OLD MUSIC

The amount of musical talent/genius on this stage is just sick. David Byrne & Richard Thompson with Psycho Killer.

Song of the day, though in Chile where this was filmed, they would refer to it as "Domingo".

Morrissey's classic, Everyday Is Like Sunday.

Song of the Day. Not sure what the heck Tommy is wearing, but appears to be having a good time on stage. The Replacements. Valentine.

I alway thought the opening lyric would have been better as:

Well, you wish upon a star, that turned into a 'planet'...I guess that's right on par, who is left to blame.

"Plane" works just fine though.

This doesn’t fit Ope’s definition of old music ;-), but as I was listening to Richard Thompson’s interview on Fresh Air from earlier this week, I was reminded of the first time I ever listened to him and was blown away on his collaboration with Los Lobos, Wreck of the Carlos Rey, six minutes of propulsive music with his haunting vocals and lyrics-it’s a banger:

This doesn’t fit Ope’s definition of old music ;-), but as I was listening to Richard Thompson’s interview on Fresh Air from earlier this week, I was reminded of the first time I ever listened to him and was blown away on his collaboration with Los Lobos, Wreck of the Carlos Rey, six minutes of propulsive music with his haunting vocals and lyrics-it’s a banger:
When we saw Crowded House in the early 90s (State Theater?), Thompson opened for them with a solo acoustic set. One of the most charming stage personas of any artist I ever saw perform.

I can hear/recognize the Richard Thompson distinct classic guitar in about the first 2-3 seconds.

Thanks for posting, this one had eluded my radar for some reason.

Wherever this was, I wish I had been there. The Cure, Just Like Heaven

Wherever this was, I wish I had been there. The Cure, Just Like Heaven

Robert sounds great there. I saw them back in 2004 at Coachella and they/he were amazing. They were old-timers then..

Robert sounds great there. I saw them back in 2004 at Coachella and they/he were amazing. They were old-timers then..
Just looking through my music collection, I think the Cure would rank #1 on my list of still active bands/artists that I haven't seen live but would like to see perform.

In honor of Paul McCartney turning 80 today The Beatles Channel played the Top 80 Favorite Songs of his (including Wings & solo). Let it Be was tops, with Maybe I'm Amazed runner-up.

This is mine. Band on the Run

Happy Birthday Macca.

Gregg Bissonette explains why Ringo is his favorite song drummer. Pertinent discussion starts at about 5:08 and runs through 12:00

And with drums

Last edited:

Eddie Vedder had vocal issues tonight so PJ had to cancel their gig in Vienna tonight. Bummer. Here's a better day with Yusef-Cat Stevens.

Father and Son

Wasn't sure where to put this but congrats to a First Ave institution. 40 years as a GREAT bartender.

Modern English popped up on the Tonight Show earlier this week.

I Melt With You

This album is definitely in my top 5

Wasn't sure where to put this but congrats to a First Ave institution. 40 years as a GREAT bartender.

Just talked to him last night. Great dude. Great show as well...The Black Angels.

My parents bought me a record set of select performances from Woodstock. Oh man, it is ROUGH. These bands were terrible live. Off key, off rhythm, just unlistenable. Even someone you'd think could hold it together like Santana was bad. The worst is Canned Heat trying to make it through Going Up Country. It's almost laughable. The only ones to sound somewhat decent were CSNY. Not sure if it's the equipment quality, the drugs, the exhaustion, or all three. But wow... The best parts are the recordings of Farmer Yasgur addressing the crowd.

My parents bought me a record set of select performances from Woodstock. Oh man, it is ROUGH. These bands were terrible live. Off key, off rhythm, just unlistenable. Even someone you'd think could hold it together like Santana was bad. The worst is Canned Heat trying to make it through Going Up Country. It's almost laughable. The only ones to sound somewhat decent were CSNY. Not sure if it's the equipment quality, the drugs, the exhaustion, or all three. But wow... The best parts are the recordings of Farmer Yasgur addressing the crowd.
The sound system and setup were really bad. Lots of acid taken by the performers.

I thought The Who and Santana sounded good. Joe Cocker was great.

I always find it curious when artists title a song with something that appears to have no lyrical reference at all. Nothing bad about it mind you, just different.

As it relates to my favorite song by the Clash, perhaps it's just because there was already quite a famously wonderful tune titled Stand by Me, by Ben E King and covered brilliantly by John Lennon.

Train in Vain

I always find it curious when artists title a song with something that appears to have no lyrical reference at all. Nothing bad about it mind you, just different.

As it relates to my favorite song by the Clash, perhaps it's just because there was already quite a famously wonderful tune titled Stand by Me, by Ben E King and covered brilliantly by John Lennon.

Train in Vain

As this is my favorite album, I naturally have an answer. They named it that because the drum beat has some of the sound of a train going down tracks.

Top Bottom