Ol/DL/LB next year

Marooned

Reaction score
WI beat us with their line play on both sides of the ball and their LBs. on both sides, they won the battle in the trenches.
I'm encouraged for next year that our entire OL will/should return. DL and LB are question marks for me losing a few key pieces. To win games like today’s we’ll need stronger play in the trenches without a doubt. Shall we be confident an older/wiser OL will do that for our offense? Who’ll be stepping up next year on the DL/LB units? If we improve on the lines, I see an even better team next year.

I have thought the same thing. We need a pass rush. It seems the only way we can get pressure on the QB is if we blitz. We need a true pass rusher that can be disruptive. Carter Coughlin is a good player but not a true rush end. We saw what Epenesa can do. We need someone like that.

Without getting a couple of excellent transfers for the D line and/or linebackers I can not see the team, overall, being as successful let alone better. As I have stated before, if we had better players on the bench they would have been starting by now.

Teague, Schad, Mafe, Cheney all had moments this year. Recruiting has had some nice defensive ends in the pipeline although who knows if or how soon they’ll contribute or emerge. Linebacker will be really young but same story there. Have to have faith some of the guys will emerge.

Offense should hold serve or even better if they develop some extra wrinkles with Spann Ford, etc.
We saw tonight our defense needs better talent. There is promise there IMO.

Our D-Line next year will need some growth.

Mix-match. Lot more guys with less experience but maybe one or two with a higher ceiling.

I would expect a transfer to be welcomed again however.

Linebacker is the position I am most concerned about. I liked what I saw in Oliver and Marin. I also like what I hear/read about a couple freshmen who are redshirting.

I feel confident that the defensive line will improve. Fleck has recruited heavily in the defensive line the last year or two. The offensive line comes back in tact. Hopefully we can add more depth to the six OL that played this year.

I posted a few thoughts in my own thread, but I don't know what to make of the offensive line. It's great that they are all coming back, but there was no "nasty" there. It's unusual that we don't trust anyone to come in to be the 6th lineman outside of the top 6 guys on the roster. I listen to all the Gopher football info I can (podcasts etc) and I haven't heard much at all about the offensive lineman behind the top 6. I head one thing months back from Ryan Burns that the staff thinks they hit on Gudet and Boe, but that's literally all I can remember.

On the Dline, no Carter Coughlin will be an issue and Winston DeLattiboudere was considered to be a big time leader. On the interior Sam Renner came out of nowhere to have a really nice Senior season. There is still Schad, Teague, and Dew-Treadway on the inside and you'd hope that one of the highly ranked 2019 kids will emerge as well.

Linebacker seems like the biggest possible regression point to me. It didn't seem like Barber had a great year, but Martin was really good when healthy and the other options behind those two were noticeable weak spots. Obviously guys like Sori-Marin and Oliver can improve but what happened to Thomas Rush? He flashed as a Freshman, but seemed to really struggle this year in his limited playing time. It seems like the linebacker spot is where we could really use another grad transfer that can play in the mold of a St Juste or Dew-Treadway.

One other thing I am slightly concerned about is how few Fleck high school recruits have impacted our defense so far. He's hit it out of the park on transfers like Williamson, OJ Smith (for a few games at least), Dew-Treadway, and St. Juste, but there hasn't been a Bateman or Morgan (or arguably even Faalele or CAB) type impact from any of the defensive recruits yet (Howden probably biggest impact and he walked on initially). That will have to change in a big way for next year not to be a step back.

Special teams needs alot of work to/if not a new coach
Hard to see on TV but the kickoff reverse must have been a film study pickup. There was nobody for the Gophers on that half/side of the field.
First two years we were much better on special teams right? New coach just this year?
Seemed to be a weak spot for sure.

O-line almost has to be better next year. We return everyone and there are strong reviews on Guedet and Cooper which should provide more depth. Having only 6 that the staff trusted this year hurt because when there was an injury we had to re-shuffle the deck.

I think the D-line will also be better. We get MDT, Teague and Schad back at DT. DeAngelo Carter and Rashad Cheney appear to be making noise and should be in the rotation. Mafe and Otomewo have the skill set and profile to play and be effective against the run and pass at DE. It's time for them to take the next step. Early reports are that the freshmen d-linemen from this year are for real and could end up being the best we've had.

At LB, Barber really struggled this year. Martin will be difficult to replace, but Oliver got quite a bit of playing time and looks the part. It will be interesting to see if Gordon or Willis are in the rotation in spring practice.

I always love “nasty” OL talk.

