OLB Everett Williams commits!

Welcome Williams!
Did Gopherhole get invaded by the Strib commenters in the past 3 days?

Players, their family, friends, and other recruits read these boards, and we should make Everett feel welcome and valued.
This isn't pee wee soccer, everyone does not get a trophy. Some people think this caliber of recruit can't get the Gophers to become a successful program, I don't see the problem expressing that. Kill's recruiting hasn't been stellar, and although we knew this was going to be the case when he was hired, we still need to recruit better than we have in order to succeed at a higher level.

I think a big part of the lukewarm reaction is due to how Ryan Burns hyped the announcment.

This isn't pee wee soccer, everyone does not get a trophy. Some people think this caliber of recruit can't get the Gophers to become a successful program, I don't see the problem expressing that. Kill's recruiting hasn't been stellar, and although we knew this was going to be the case when he was hired, we still need to recruit better than we have in order to succeed at a higher level.

Everett's recruiting reminds me a little bit of Eric Murray, Mitch Leidner, and Derek Wells - Players that weren't very highly rated, but were regarded very highly by the staff, pursued heavily, ended up committing, and all seem to have very bright futures for the Gophers. Looking at stars and offers is the casual fans best way to evaluate players, but if Kill and Co had this guy in camp and really liked him, I'm willing to bet they see some potential in him.

Also, with the luck we've had with our most recent 4* recruits (Edwards - kicked off, Gjere - retired, Carpenter - never played, Carter - one good year, Libscomb - never made it here, B. Green - never really played, Vincent Hill - never made it here, Sam Maresh - Kicked off, David Pittman - Never played) we should be happy getting 3 and 2 stars that will stick around. Our only successful 4* in the past 5 years would be Cooper, Gray, and Simmons, and even they weren't program changers, just solid players.

I think it is a great get. It is easy to support a football team that's getting great grades, not making the news and improving incrementally every year. The key is making every recruit count and by getting 3-starred recruits all the way through the class, Kill is making sure everyone counts. He is also recruiting where the team has weaknesses, filling holes, so when guys go down with injuries, we have depth. He keeps getting these little classes but that has to do more with players sticking around instead of guys quitting. This will pay off and Williams will be great...love the hair!

Welcome Williams!
Did Gopherhole get invaded by the Strib commenters in the past 3 days?

Never, never, never compare GopherHolers and their overreactions with the stupidity of Strib commenters.

Judging by his video this kid has discipline. Stays with his assignment and does not try to do too much. That discipline in the video posted by Bisker82, translated into a string of scoring plays from the OLB position. Additionally, his patience is the type of underrated skill that a team like the Gophers needs to capitalize on. I think given his current process combined with speed and athleticism he'll gain through physical training in college we get a solid collegiate player.

I am so down I can't even be excited. Sill pissed at Kill for starting Nelson and not having his team fired up and for CONSERVATIVE play calling that saps the guts out of me.

I think your complaints are fighting with each other.

So you wanted Kill to start Leidner? Ok, it's debatable, but nothing wrong with that opinion.
You also wanted Kill to open it up? Ok, it's also debatable (he kind of did).

But together, that's a pure headscratcher.

#1: Leidner has only shown he is successful here in a REALLY conservative offense. Remember, we couldn't throw the ball with Mitch against SJSU. We didn't have to, but we couldn't either. We've played nothing but extremely conservative when Mitch enters the game. That's fine and an argument could be made that we should have brought Mitch in and grounded out a game. But you seem to be arguing that you've something in Leidner to suggest that we should have brought him in opened up the offense? What have you seen that makes you think that?

#2: You also seem to be arguing that we were extremely conservative. . . ok? First, lets assume you're right. What have you seen from our QB play and our WR (especially) to suggest something more aggressive would have been even remotely effective? Seriously?

Second, was it really conservative? We ran the ball twice and then threw on our first drive, but we were backed up to the 10 yard line. IT's hard to argue with that logic. The second drive, we threw twice and ran once. The third drive, we threw twice and ran once. . .

Even before we were down, we ran a pretty balanced offense. It wasn't effective in the slightest, but it wasn't especially conservative. It was borderline run-n-gun compared to the SJSU (where you obviously were please with the playcalling). Did you really want us to come out and throw the ball more than 50% of the time? In the rain? With our WRs?

Kill and the team deserve blame for what happened yesterday, but cmon, playcalling is a bad place to go.

I think your complaints are fighting with each other.

I was really hoping that his comment was sarcastic and based on other complaints in other threads if for no other reason than it was a complete non-sequitir

I think a big part of the lukewarm reaction is due to how Ryan Burns hyped the announcment.

Nah. There seems to be a move afoot organized somewhere to oust Coach Kill. I bet most are friends of Sourpus or some other Viking payroll types who can't stand that they are 1-3 and the Gophs are 4-1. Yeah, it sucks to lose to Iowa as another matter to cause fans to really want to trash the house. And, so it goes on GH! We are the fans who don't know how to love anymore. That is really a pity.

I love my wife and kids. I love my job. I love my country (just not Congress!).

Can't wait for Saturday!

(Note my paranoia. Cultivated right here on GH! Now, that is saying something!)

Nah. There seems to be a move afoot organized somewhere to oust Coach Kill.

Probably not that conspiratorial. Most people don't have the the time or want to make the effort to follow recruiting. Besides that there are to many damn services as it is. So people focus on three things, stars, state rankings and other offers.

People are use to not getting 4 or 5-star players to come here. State rankings seem to have fallen to "did they get the Number One guy or not?" Which is why neither Mason or Brewster got any credit for signing 4, 5, 6 of the top players if they didn't get the 1st and/or 2nd guy.

So that leaves other offers. If a kid has offers from similar or better teams than Minnesota they'll praise the signing. If the kid has few offers or only from the 'Non-Conference Patsy" schools the signing will be viewed skeptically. He'll get thanked for signing, but you won't see a lot of written "high-fiving" going on.

Since the Gophers haven't had a 2nd or 3rd Place finish in the Big Ten since Stoll and Gutey respectively, hard to complain when people are hoping for taking away some prospects from teams that have kicked our butts for years or at least belong to a BCS Conference.

Top Bottom