Omaha World-Herald football issue says Minnesota is Nebraska's real rival

Big 10 has never had a round robin football schedule, always somebody off the schedule.
Then how has Ohio State played Michigan and Illinois both over 100 times?

Perhaps back in the day when Minneapolis and Columbus were the two locations furthest apart in the Big 10 the train trip was too far.
Must be something like this. This makes sense to me. Would mean a lot of missed matchups in the 10's, 20's, 30's, 40's.

Minnesota, Michigan, and Illinois were both founding members of the Big Ten, in 1896. Ohio State joined in 1912.

Ohio State and Michigan have played 116 times.
Minnesota and Michigan have played 104 times.
Ohio State and Illinois have played 103 times.

Obviously there is something missing in this equation, if what you say here is correct.
We never played more than 6 conference games between 1919 and 1956. Starting in 1919 we played Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin every season -- jNW almost every season. Before 1919 we routinely played 3 - 4 conference games. That leaves us 1-2 conference games each year and as GopherPD pointed out Columbus is the farthest city from Minneapolis.

Additionally Michigan did leave the Big Ten for 10 years between 1907-17

Last edited:

We may have had great success vs. Nebraska lately but they are a team that could pull it together quickly just because they still recruit outstanding talent. If they can just coach them up to their expected levels they could rise fast. I think it is confounding to many people (including me) how you can recruit so many 4-5 stars and still be such a lousy team every year.
You can if many of them transfer out after a year or two …

On the topic of playing yearly. I did the math and Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan and NW have made up 55% of all of our Big Ten games.
In another world, Minn and Wisc would've joined Iowa as members of the MVIAA and all three would've became full members of what was the Big Six (would've been Big Nine, I guess!)

Have Husker relatives on Mrs. Billd's side of the family.

Prior to joining the B1G, there's at least 1 if not 2 generations of Big Red fans that viewed any matchup with Minnesota as an automatic W. Frankly, all available data supported that expectation.

Fast forward to now and there's huge dissonance inside that Husker cranium around Minnesota. The genome says that Minnesota = BAD...while the B1G record and other data indicates Minnesota > Nebraska.

Losing to us really eats at them. When they look in the mirror, they see the big L on their foreheads, with losses to Minnesota a big part of that.
Are you sure it is not a big maroon and gold M tattooed on their foreheads? They still think it is 1983 when Nebbie routed the Gophers 84-13. Wake up and smell the rotting corn. 🤢

Last edited:

I have it from a source that I trust that Frost indeed spends a lot of time in bars and with bar girls, his wife is divorcing him and the leaks from the NE athletic department are meant to make firing Frost "for cause" easier to avoid the $20 mill buyout.
At a recent news conference Frost was described as ill tempered and curt.
The ACs must know what is going on and are probably sending out feelers for jobs.
NE may well be a team in disarray this season.

I mean, on paper I get it: star QB of a team that won a natty, had one of the best G5 seasons ever, P5 experience at Oregon, prodigal son returns to lead the program back to glory.

Annnnnnddddd ... scene.

Fail

I'll never forget the 4th and 10 play action Limey called for the TD. That win made a lot of people believe in Kill/Claeys, that play changed the game, you could argue it was an era defining play
Derek Engel made a great catch on that play and Leidner's spiral was TIGHT!

Yeah I think their fans don't necessarily hate us the most, but they can justify losing to established solid programs like Wisconsin and Iowa (puke), while losing to us 3 of the last 4 years hurts especially because it is a greater sign of their fall from grace.
I'm not a Husker fan, but I would have to think this hits the nail on the head. As a Gopher fan, Nebraska has become my second-most hated rival (behind Wisconsin), partly because of how they used to kick our butt, and partly because of how they react to us (and others) beating them now.

Story says their coaching staff doesn't like ours (while they respect those of Wisconsin and Iowa). "Don't like Minnesota" and resent recent wins by Minnesota, especially last year when Gophers were short 18 players and outcoached and outplayed Nebraska in Lincoln. Says this year's game will be one of the toughest on Nebraska's schedule and that the Huskers could be 6-1 coming into that game.
more fuel to the fire...send them packing for another conference once and for all.

I'm not a Husker fan, but I would have to think this hits the nail on the head. As a Gopher fan, Nebraska has become my second-most hated rival (behind Wisconsin), partly because of how they used to kick our butt, and partly because of how they react to us (and others) beating them now.
The Nebraska fans seem to not have much respect for any of the other Big Ten schools...IN ANY SPORT. I'll be rooting for Illinois this coming Saturday.

I personally don't like Bielema. He killed us for years and knows how to coach. He can a bit of an a-hole as well (see "what the card said.")

Frost doesn't know Bielema and I have confidence he will love sticking it to Frost and the Nebraska homers the same way he did to Punky Brewster.

All I know is that I made a bigger bet on Nebraska under 6.5 wins than I did on Minnesota over 7 wins even though I'm quite confident of the latter.

Wow 6.5??? Vegas really trying to get non-Husker fans to come out for the under on that, and hoping that Husker fans stay delusional as ever.

Remember, we have played Nebraska 61 times in our history going back to 1900. We hold a winning record of 34-25-2 against them.

For context, we have played tOSU 52 times going back to 1921.
I remember sitting next to some Nebraska fans at one of the first games against them in TCF Bank Stadium. We struck up a conversation and I mentioned to them that Minnesota leads the all time series. They didn't believe that was possible. They just assumed we have been bad and they have been good since the beginning of time.

We may have had great success vs. Nebraska lately but they are a team that could pull it together quickly just because they still recruit outstanding talent. If they can just coach them up to their expected levels they could rise fast. I think it is confounding to many people (including me) how you can recruit so many 4-5 stars and still be such a lousy team every year.
hm-hmm.gif

We may have had great success vs. Nebraska lately but they are a team that could pull it together quickly just because they still recruit outstanding talent.

Sure, but you could say the same thing about Maryland who is usually in the top half of the Big Ten for recruiting.

I've been to Nebraska twice, both losses, but still one of my favorite road trips

I prefer Lincoln over madison and IA city
Same, seen us play in Lincoln 3 times, it's my favorite B1G road trip. Their actual (in person) fans are overwhelmingly nice and welcoming.

The loser Husker fans on the internet...that's another story.

Top Bottom