Ol/DL/LB next year

Williamson and Winfield are DB's

Develop some extra wrinkles???

The time to do that was yesterday. We keep waiting for that extra wrinkle - Seth passes it out of the shotgun, we pass to a TE, etc... and it never happens. If not yesterday with a seven-point lead and 2nd and two from the 35, then when?
I’m still scratching my head at Green not throwing a pass against the skunks.

I’m still scratching my head at Green not throwing a pass against the skunks.
Would it change anything?

The threat of the pass is just ... someone covers the WR and they do that anyway.

With Green out there it's not like they're gonna move the safeties OR LBs around because of the fear of a pass even if he had passed it.

The Badgers lose 2 starters on defense. (very good ones)

4 on offense, assuming Taylor leaves.

I think they are going to be OK.

We are better next year. Better record? Not so sure, but we have a better team. Can not ever be swept again in the border battles. Never ever again.

im optimistic when it comes to the Linebacker group. Of course losing both Barber and Martin will be big loses.
But I like the guys we have coming up....
Marin-proved his worth and he will have a big role for us moving forward
Oliver-got his feet wet this year and he at the very least will be able to provide what he did for us this year as that pass rushing backer
Rush-showed some promise early on but with Martin & Barber getting most of the reps haven't really able to get a good idea of what he can bring.
Gordon-redshirted this year and we had to hang onto him after in-state schools FSU & Miami came in late. He is a good one!
Willis-another guy who redshirted this year who will be able to show what he has
Brown-will be a true freshman but he is a 4 star for a reason and by the reports he is going to be a player on the defensive side of the ball either at LB or DE. Maybe a little Coughlin in him

The Badgers lose 2 starters on defense. (very good ones)

4 on offense, assuming Taylor leaves.

I think they are going to be OK.
Gotta think WI will be favorite win the west based on schedule and talent coming back.

6-1=5

Post less.
Just think how poor MaxyJR1 has had his misunderstanding of our "front seven" improved by my point on post? And what would you have to whine about if not for my excellent posts? Whine on.

We are better next year. Better record? Not so sure, but we have a better team. Can not ever be swept again in the border battles. Never ever again.
I’m not sure the D will be better. I’d bet they won’t. The O should be better. Special teams can’t regress. Hopefully that makes us better.

My best bet is the coaches have a philosophy of becoming masters of a few things rather than a jack of all trades. Execute things well and there is no defense for a perfectly executed route and pass, for example. Problem is if the line can’t protect long enough...is there a counter?

That said, have to think they will take advantage of a mismatch weapon if they come across it (like a Spann- Ford), or try to utilize more misdirection. Is the run game personnel and philosophy being developed to it’s full potential?

I have given up the thought of throwing to a TE or running backs in our system. Don't recruit TE type of kids and if they do, bulk them up to 300 lbs. and we will have athletic guards and tackles that can run the outside zone if we ever do that again. Then play a 6 man line like they have been already using. Coach Kirk has already said we are what we are, and that is what we will do. From what I have seen BSF is a tremendous athlete that they have not even come close to tapping into and I doubt that they ever will. Witham, Green, and Paulson also fit into that category. We had trouble deep down in the Red Zone and tried the fade and wide out to no avail. What about a quick to a 6'6" 260 lb TE. Wisc. showed the damage that can be caused by getting running backs out in 1 on 1 coverage with a LB or DE. Not complaining only wishing..!

I’m not sure the D will be better. I’d bet they won’t. The O should be better. Special teams can’t regress. Hopefully that makes us better.
Yeah, I'm pretty much hoping the D is similar, but shows flashes of improved talent from the highly rated young front 7 players. I think that's a best case scenario. Worst case if the players aren't any better -- just less experienced -- and the D regresses big time.

Hard to see on TV but the kickoff reverse must have been a film study pickup. There was nobody for the Gophers on that half/side of the field.
First two years we were much better on special teams right? New coach just this year?
Seemed to be a weak spot for sure.

The KO players did not stay in their lanes, and it is as simple as that. Outside contain was there but no help from the inside coverage lanes. I would bet my bottom dollar that the coaches harp on that all the time and youth did not listen. This had to happen and hopefully a lessen was learned as painful as it was.