Teague, Schad, Mafe, Cheney all had moments this year. Recruiting has had some nice defensive ends in the pipeline although who knows if or how soon they’ll contribute or emerge. Linebacker will be really young but same story there. Have to have faith some of the guys will emerge.

Offense should hold serve or even better if they develop some extra wrinkles with Spann Ford, etc.
We saw tonight our defense needs better talent. There is promise there IMO.

Develop some extra wrinkles???

The time to do that was yesterday. We keep waiting for that extra wrinkle - Seth passes it out of the shotgun, we pass to a TE, etc... and it never happens. If not yesterday with a seven-point lead and 2nd and two from the 35, then when?

Develop some extra wrinkles???

The time to do that was yesterday. We keep waiting for that extra wrinkle - Seth passes it out of the shotgun, we pass to a TE, etc... and it never happens. If not yesterday with a seven-point lead and 2nd and two from the 35, then when?

My best bet is the coaches have a philosophy of becoming masters of a few things rather than a jack of all trades. Execute things well and there is no defense for a perfectly executed route and pass, for example. Problem is if the line can’t protect long enough...is there a counter?

That said, have to think they will take advantage of a mismatch weapon if they come across it (like a Spann- Ford), or try to utilize more misdirection. Is the run game personnel and philosophy being developed to it’s full potential?

Should be overall more depth next year. Yes we lose a lot of star power....but expect 1 or 2 to emerge like they always do.

Linebacker is the position I am most concerned about. I liked what I saw in Oliver and Marin. I also like what I hear/read about a couple freshmen who are redshirting.

I feel confident that the defensive line will improve. Fleck has recruited heavily in the defensive line the last year or two. The offensive line comes back in tact. Hopefully we can add more depth to the six OL that played this year.

I'm not that worried about linebacker. I think Oliver and Sori Marin are very capable fill ins for Martin and Barber. Gordon, Willis, Aune, and Rush is the group that will likely be called upon to also contribute, this group has a lot of speed. I also feel confident in the dline improving considering the caliber of players that have been added as well as the fact that coach Panagos is known for doing an amazing job as a dline coach.

I'm not that worried about linebacker. I think Oliver and Sori Marin are very capable fill ins for Martin and Barber. Gordon, Willis, Aune, and Rush is the group that will likely be called upon to also contribute, this group has a lot of speed. I also feel confident in the dline improving considering the caliber of players that have been added as well as the fact that coach Panagos is known for doing an amazing job as a dline coach.

I am really excited to see our DL grow. We need to find a way to generate a pass rush and that was our biggest problem this year.

I think Sori_Marin can fill right into Barber's place and we have a lot of young guys who could emerge at LB. Aune played well in nickel packages, Oliver flashed on 3rd downs, and the staff always talks up Willis and Gordon.

My best bet is the coaches have a philosophy of becoming masters of a few things rather than a jack of all trades. Execute things well and there is no defense for a perfectly executed route and pass, for example. Problem is if the line can’t protect long enough...is there a counter?

That said, have to think they will take advantage of a mismatch weapon if they come across it (like a Spann- Ford), or try to utilize more misdirection. Is the run game personnel and philosophy being developed to it’s full potential?

Let's not forget that Fleck has been a head coach for only seven years and did not come out of a well established system like Wisconsin's (1990). Wisconsin just plugs in a new coach from Alvarez handing over the reins to Bilema (played for Hayden Fry at Iowa 1989-1992, was Defensive Coordinator for Wisconsin 2004-2005), and eventually to Chryst (Played for Alvarez 1986-1988). They have a system and years of coaching acumen.

PJ Fleck is starting to build a program that hopefully be as successful as Alvarez'. The Gopher coaches are also learning as they go along. IMHO, they got out-coached by Wisconsin on top of Wisconsin having more depth and athletes.

So, I look for the Gopher to morph their playbook as they go along to take advantage of the talent that they have. They adapted their scheme to fit Tanner Morgan. Why not do the same thing with TE play and Brevyn Spann-Ford? They will evolve and get better. I see good things for the Gophers.

Hard to see on TV but the kickoff reverse must have been a film study pickup. There was nobody for the Gophers on that half/side of the field.
First two years we were much better on special teams right? New coach just this year?
Seemed to be a weak spot for sure.
When you watch the kick off the majority of the players are to the center of the field. They all seem to go to where the ball is kicked to. So if it kicked to the left side of the field they all go there meaning no one is covering on the outside (right) to watch for a reverse of some sort. Noticed that a long time ago, but until the Wisconsin game didn't seem to bite them too hard.

