'll never forget the 4th and 10 play action Limey called for the TD. That win made a lot of people believe in Kill/Claeys, that play changed the game, you could argue it was an era defining play

According to Rivals going back to 2018 Nebraska has not recruited a 5 star. Roughly 30 4 star players with a recruiting ranking between 15-21. Pretty decent but nothing in the top 10.

2022 class right now is in the 60’s. Only 9 3 stars and zero 4.

Coaching/development, tougher conference, etc
Good research! If you look at that 2022 class -- you can see the losses are catching up to them and their recruiting is starting to suffer for it. They aren't able to just land a class full of 4-5 stars every year just because they are Nebraska anymore!

Remember, we have played Nebraska 61 times in our history going back to 1900. We hold a winning record of 34-25-2 against them.

For context, we have played tOSU 52 times going back to 1921.

Remember, we have played Nebraska 61 times in our history going back to 1900. We hold a winning record of 34-25-2 against them.

For context, we have played tOSU 52 times going back to 1921.

Exactly. Nebraska had a streak in the series, but they are behind in the overall series. They are behind in recent matchups. They have fewer national titles. They are behind in the most recent standings.

Whether one looks at the past or the present, the Gophers exceed Nebraska in many ways. Nebraska only looks like the better program if one cherry picks a slice of about 30% of the rivalry.

we have played tOSU 52 times going back to 1921.
Minnesota, Michigan, and Illinois were both founding members of the Big Ten, in 1896. Ohio State joined in 1912.

Ohio State and Michigan have played 116 times.
Minnesota and Michigan have played 104 times.
Ohio State and Illinois have played 103 times.

Obviously there is something missing in this equation, if what you say here is correct.

Back in the 50's and 60's Murray and Woody Hayes made it a point not to schedule Gophers/Buckeyes. Not sure why.

Back in the 50's and 60's Murray and Woody Hayes made it a point not to schedule Gophers/Buckeyes. Not sure why.
That's still only 20 meetings. Would think they've at least played 70-80 times ...

I'd say they're fourth behind Wisconsin and Iowa.....and then probably Michigan.

That's still only 20 meetings. Would think they've at least played 70-80 times ...
Big 10 has never had a round robin football schedule, always somebody off the schedule. Perhaps back in the day when Minneapolis and Columbus were the two locations furthest apart in the Big 10 the train trip was too far.

I have found Nebraska fans to be the most kind, friendly people imaginable… in person.

I have found Nebraska fans to be the most delusional and petty people imaginable, with chips on their shoulders… on social media.
I've been to Nebraska twice, both losses, but still one of my favorite road trips

I prefer Lincoln over madison and IA city

Top Bottom