I have given up the thought of throwing to a TE or running backs in our system. Don't recruit TE type of kids and if they do, bulk them up to 300 lbs. and we will have athletic guards and tackles that can run the outside zone if we ever do that again. Then play a 6 man line like they have been already using. Coach Kirk has already said we are what we are, and that is what we will do. From what I have seen BSF is a tremendous athlete that they have not even come close to tapping into and I doubt that they ever will. Witham, Green, and Paulson also fit into that category. We had trouble deep down in the Red Zone and tried the fade and wide out to no avail. What about a quick to a 6'6" 260 lb TE. Wisc. showed the damage that can be caused by getting running backs out in 1 on 1 coverage with a LB or DE. Not complaining only wishing..!
Everyone likes throwing to the TE.

But when your OL has trouble blocking at times I'm not sure you have much time to release a guy downfield when you've got hot WRs.

Everyone likes throwing to the TE.

But when your OL has trouble blocking at times I'm not sure you have much time to release a guy downfield when you've got hot WRs.

I don't think we like to throw to the TEs. PJ seems to like to run the ball a lot and then keep his TEs in to block and give his receivers more time to get open. This is not merely a product of our line play, I believe it's our scheme.

It's not an uncommon scheme at all, the Rams were known to only send 2-3 people out on routes. It's a way to counteract exotic blitz packages and I think it's part of our offense for good.

I don't think we like to throw to the TEs. PJ seems to like to run the ball a lot and then keep his TEs in to block and give his receivers more time to get open. This is not merely a product of our line play, I believe it's our scheme.

It's not an uncommon scheme at all, the Rams were known to only send 2-3 people out on routes. It's a way to counteract exotic blitz packages and I think it's part of our offense for good.

I think it works too when you have a QB and receivers as good as we have.

I think it works too when you have a QB and receivers as good as we have.
It does, but leaking a TE on occasion would be nice and quite effective. We recruited Spann Ford’s unique talents to make him into a 400 pound blocker? Seems kinda silly to me?

It does, but leaking a TE on occasion would be nice and quite effective. We recruited Spann Ford’s unique talents to make him into a 400 pound blocker? Seems kinda silly to me?
BSF must be thinking the same thing.

Bob, that is what I was trying to say in a nice way and what Coach Kirk has told us.... don't expect some big changes or anything different. We are what we are. And that is ball control, clock management, time of possession, and when needed.... throw to our stable of good wide receivers to keep opponents from loading the box. That all works good until you run into the teams that keep winning the titles with good defenses.(Badgers,Buckeyes, Mich., Mich. St, Iowa) the teams that we need to beat to reach our goal of winning championships. This is the Big Ten with a bunch of good coaches and if you are not going to change, you need to add some new wrinkles into your system to be competitive. Wisc. defense physically shut our running offense down period, and you saw what happened when their corners played aggressive against our WR. That left us with nothing else but to throw quick slants and shorter passes as they turned up the heat with their blitz packages. If they are not going to throw to our TE's..... recruit more linemen, guards, tackles and TE but bulk them up to be tackles and guards, like Gale Gilingham, and Joe Thomas and run the Max Pro with 6 linemen that they have been doing a lot of this year. You give Morgan and our receivers time, he can make things happen. Against the teams we need to beat we have to make changes. Just my thought. I am totally happy with Coach Fleck and his staff, and have full confidence they will figure out a way to get over this hump.

Last edited:

How big is BSF?

Is he big enough to be the 6th lineman and throw the occasional pass to? That's what you need. Putting 6 OL out there you know won't go out for passes doesn't stretch the defense.

Could BSF switch to defensive end? We have had success with doing that before.

Probably a stupid question as I've never played football, however the thought came across my mind yesterday as I was enjoying watching WI self destruct. In a goal line type situation (or 4th and 1 for that matter) would a defense ever sub in some big OL to line up on the DL? For example, put in Mr. Faalele at nose tackle and see if he can get a push into the backfield. Is there a rule against this? Why have I never seen it?

Probably a stupid question as I've never played football, however the thought came across my mind yesterday as I was enjoying watching WI self destruct. In a goal line type situation (or 4th and 1 for that matter) would a defense ever sub in some big OL to line up on the DL? For example, put in Mr. Faalele at nose tackle and see if he can get a push into the backfield. Is there a rule against this? Why have I never seen it?
It's not common but I saw the Gophers do that with Norries Wilson. He hit the center and pushed him backwards into the QB stacking the play up.

Renner was a beast all year. I think we will miss him more than we realize

I agree however did you know before the season Sam would play this well? there will be another guy to step up next year
the cupboard is not bare and it is an exciting time to be a fan

Regarding BSF, I recall hearing Coach Fleck make a pretty strong comment to a reporter about BSFs talent and hinting that we will see a lot more of his talent on display as he develops. Maybe the offense will gradually add (and actually run) plays for him.

Top Bottom