I agree though, the whole special teams needs a overhaul of some sort, whether it be coaching, philosophy, type of players etc.

Let's not forget that Fleck has been a head coach for only seven years and did not come out of a well established system like Wisconsin's (1990). Wisconsin just plugs in a new coach from Alvarez handing over the reins to Bilema (played for Hayden Fry at Iowa 1989-1992, was Defensive Coordinator for Wisconsin 2004-2005), and eventually to Chryst (Played for Alvarez 1986-1988). They have a system and years of coaching acumen.

PJ Fleck is starting to build a program that hopefully be as successful as Alvarez'. The Gopher coaches are also learning as they go along. IMHO, they got out-coached by Wisconsin on top of Wisconsin having more depth and athletes.

So, I look for the Gopher to morph their playbook as they go along to take advantage of the talent that they have. They adapted their scheme to fit Tanner Morgan. Why not do the same thing with TE play and Brevyn Spann-Ford? They will evolve and get better. I see good things for the Gophers.

This is something I've been curious about. Do we know for sure that the scheme would have looked different had Annexstad not gone down?

Some players can make great strides in the off-season, from average to very good. That's one route to line improvement.

My read on the different position groups heading to next year:

D-Line: Biggest area where we will need to replace guys but nobody we are losing is irreplaceable and D-Line has not been a strong suit around here for a long time. Hope is that some of the guys waiting in the wings can step up and we can finally have a strong pass rush from the defensive line. Has been a long time since we have had that.

LB: Martin is a big loss but we have played with out him for stretches of the year and I think we will be fine with the guys that are returning along with the new faces.

DB: Williamson was solid and obviously the big question is what does Winfield do. If Winfield comes back the secondary should be very good again next year, if he goes pro it will be on one of the young safeties to step up and fill some big shoes.

OL: Should be bigger, stronger, and deeper next year.
QB: Starter would seem to be set, will be interesting to see what the backups do, will any transfer?

RB: Mo probably becomes the feature back with the other guys mixing in around him. He looked pretty good in that role in 2018.

WR: Bateman is ready to be the man and CRAB looks ready to take over as the #2 guy. TJ developed into a heck of a receiver during his time here but I don't think this group takes much of a step back if any with him moving on to the NFL.

Special Teams: Need to find a new Punter and kicking game as a whole needs to improve across the board.

All in all this team should be very good next year. New faces on defense but that may be a good thing in many ways. The local seniors that are departing (Martin, Barber, Coughlin, Johnson....) did some great things for their homestate program and hopefully helped pave the way for bigger and better things in the years ahead.

The whole OL returning thing makes me nervous.

So many times "hey they're a year older" doesn't make for a better player.

The whole OL returning thing makes me nervous.

So many times "hey they're a year older" doesn't make for a better player.

I'd take some comfort in the fact that Schlueter got better, Dunlap got better, could make a case that Falalele got better, didn't really think anyone regressed so overall it looks like you should expect guys one year older to be one year better,

I'd take some comfort in the fact that Schlueter got better, Dunlap got better, could make a case that Falalele got better, didn't really think anyone regressed so overall it looks like you should expect guys one year older to be one year better,
I hope so.

I've fretted about our OL for so long that it feels endless sometimes ... probabbly colors my view on OL maturity and CFB a bit. Line play is one of the most confusing things to me.

This is especially true with offensive lineman. Having the whole offensive line coming back is huge for next year. Hopefully we can add some depth to that group as well so that as opposed to just being 6 deep we can push that # out closer to 10. I would look for guys like Schmitz and Andries to make big jumps in play as they transition to being upper classmen. Faalele and Dunlap should just keep getting better as well with more age and experience.

Quick look at the front seven on defense and we are expected to lose 5 in the two deeps.

WI= 5 in front seven
IA= 4 in front seven
NE= 5 in front seven

OL we lose zero

WI= 2
IA= 2
NE= 0

Overall two deeps

MN loses about 14 in two deeps
WI= 16
IA= 14 and including QB
NE= 14

Who has better recruits to fill the spots?

Quick look at the front seven on defense and we are expected to lose 5 in the two deeps.

WI= 5 in front seven
IA= 4 in front seven
NE= 5 in front seven

OL we lose zero

WI= 2
IA= 2
NE= 0

Overall two deeps

MN loses about 14 in two deeps
WI= 16
IA= 14 and including QB
NE= 14

Who has better recruits to fill the spots?

How do you figure we lose five of the front seven? Six starters plus Winfield (?) will be leaving. We play a front six, only one of whom is returing. Plus Williamson, plus Winfield (?).

Top Bottom